Ripping Vinyl to MP3/WAV

Lee85

I've done a search but couldn't find anything so hopefully this is the correct place.

Basically i'm trying to rip vinyl collection to mp3/wav.

I'm using audacity, a 1210, pre amped mixer into my line in.

I'm managing to do it but theres something not right, I can't put my finger on it, there sounding a bit quiet and if I compare them to a bought mp3 from the net there not as good quality, yet i've heard other peoples rips that are quite good.

Heres a sample, its an old record so I don't think it'll upset anyone putting it up, this ones bassline but I have loads of dnb/hardcore/trance to do:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/95qq3g

Any advice or information of how you have done would be helpfull

Your always going to have loses in data when converting formats so not gonna sound 100 % as good, I did it for a few records before and they sounded abit pantz but pretty sure I was not doing it correctly, try searching the net for a solution as there is bound to be a method for best efficiency.

basically you can get VERY in depth with it but you'll never get it to sound as good as an mp3 release. Id try and get a better bit of software, adobe audition or something like that, get some nice quality cabels, an external soundcard (depending on the soundcard you have) a nice quality needle. Ortofon make specific needles for this (they might be called Archiv?) some people recommend a belt drive deck to minimise any rumble from the motor. When recording i have all eqs at 12 o clock and the levels just hitting 0, once its recorded i trim any silence from the beginning and end, normalise it (my channels never play at the same level for some reason?) occasionally ill do some hiss/click/pop restoration but only if it needs it then save as a wav/320.

You need a new stylus for your cartridge to get a crystal clear recording. If you want optimal quality you'll get to buy an elliptical stylus. You will need a decent soundcard to get decent quality aswell as the DA/AD converter on an onboard soundcard is gash.
record it as loud as possible without clipping it.

Back
Top Bottom