Room for the hats

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
RIGHT... this has been pissing me off for fucking aaaages!

I've got my beat all sorted and my pads and synths all working together nicely. The beat alone sound fucking sick.

So, i drop a bassline in and (as ive spent months trying to master the fucking science that is EQing drums) the kick, snare, sub and bassline all connect and sound fluid. great yeah? ... ooooh no, that would make making music far too easy.... THE FUCKING CUNTING HI HATS ALL DECIDE TO NOT MAKE AN APPEARANCE FOR THE DROP.

Why is that? over compression?! What?!

Please someone en-fucking-lighten me!

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

ill post an example when i can

Yeah its compression. If the hats are there but they dont get to the top, you probably got a limiter or a compression on the master or drum buss that eats it away. That, or you just forgot a filter on.

If there's somethign on your master, remove it and listen to what the mix sounds like without it. Then do it all from scratch LOL.

Then do it all from scratch LOL.

:mad::mad:

3493936361_12f21b5c8e.jpg

Here's the example:

http://soundcloud.com/thekilljoy/the-prophet-wip

Ahh mate. Now you're using FL I can hopefully help you more and more lol!

Before starting a track, always (and I really mean always) get rid of that useless fuckin fruity limiter that sits on the master channel for a start. If you have PSP Vintage Warmer, throw that on the master channel with the settings as follows. Output= -2db/ Bass = -2/ High = -2/ drive = +4db. Then also put the 'Soundgoodizer' on the master channel too, and turn it down slightly. This helps give your sounds appear fuller. It also helps the high end a little.

When I write my drums I have every kick, snare and hat sitting on their own individual mixer channel, that way you can EQ each piece on its own.

Oh, and thanks for naming a track after me lol! ;)

Edit: After listening to the track you posted I have to ask; Do you put your bass on a mixer channel and mono it? Cos it sounds pretty wide, that may be part of the problem too.

Last edited:
Yeah I always was taught kick, snares and ghosted in mono their own bus, then their own limiter, then deffo keep the hats completely separate from the rest. If they sound weak then sometimes use and Exciter but then again if they aint good samples to start with then don't try and make something shit better, the old cant polish a turd saying.

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

Also there is shit load of ducking going on, the kick sounds distorted too. Bloody Fruity :P

i always leave my hats as they are, on a seperate channel and dont touch them, too delicate to mess around with imo and they usualy naturaly sit above everything else.

thats what I thought. They can still get drowned out though.

Ahh mate. Now you're using FL I can hopefully help you more and more lol!

Before starting a track, always (and I really mean always) get rid of that useless fuckin fruity limiter that sits on the master channel for a start. If you have PSP Vintage Warmer, throw that on the master channel with the settings as follows. Output= -2db/ Bass = -2/ High = -2/ drive = +4db. Then also put the 'Soundgoodizer' on the master channel too, and turn it down slightly. This helps give your sounds appear fuller. It also helps the high end a little.

When I write my drums I have every kick, snare and hat sitting on their own individual mixer channel, that way you can EQ each piece on its own.

Oh, and thanks for naming a track after me lol! ;)

Edit: After listening to the track you posted I have to ask; Do you put your bass on a mixer channel and mono it? Cos it sounds pretty wide, that may be part of the problem too.

I do everything you've said except, the bass in mono thing and using the soundgoodizer. I'm gonna try both of those. All drum tracks are separate. I've bussed them all so i can add hi pass filters to them though.(that's probably the problem)

Last edited:
i cant have anything on the master channel when i write, cos the samples dont sound the same in the sequencer as they do in the audio editor / emu. but each to their own.

Yeah, when I used FL9 I felt I had to put Soundgoodizer on the master channel as it just polished up the sound, but now in ableton I don't put anything on the master channel

This is a really strange psychology, as soundgoodizer sucks ballz even though i've been a FL user the whole time.

^^^^ soundgoodizer o_O really? never use that tbh, apart from some electro'ish sounds..

only a L2 with minimum settings on my master to avoid clipping when adjusting basssounds or the mix in general. i HATE clipping :D

Back
Top Bottom