Rob Papen blue - whomp help

Discussion in 'Production' started by mistasfx, Mar 27, 2008.

1. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

Im havin a bit of bother tryin to do the basslines like those on tunes like gdub cheater cheater with the whomp then bass followin on from that.

i know its to do with envelopes on the filter but i just cant seem to crack it. i can create some sick soundin basslines but as for gettin the product to have a whomp at the start of it then slidin into the bassline i just cant do.

any help or advice plz?

2. You're kind of in the right ball park, but the patch you are talking about in Cheater Cheater is 2 different basses layered. The first stab you hear is the lower sounding bass which you put on one track, then have the distorted, filtered bass layer which you place say 1 beat later than the attack on the lower sound from when it is triggered. Try this mate... Blue is a wicked synth and mastering envelope manipulation is a great way to work but keep it simple if you are learning dude.

3. Sorry i forgot to include that the top bass layer - ie - the filtered layer goes on a seperate track. ;)

4. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

cheers for the advice, im far from a beginner tho but we learn all the time. i just need to crack the whomp technique but i cant seem to find the point on the envelopes that will give me it!

5. Thats cool mate. The 'Whomp' sound as you call it is just used as a spring board to bounce the filtered bass off of....If you listen carefully you can almost hear a slight overlapping of the two sounds as the filtered sound triggers. try experimenting the position of the filtered part at different lengths away from the the 'whomp' sound you use. At a guess i's say it would be about a beat but maybe a fraction less. hope this helps

6. Fratanize

Fratanize Keepin the jungle alive

big up subsonic. always on the ball.
    peace

7. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

8. I had another listen to Cheater Cheater....The main Bass sound is a single note thats has a distorted filtered transient top layer which gives it that growl - and a sub underneath. This sound actually triggers exactly on the drop but has the whomp sound layered on top which is dominant sounding as the tune drops. I thoght there was a slight delay but there isn't. One reason why it has more weight is that the whomp sound is on top of the other bass sound and the sub. Your tune just has the whomp on its own with nothing layered underneath it. That's one reason why your whomp sound sounds a little empty. Try using compression on the sound and EQ it to boost the lower end of it.

9. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

dnb has started having to much whoomp for my taste...alot of tracks are now structure like number one by clipz with the ....whoomp do do do do whoomp doo doo doo doo

10. Reference

Reference fair shout.

ahh rob papen, the cheaters way.

11. kama

kama benkama.net

[​IMG]

...?

12. Reference

Reference fair shout.

some of the drum and bass presets practially have wobble bass set as a default

13. justin burton

justin burton Hollyoaks Bad Bwoy

womps!!

fuck me spent bare time pissing about trying to get them right thank fuck I finally
    nailed it.

To be fair mate blue wont get the tone your after, I got Rob Papen himself to attempt
    it and he couldnt get it sounding right, i'll post his efforts if u want.
    (they sound more hazardy then gdub)

Blue's squarewaves sound pretty shity imo and that waveform is the basis of the sound,
    you want two squarewaves an octave apart to start with.

Send to low pass filter tied to an envelope, you want the cutoff set low (say 80 hz)
    and the envelope amount just enough so it opens up to some of the higher frequencies
    and closes again.
    You want a bit of attack and a bit of decay to create the shape of the womp, no sustain
    or release.

Maybe a tad of overdrive to give it a bit of ruff and bite, literally a table spoons worth!

I thought for ages GDUB used the Korg Legacy VST as the lowpass filter on it is very
    distinctive sounding and great for 'womps', the squarewaves also sound hench as fuck
    on the korg and the envelopes and lfo's are very responsive as well so a fair few
    reasons why this is the daddy for womps.

I nailed it pretty much bang on by doing what I said above but also adding a real slow lfo on
    the cutoff as well, essentially rocking the cutoff slowly up and down while the envelope
    clamps down on it.

Also worth modulating your cut off with

14. justin burton

justin burton Hollyoaks Bad Bwoy

Also worth noting the second bassline in cheater cheater is literally just a squarewaves
    with a tad of pitch mod and reverb it sounds like

nothing tec just requires a bit of pissing about till you nail it