Rob the trusty steed - Death Dance

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by whiterob81, Feb 24, 2013.

1. whiterob81

whiterob81 Member

Here's a dubsteppy sort of thing that I've been working on. Any feed back at all's appreciated.

Thanks

2. pattycake

pattycake Member

Sounds so bad I can't believe it PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! Compare to your favorite artists...

3. Linguist

Linguist Member

Wouldn't go that far - its good you're trying something different, but it is a bit repetitive though. Maybe add some different samples here and there, and build up and release the tension more

4. whiterob81

whiterob81 Member

Howrya lads, thanks for taking the time out to listen. I'm gonna go back to it in the next few days when I get the chance and try and give this turd a bit of a polishing. ;)
    I know you're not a fan at all patty cake but can you let me know what you hate most about it or what I can do to make it less awful

5. stigma

stigma Member

Is there any kind of kick? Cuz I can't hear any :) The snare isn't too powerful at all, I can hear only that 'swoosh' sound. Also no hats of any sort, just white noise. It isn't very pleasant if mixed badly. Also yeah, repetitiveness. The hook is just a triangle wave that pitchshifts a little. It lacks low-end frequencies. Overall it feels like it lacks any effort. Of course, it needs a lot of improvement. Good luck with this! :)

6. whiterob81

whiterob81 Member

Hi stigma, thanks for the comments. There is a kick in there but when I made a go of trying to master it last night I think I may have cut out way too much of the low end. Probably affected the snare too. I took a snare sample and reversed and have it playing before each snare which gives that whoosh noise but it's probably overpowering it a bit. And yup, I didn't put in hats. Can't remember my reasoning for that. I think I was hoping it would just be propelled along by the kick, which didn't really work because the kick kind of got mixed out.
    I'll give it another go later in the week and try and fix these mess ups. Might just scrap the whole thing and start from scratch. Good to get another opinion on this

7. M.r. Echo

M.r. Echo New Member

I actually don't completely agree with all the comments I've read on here so far. I personally think this tune needs a lot more time put into it....but.....if certainly has an original vibe. Someone mentioned the kick.... I quite like it... its nice and low and controversially not 'in your face'.

Main advice I would give is experiment with different effects. When I make a track, I have loads of tracks of the same sound at different points. Just adds to the variation, same with the drums. Some fills and maybe some break type ghost snare type stuff goin on would really add to this track.

Just my opinion on how I would move forward with this track - I really do think it could have potential. Oh yeah, and a bit more time in the mixdown would really help!

Kepp goin man! :)

8. whiterob81

whiterob81 Member

Hey Echo, thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback. I've made a go at redoing it based on the feedback i've gotten from all of ye and i'll post the new version up