Rounder - Foolish Heart - Feedback Appreciated

mastering is lovely first thing i noticed actually... not my style of music tho so cant really comment on the tune.. piano licks are a little too loud to start with with tho kick could be more present? nice song... updaated* REALLY growing on me.. bachelors of science-esque

Hi rounder, better late then never ...
Agree to the above, really sweet tune this one! And yes, misti seems to be a very talented mastering technician.
I like the vibe of your tune, so easy going. Drums sound superb imo. For my taste of music there is too little going on, I'd probably add some variations, but that would destroy the nice laid-back atmo of this track. Very well done, sounds fantastic! :2thumbs:

Really refreshing, nice work! The piano and vocals are quite dreamy.
My only criticism would be that I also think the melodies could be expanded on, maybe adding a few tinkering soprano lines would fill the space in nicely and give more variety?
I can see this as a fantastic tune to double drop with though as it's nice and airy.

0:46 when the vocal gets the spotlight, you can hear some muddy artifacts in it. I'd low cut aggressively. Try a high pass anywhere from 200hz to 700hz and see what works to remove those. Shouldn't take away from the vocal sound at all.

Other than that, you've got a pretty nice unique touch going on. As others have said, more details would be great. In any case: PRETTY!

Personally I'd like to have the bass booming a bit more. Maybe just needs to be turned on? Cool bass sound anyway, it sounds pretty unique.

If you want to go all out sounding like High Contrast and stuff, add some drum fills here and there. (like toms banging and everything)

Very awesome track! Random Movement vibe! Snare is not really my type, but it fits for the track and the atmosphere. Really like how the pads and bass work together, it all surfs nicely on top of the moving bass :) How did you make the bass and what are those vocals? Piano sound at 1:17 can be a touch lower in volume maybe.

Thanks for the feedback all. Actually had an offer from a label for this one (which I was properly chuffed about) but have turned it down due to legal stuff with sample clearance. I'm probably worrying too much but just can't be bothered with it. I turned off public downloads for the same reason, if anyone wants a copy send me a PM.

Heres what the original sample sounds like if your interested but you'll have to get digging to find the artist. I took both the piano and vocal.

Foolish Sample

Bassline was made with the free Dune CM synth. Just a couple of sine waves with a bit of a square wave thrown in. I copied the channel 3 times, used some filters to make one the sub, one the mids and the other a top end. Added a combination of different distortion plugins and fliters sweeps. Compressed it all back together in a group channel and side chained it to the kick.

I basically used Villem bass chain idea but just did it by copying the channel rather than routing it around. His is the way to go.

I'm off to try and make a track without any noticeable samples!

Thanks for the feedback all. Actually had an offer from a label for this one (which I was properly chuffed about) but have turned it down due to legal stuff with sample clearance. I'm probably worrying too much but just can't be bothered with it. I turned off public downloads for the same reason, if anyone wants a copy send me a PM.

Heres what the original sample sounds like if your interested but you'll have to get digging to find the artist. I took both the piano and vocal.

Foolish Sample

Bassline was made with the free Dune CM synth. Just a couple of sine waves with a bit of a square wave thrown in. I copied the channel 3 times, used some filters to make one the sub, one the mids and the other a top end. Added a combination of different distortion plugins and fliters sweeps. Compressed it all back together in a group channel and side chained it to the kick.

I basically used Villem bass chain idea but just did it by copying the channel rather than routing it around. His is the way to go.

I'm off to try and make a track without any noticeable samples!

hello again, this is an interesting lengthy explanation how you worked on this, thx !
you are right to follow mr villem and his video tutorials, this guy is really helpful.
and I agree, his packs are well worth the bug, pure quality imo.
i think you should have agreed to releasing this track on that label.
who knows when you get the next chance, and if releasing music is your plan, why not.
it seems to go well with most people these days using lots of samples, so no worries about that.
not sure about the legal situation though, don't know where the piano/vocal is from ...

Back
Top Bottom