Rolling dnb beat

Psychoholic

Quantum Cunt
VIP Junglist
I've been trying to create a somewhat "rolling" drum and bass beat that is often found in liquid music. It has that rolling percussion before the second Kick Snare hit in a Kick(1) Snare(5) Kick(11) Snare(13) loop.
Like in this track from Grafix : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibbdmx86M-0 (from 1.10) they have that kind of percussion in between that seems to speed up before that second kick snare in the loop.

I hope I made it clear what I mean cause I found it quite hard to explain :).

Basicaly it comes down that I just can't nail that kind of percussion in my pattern so how is it layed down?

I think you're referring to either a shuffle or ghost hit. I'll bet on shuffle.

Your best bet is to find break/drum sample (or percussion/"tops"/hats loop) that has that shuffling sound you're looking for. Drop it in your project and then chop up the break into quarter (or sixteenth) increments. Finally, delete everything except those "shuffled" bits right before your kick would hit.

If you're using REX files, simply remove the unwanted slices.

I'm not in front of my studio computer so I can't screen grab what the MIDI piano roll sequencing would like, sorry about that. Try experimenting a bit with slightly off-timed hits.

Sorry I can be more specific, it's really about experimenting...a lot.

Cheers.

I think you're referring to either a shuffle or ghost hit. I'll bet on shuffle.

Your best bet is to find break/drum sample (or percussion/"tops"/hats loop) that has that shuffling sound you're looking for. Drop it in your project and then chop up the break into quarter (or sixteenth) increments. Finally, delete everything except those "shuffled" bits right before your kick would hit.

If you're using REX files, simply remove the unwanted slices.

I'm not in front of my studio computer so I can't screen grab what the MIDI piano roll sequencing would like, sorry about that. Try experimenting a bit with slightly off-timed hits.

Sorry I can be more specific, it's really about experimenting...a lot.

Cheers.

Alright thanks mate ! Ill keep on experimenting then !

Back
Top Bottom