rookie dj...

pandemonium

can someone list the minimum set-up i need to start djing? i only wanna start djing for a hobby, nothing to serious, so i want some cheap decks...although i dont have ANY clue what else i need. could someone tell us...

ta :D

pandemonium said:
can someone list the minimum set-up i need to start djing? i only wanna start djing for a hobby, nothing to serious, so i want some cheap decks...although i dont have ANY clue what else i need. could someone tell us...

ta :D

For some cheap decks(but sturdy) and equipment, check out www.stantonmagnetics.com :zest:

u need a couple of decks, a mixer, an amp and speaker (or just amped speakers). all u need is cables which shud come with the equipment (except maybe speaker cables) and link the 2 decks to the mixer. the mixer to the amp, and the amp to the speakers. its easy enuff to work out urself once its all sittin in front of u. for cheap equipment ur not too serious about try one of them 2 decks and mixer combinations. 'dj in a box' kind of thing. their nice n cheap. if u think u mite anna start it up properly get some decent equipment :) hav fun mate (y)

so how much, at least, am i looking at for just the basic gear to get me started?

ps. what sort of speakers do i need? how big/powerful? can i use real small speakers, say, computer speakers, or do they have to be huge 100W amps?

thanx

Last edited:
my first decks and mixer combination was something similar to this

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR80060

This would be an ok way to start if you really really dont want to spend too much money. if u wanted to go even cheaper you could get something like this but if u pay cheap you get cheap im afraid.

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR123112

u dont need amazing speakers. iv got 90W ones and they go some in my bedroom. u can probably get away with 50W ones. make sure u get an amp that will make the most out of them though. (a 20WPC amp wont get much out of some 100W speakers). if u dont fancy spendin more money on speakers though, if uv got a half decent hi fi u cud wire them up to that :) let us know in this thread hat u get when u do. itd be interestin to no. best of luck findin them bargains :2thumbs:

If I may give some advice...

You can get by with a so-so mixer, you can get by with so-so speakers...heck, even so-so needles can get you by....

Cheap tables really won't cut it for very long. As you learn to mix, at some point, you will come in contact with the god like objects known as Technics. Once you have mixed on a pair of these so called Technics, you too will want to buy a pair.

Point in case...try and pick up a pair of used Technic SL-1200's as your first tables. They will do you good, and they really speed up the learning process. Learning to properly cue, adjust record speed and things of that nature, is much easier with a pair of 1200's.

Calefaction said:
If I may give some advice...

You can get by with a so-so mixer, you can get by with so-so speakers...heck, even so-so needles can get you by....

Cheap tables really won't cut it for very long. As you learn to mix, at some point, you will come in contact with the god like objects known as Technics. Once you have mixed on a pair of these so called Technics, you too will want to buy a pair.

Point in case...try and pick up a pair of used Technic SL-1200's as your first tables. They will do you good, and they really speed up the learning process. Learning to properly cue, adjust record speed and things of that nature, is much easier with a pair of 1200's.

You heard the man! now go out and spend lots of money! :)

illv//

Back
Top Bottom