Roland TB-3: Any thoughts?

Depends how much you care about authenticity: if it was me, I probably wouldn't go any further than a soundfont or vst emulation: you can check both out and see if they satisfy you before deciding to splash the cash.
I'm really insensetive to things like that though, so you'll might decide you want a hardware emulation, the roland might be good but check out the xoxbox as well -I've heard good things about it

Looks ok I suppose

I guess the purists don't like it because have you seen the price for original 303,big difference

I don't really know if I'am sold on the vcb or whatever it's called,not true analog is it

Like the look of the system1 and the tr-8,prices look really good too,gonna road test them soon as my local gets em in.

Depends how much you care about authenticity: if it was me, I probably wouldn't go any further than a soundfont or vst emulation: you can check both out and see if they satisfy you before deciding to splash the cash.
I'm really insensetive to things like that though, so you'll might decide you want a hardware emulation, the roland might be good but check out the xoxbox as well -I've heard good things about it

you mean this?:
tt303_front-1024x575.jpg

Meh.

I was hoping they were going to create modern versions of their analog classics with this AIRA line of products...from what I can read these seem like DSP driven devices. I'll try them out, but am a bit skeptical.

Last edited:
Meh.

I was hoping they were going to create modern versions of their analog classics with this ARIA line of products...from what I can read these seem like DSP driven devices. I'll try them out, but am a bit skeptical.

True but I much prefer this than an expensive abused second hand 303 tbh, if they sound the same.

I have also been toying with the idea of getting some kind of 303 emulation type thing for the last year or so. I have no experience with any of the hardware emulations but by the looks of things i think this one wouldn't be to bad and will def get you that acid sound but i agree with D-fine that the purists prob won't like this one (then again they are never happy). I think if i was going to go for hardware i would get the xoxbox and make sure it was built by someone with a good reputation (heard a few stories about people getting screwed with bad builds). Another option I was thinking about was getting a eurorack and buying a some 303 clone modules which i think would be by far the most fun option and also has the opportunity for endless customisation but could also end up being a bottomless pit money wise, also probably not as authentic sounding as xoxbox.

Then again on the flipside do i really need to spend that much for that acid sound? how often do i even use that squelchy bass sound?(pretty much never when making dnb)

At the moment i am quite happy with the d16 plugin which i think is very nice. I think a cheap-ish way to make that sound a better would be to by a guitar pedal (probably a pro co rat).

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Would be pretty interested if anyone who has used a real 303 has any insight to any of the emulations?

True but I much prefer this than an expensive abused second hand 303 tbh, if they sound the same.

Good point. And a very valid one for that matter.

I think my angst is more aimed towards the AIRA System1, specifically how they're selling it as a synth of the future that can control other Roland plugins natively...plugins that you have to buy. And one would imagine when paying $600 for a synth it would at least have velocity sensitive keys...not the case here. Nor is there after touch for that matter. So you're essentially paying for a DSP driven synth that can support other virtual synths (that you have to pay for) and boasts a set of keys with no expressive functionality.

Good point. And a very valid one for that matter.

I think my angst is more aimed towards the AIRA System1, specifically how they're selling it as a synth of the future that can control other Roland plugins natively...plugins that you have to buy. And one would imagine when paying $600 for a synth it would at least have velocity sensitive keys...not the case here. Nor is there after touch for that matter. So you're essentially paying for a DSP driven synth that can support other virtual synths (that you have to pay for) and boasts a set of keys with no expressive functionality.

Are really velocity sensitive keys that important? Because I really hate velocity sensitivity. I have an AKAI LPD8 and its pads are velocity sensitve and it irritates me quite a lot.

Are really velocity sensitive keys that important? Because I really hate velocity sensitivity. I have an AKAI LPD8 and its pads are velocity sensitve and it irritates me quite a lot.

Perhaps it's personal preference, but I find that velocity sensitivity adds a bit more of a humanized touch to a sequence that in turn creates a less static sounding loop/riff/lead etc. It also lends itself to some creative modulation options when designing a sound (ex. harder velocity opens up a cutoff or aggressive aftertouch triggers vibrato). It also prevents having to go back and draw in automation since you're essentially doing it during the performance of the recorded take. The same could be said for drum pads. If you have a kit loaded that has varying timbres based on different velocities, you can create a less static sounding loop. Again, I'm sure it's personal preference–but if I'm dropping have a grand on a set of keys I should at least have the option of having velocity sensitive keys.

I wouldn't bother, you can't programme the oscillators, you can only tweak the presets, so it's basically just a preset machine. For less you can get a Volca Bass, for the same price you can get a microbrute, slim phatty's are going on ebay for peanuts at the moment. I'm definitely getting a microbrute as soon as I have the money, fully analog and whereas it appears simple it's really a shitload more complicated than it looks and is capable of a wide variety of sounds.

Back
Top Bottom