Drum & Bass Rogue Ai - Blood Dragon

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by LikesItHardware, Oct 16, 2013.

1. LikesItHardware

LikesItHardware Member

Tried a hybrid approach with the bass. Original sound is from my Alpha Juno recorded through analog flanger, phaser, and distortion. Processed in Cubase using a filter plugin I made with Synth Maker (great little filter plugin that's great for stacking (uses very little cpu)), delay, and reverb. Sub bass is a sound sampled from my Eurorack Modular (small 3u system) as well as the arp synth.

2. Mason John

Mason John 21st Junta

Nice work; I really like the pad work here, a somewhat distinct drum pattern at the start that worked well, and a promising bass. I think the subs on the bass could stand for a boost of sorts, and the main part after the drop seems like it comes in just a fraction too soon.

I really like the groove this track gives tho; some actual darkness in there and it stays there. Your elements agree quite well w/ each other.

3. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Sounding really great, the bass sounds glued as fuck, which is nice. Everything works really well together, you nailed the vibe. It does need quite a bit of mixing work though.

4. LikesItHardware

LikesItHardware Member

Thanks, but you are probably not used to mixes that are mostly hardware. I tend to mix with the late 90's dnb aesthetic. A hybrid of 90's with modern basslines. I tend to mix not as loud either. I'm not crazy about hyper-clean but loud ITB mixes.

And here's a tip, you can't judge a track's mix to well from a soundcloud stream. Trust me it sounds way better uncompressed.

5. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Oh, i understand completely. The dynamics and punch is fine, just the frequencies sound a bit too mid-dominant, thats all. More recently i have been listening to some late 90's stuff, and i think you've got that right, i just imo would think it could use some EQ improvement on the busses and the master

6. LikesItHardware

LikesItHardware Member

What busses? This was mostly mixed through an analog mixer to a stereo track. Perhaps so eq on the master will do.

7. LikesItHardware

LikesItHardware Member

Check out the new mix and compare to the old one.

8. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Nice gritty little tune you got there mate, reminiscent of late 90's/early 00's dnb!

And I think the 2nd mix sounds better (y)

9. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Like that first bass sound, really nice. Nice vibe to the tune, found it a little repetitive by the end :)

10. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

I dont exactly know what equipement you have, or how many tracks you mixer has, but i just assumed you would have maybe bussed your drums, bass and maybe FX together through possily another mixer or something, i dont know lol. If you dont have the capabilities to buss stuff then thats completely understandable.

11. LikesItHardware

LikesItHardware Member

Pretty much everything (except a few vox and random sounds) was coming out of my sampler which only has a stereo main and sub outputs

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  12. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Ooh, I'm digging this :D, very cool to see some hardware made tracks on here for a change : ).

13. Pyrococcus

Pyrococcus Urban Break Twister

Except for the drums there's nothing going on above the mids, there's room and potential for elements to add musical value (in the world of millions of uniform Neuro stompers) ;)
    It could surely benefit...