Rounder - This Man - Feedback Appreciated

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Rounder RG, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Rounder RG

Rounder RG Active Member

My first attempt at trying to use single hits layered on top of a few breaks to get some clean percussion sounds.

All feedback welcomed.

2. BinstonVanGogh

BinstonVanGogh New Member

Forstly im listening on headphones....

Think the drums are nearly there, for me the snare sounds like the samples need tuned to work together better.

I can faintly here the bass think this could be a little more prominant in the mix. Might be headphone related..

Quite like the vocal fx.

Could maybe do with a new element of interest that ccomes in at the end of every 32 bars to add subtle interest like a special sound or drum fill.

Good vibes though.

Would appreciate feedback on my own track if you can :)

3. Rounder RG

Rounder RG Active Member

Nice one. Thanks for the feedback.

Well aware that I need to work on some drum fills, just lost the enthusiam for this one by that stage. I'll focus on that in my next project.

Bass sounds quite solid on my setup, be interested to hear what other have to say on this point.

Thanks again. I'll try and check out your track in a bit.

4. BattleteK

BattleteK Active Member

Yes the drums are very loud compared to the bass imo, listening on Yamaha HS80's. Tune has vibes tho, percussion sounds creative.

5. Rounder RG

Rounder RG Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've been referencing against some old commix and spectrasoul tunes that I love and thought I was getting the levels about right. Might have been over compensating a little as the last track I did felt a bit swamped by the bassline. Maybe I'll get the balance correct on the next track :)

Thanks again for taking the time to listen. Had a good nose around your soundcloud pages and you both have some wicked stuff on them.

6. BattleteK

BattleteK Active Member

Yeah, well it's a matter of taste indeed how you like the mixdown, there's no wrong or right I guess (I'm also no engineer). Anyways, Keep it up! :) don't have too much too add, tune sounds atmospheric!

7. momentuk

momentuk Member

Pretty much re-stating what others have said... A little tip that might help, a lot of tracks I reference to have the sub bass fundamental frequency (around 40-60Hz) at around 10dB louder than the kick drum... Then adjust the mid-range sound bass (if you separate your bass into different frequencies) so that it sounds at a good level with the sub. Hopefully I've explained that well... Nice work though man, other than the snare needing a little bit of work, the drums are sounding good!

8. Rounder RG

Rounder RG Active Member

Nice one. I understand what your saying and will try adjusting the volume on the seperate splits of the bass sound. I have been splitting and processing at different frequencies but haven't really adjusted the volumes significantly.

I'll try and incorporate all the advice into the next track I attempt. I'm a pretty slow worker at the moment so I'll have another track ready around about April at the current rate :)

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

9. maschinistom

maschinistom Active Member

nice tune man! flows really well. could use some more EQing .. what equipment are you using?

10. Rounder RG

Rounder RG Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Not a lot of equipment, a copy a Logic Pro X, a bunch of free vst plugins and an Akai MPK Mini MK2. I mainly work with samples I've taken as I don't have loads of synth plugins, nearly all of this track was created from chopping a single 20 second R&B intro up into pieces and throwing them into the EXS24 sampler within Logic.

10 points to anyone who can spot the sample :)

I try and copy this work flow as LSB gets pretty good results with it!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  11. BinstonVanGogh

BinstonVanGogh New Member

Nice way to work man! Never seen this tutorial gonna check it out later

12. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I bet if you used that tutorial above and incorporated some of those strongly eq musical sample that are not all that loud and drone-esq, it would make the track sound fuller. Also, I don't think the snare is bad like some of the comments. I really don't like the tonal quality of the bass though. Just personal taste. The hats and musical quality of your track is great. I really enjoyed this track.

13. Rounder RG

Rounder RG Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate you taking the time to listen and offer up some ways to improve it.

Really happy that people seem to like the vibe of the track. I know the track is a little lacking in production quality but hopefully that will come with time.

14. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Yea man, we all want to make perfect tracks but it takes practice and knowledge. Till then just enjoy your craft.