Room acoustics: Where should i position my desk in this room?

Hey guys, so i'm investing in a few things to turn my bedroom into a bit more of a studio with a few bass traps, some absorbers, a difusser and some decent home-studio monitors (Im getting two yamaha hs8)

The room is rectangular shaped with the door in one of the corners. There is a big window in the middle of one of the smaller walls and the opposite wall is just three wardrobes inside it. I have thick curtains to cover the window to help with the acoustics but where should i face my desk?

If it is facing the window i can't put any absorbers behind the monitors because of the window or behind where i will sit either because of the wardrobes. I have a difusser also that i would ideally put on the wall behind me but i have the same problem... any suggestions?

Finally, the ceiling has wooden pilars going across it kind of like in this picture but closer together
( http://www.download3dhouse.com/wp-c...eilings-and-pillars-for-Spain-living-room.jpg ) This is better than a flat roof isnt it? its also hard to hang absorbers because of this.
Thanks guys

Fill the window with Rockwool, put the desk on the shortest wall, try not to have the speakers right up against the wall ether, but you want the speakers to be the same distance from the side walls as the wall the desk is on

Hanging absorbers on beams isn't an issue, it doesn't matter if they are not flush with the cieling, intact a little gap can help esp with lower freqz

Remember to set your room control on the HS8, they ideally should be 1.5m+ from every wall to avoid bass issues, if your room isn't big enough then drop the room control down a notch or two... don't be tempted by big bass, you want accurate bass only

Ideally you want the desk about 20% of the room length away from the short wall

But the most important thing seems to be getting proper bass traps that cover most of the wall corners

Also if you have wood floors, get them carpeted or at least get a big rug that covers a large floor surface

it really depends on the room, I love recording vocals with a wooden floor, and the wooden floor in my new studio adds a little touch of life into an otherwise very flat space - its all about tuning your space up to your needs and the room specs, because there are no hard and fast rules about what works and what doesn't.

for eg if you get rid of all the high freq verb (like wooden floor reflections), but you don't do enough with the bottom end, your room will be wonky - and vicevesa, if you do allot of bass trapping but leave the top end wide open, it gets confusing

Impulse response can be very useful for getting a picture of the rooms acoustics (Room Mode calculators might be useful to)

Back
Top Bottom