Routing together all the elements that make up your drums

Discussion in 'Production' started by marcelkennard, Aug 18, 2011.

1. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

May 30, 2008
    Personally I've found a formula that works quite nicely and am pretty happy with it, I thought I'd share it, as havn't shared much of my own ideas yet, just learning from others.

I start with tracks ready for kicks, snares, ghost hits, and breaks/percussion, for which I highly recommend using rex files in a sampler- in my case the exs24.
    I process all of these tracks purely with subtractive EQing, and transient shaping
    I then start routing. I do this by changing the output of the kick tracks to the input of my kick bus, the snares to a snare bus, the ghost hits to a ghost bus, the breaks and percussion to a percussion bus.
    With all of these groups, I will separately process, using further eq and compressors etc.
    I then change the outputs of all of these buses to route them all to my DRUMS bus.
    Of course I apply some processing to the drums bus too, filtering eqing and compression etc etc.
    I then set the drums bus to NO OUTPUT. This allows me to use the sends on the drums bus channel to split the frequencies.
    I create 2 sends and have them both at the same level - 0.0 in the case of logic.
    I send to 2 different buses I label Mono and Stereo.
    On the Mono bus I use only Logics Multipressor and Solo the first frequency band and set the band to range from 0 to about 300 HZ.
    I make sure the Mono bus is also actually operating in MONO lolzzzzzzzz
    Then basically just do the opposite for the stereo- multipressor, solo all the bands above 300 hz and operate in stereo.

Anyone got any other interesting methods?
  2. DjQuash

DjQuash New Member

Aug 18, 2011

snares to snare bus - Transient design in playlist & compression, both on the individual hits & the bus

Percussion to percussion bus - compression + saturation & placement

Kik bus & Snr bus to group - enhancement / compression if needed

Kik + Snr group & percussion bus to DRUMZ Bus - turn up snare and squash back in with bus compressor.
  3. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Dec 5, 2005
    I use Ableton Drum Racks, this is essntially a group of channels with hits on their own channels

Usually I will have lots of diffrent racks, first rack is Kick and Snare, 2nd rack Hi-hats, maybe a 3rd with Hi-hats, and a 4th with other percussion

all of those get grouped up (routed to one bus), then depending on the sound I will add Parallel Limiting & Compression

I always group my percussion up together and compress it together
  4. t0rben

t0rben Member

Aug 16, 2011
    dunno if it fits in this thread but how would you send an individual slice of a drum rack to a return track?
    i was thinking of doing a detour trough another audio track but it wouldn't even let me edit the "audio to" field..

maybe you can help? :)
  5. Urquelle

Urquelle New Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Little confusing set up IMO :D If i would want some effect chain limited to one frequency range, i`d record the part with effects or one after another.
    This way i have my basic set midi triggered, and some parts sliced up effect wise on another audio track. no need to route all the things. And i have the flexibilty i need,
    are there any cons to this workflow?