Road trip round Australia...

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by _MILLA, Nov 23, 2011.

1. _MILLA

_MILLA Flamboyant muthafucka

My mates parents have been living in australia for the passed year..

In march 2012 me and my mate are planning on getting a 12 month visa and a shitty old camper van and trying to drive from one end of australia to another.. and then back.. stopping off places on the way.. we plan to go for 4 months minimum!

i dont plan to take much money, just gna get jobs in mines or pickin fruit cos apparently that is quite easy and pays good! (and we always have his parents to fall back on if we need somewhere to go)

If anyone has been to australia.. or if there are any austrlians on this site, ANY sort or info or advice on where to go or what to do would be great as i have little knowledge of the country!!!

cheers :)

2. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

WAT? Pickin fruit maybe not hard for the head but hard for your body and it is also shitty payed. Don´t think its that different in Australia.

3. _MILLA

according to my mates parents you can get up to 400 dollas a week... cos no one else wants to do it..
    and money is money at the end of the day! if i have to slave away pickin fruit in a field for a week or two so i can carry on touring australia so be it!

surely it will be worth it!

4. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

ask Brofski about how hard it is down the mines, half of the male population in his village was wiped out by a cave-in...

5. ZackMRG

ZackMRG Circles are Pointless

Picking fruit wont get you much money, but its money all the same- also helps go towards your second year visa if you planned to stay longer. I know that mining in Western Australia can pay out an absolute fortune, met somebody while I was over there who reckoned they'd earnt $35,000 in a four month mining stint.

If youre planning on being there for a while i'd deffo suggest to take some money with you, just to get settled in and that first and then perhaps working a few months before considering doing a drive across Australia- and as for that itself you'll wanna drive across the coastlines- southern or eastern are probably your best bets (I did the eastern so im not too sure whats along the south other than melbourne- which I've heard is boring as hell).

6. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Well thats 290 €uros a week or 250 pounds..for a twelve hour day on a six day week AND hard work. :teeth:

S´all good ;)

7. ZackMRG

ZackMRG Circles are Pointless

Thats pittance in oz im afraid, used to do a 30 hour week and earn around $700 a week.

Gotta keep in mind the cost of living is way more over there.

8. _MILLA

better than i get paid ova here haha :)

9. dizzzeejungle

dizzzeejungle Junglist Down Under..

$400 a week is way below minimum wage in Oz.

$1 does not equal 1 pound, a pint of beer here costs $7-10.

You can pick fruit if you want (you get payed by the fruit, and its fucking hot) but you can't just "get a job at the mines". You need to be qualified (have a trade) or at the very least have your license to drive heavy machinery. Maybe you could get a job as a T/A (tradies assistant) but its shit work, and huge hours.

Your best bet is to get your RSA (bartenders ticket) and to get work at local pubs on your travels. The minimum rate for a bartender is $17 an hour, plus you can work double shifts if you want to get your hours up.

But yeah, pretty sure all the major cities are in the top 20 for the msot expensive places to live in the world, so good luck !

10. _MILLA

sound... that sounds like something to look into!
    i gotta have a talk over with my mate and his folks, we only just decided to do it in the past couple of days!

he is going over there in january to see them so he can find out alot while he is over there!!

cheers for the help