Room Correction - KRK ERGO etc.

Discussion in 'Production' started by thedjnifty, Feb 4, 2010.

1. thedjnifty

thedjnifty Well-Known Member

http://www.krksys.com/product_ergo.php

Does anyone have any experience with this product or any other "room correction" hardware like it?

I've recently moved into a brand new studio, purchased a pair of Mackie HR824 MK2 monitors and I'm looking to get the very best I can out of them within the room, either by purchasing acoustic tiling, or perhaps by purchasing a product like this one ...

So what's the deal people?

The ERGO sells at around £499 and is stated by KRK as producing a "perfect room" mixing experience, which considering you can easily spend £1000+ on acoustic foam tiling for a studio, means that if it's as good as they say it is, it must surely be worth having and must surely do a better job than tiling at a cheaper price? ...

Thoughts please :wave:

2. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

waste of money.

3. druu

druu Member

Do a bit of reading on the GIK Acoustics site as well as the Acoustic Forum for all the info you need.

4. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Acoustic treatments the way forward mate, something like that wont completely solve problems that lay within your room itself. You dont have to go mental and spend endless money on it, but even with a simple solution you'll get better results than "room correction" tools.

The HR824's are nice bits of kit, they have a fairly impressive bass response considering the size aswel, which also makes a bit of treatment even more important, as its the low end of things that are harder to control.

I'm not doubting the ergo (or any similar product) would improve the sound somewhat, but I'd see it as something to use aswel as, not instead of, acoustic treatment, just for fine tuning the response. The best bet is some spare time, a measurement mic, reference material you know well, and enough cups of tea to drown a giraffe. Trial and error ftw (y)

5. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

why is that ? the system may not be as good as a treated room, but is certainly cheaper and more importantly mobile. if you're working away from home, you can have the same sound in every room you happen to be in.
    theres definitely a place for it, but i agree that it wouldnt be that useful for bedroom producers.