Roots Manuva - Awfully Deep

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by zeeky deek, Feb 1, 2005.

1. zeeky deek

zeeky deek Moaning all the time.

Lord Gosh! Over three years down the line since "run come save me", Britain's finest aka Rodney Smith is back with another dose of South London dub-hop madness

First thoughts while unpacking this and looking at the credits were "thank god he stayed with Lord Gosh and himself for production duties" - good move Rodney

Instantly, on "Mind2Motion" you are struck that Manuva wants is going a more dubby style this time round, with thumping bassline and a lovely use of (no technical term) shakey shakey percussian. Doesnt have his usual gripping lyrical content, but this is the beauty of him, I know i'll listen to this another day and realise what he's on about. Still a very listenable song with a fantastic hook.

Moving on to the album's title track "Awfully Deep" has a very electro sound to it, strange for british hip hop's old skool style, but not strange for Manuva (and Karl Hinds for that matter) to make "bangers" that lead to instant head nodding. The song comes in with an infectious hook "Things are gettin awfully deep" Very Happy "A pastor say we shouldnt do that shit, so we sit down and think of all the sins we commit" - Classic Rodney!

"Cause4Pause" comes with a speaker shattering bassline which grabs you as soon as it comes on - lovely interlude, leading on to.....

"Colossal Insight" - From one of the best drops I've heard in ages, Lord Gosh frankly smashes it in the boards for this one. This one has more of a "Run Come Save Me" feel to it, has that talk with god style feel to it, "I've had a good run, I've made a few g's, I've had a bag of fun, I've smoked a few trees, now I wanna rest my knobbly knees" (lol) lovely flow too and again a hook that gets stuck in your head.

still listening, part 2 of my review to come later...

2. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

ive always loved everything they fukin touch man! havnt heard the album yet but y'know its hot..

i heard the track thats been rinsed on Radio 1/....very good.....

3. Bijou

Bijou Member

hey nice one, I haven't heard this yet... thanks for the review, well part one. :)

4. Time Dependant

Time Dependant Jungle Hunter

Herad it the other day on the way down to Brighton to see The Others, man this is awsome! I think Cause4Pause is my fav tune so far, the man is deep & just dont give a fuck!! :not_worth