ripping audio from downloaded films?

law_88

right, before anyone gets the hump with me and goes on a massive "piracy is wrong" rant, my dvd collection is vast and I always prefer to buy the dvd copy of a film I like rather than having a download just sitting on my computer. That aside, there are some films that I haven't been able to purchase due to availability problems, or a massive lack of money at a certain point in time. There are also films which I have wanted to own as they have contained a certain sample I want to use in a tune, but I dont like the actual film and dont want to spend loads of money on it just for a sample. So I now have loads of films with potential samples on the on my harddrive, but the audio extractor I have requires the actual dvd and not an .avi file, and audacity wont read the format either.
So, anyone have any idea of how to rip audio from these files? preferably without having to go out and buy loads of blank dvds for them? Any help would be much appreciated guys!!!

on my pc i can set it to record what is coming out the sound card.
so i dont need any software - just press record in audacity and it captures what i am listening to.

oh and piracy is a crime blah blah /jokes :D

Have you got any video editing software? I just whack it into Final Cut and rip it from there... It's great cos you can be really precise.

Windows movie maker might be a good bet if you're on PC and dont have any expensive editing stuff... I wouldn't really know how to do it though... Never touched movie maker in my life...

on my pc i can set it to record what is coming out the sound card.
so i dont need any software - just press record in audacity and it captures what i am listening to.

oh and piracy is a crime blah blah /jokes :D

/ thread

sound recording software straight off your pc soundcard, piece of piss! might need to google how to set up ya pc to record like that, but it takes like 30secs and once done is done, ignore other methods, this is the correct way to do it (y)

^^ What these guys said^^

I can use Audacity to record anything thats currently playing on my PC, wether it be video game sounds, youtube, dvd's, shit from the hard drive etc etc....

its actually so easy to set up... right click your volume icon in the bottom right, click 'recording options' and tick 'stereo mix' to be on (y)

if ur on mac u need to download soundflower
set computers sound output to soundflower and set audacity to record soundflower and ur in business.
cant listen while u record tho, which is a bit of a shitter.
pc 1 mac 0

if ur on mac u need to download soundflower
set computers sound output to soundflower and set audacity to record soundflower and ur in business.
cant listen while u record tho, which is a bit of a shitter.
pc 1 mac 0

But atleast we know it wont crash while recording :teeth:
You can listen to it btw.. Just have to edit the routing a bit more in soundflower

i haven't found the whole recording what is playing thing to be so simple.

when i used to have a pc i could set it to record off sound card no problem, but on the laptop i currently use, i have never found a way to record what is playing from the speakers. i can choose between microsoft sound mapper as or microphone device as my recording input but the microphone is shit quality and the sound mapper records no sound. tried a variety of programs including audacity, cooledit pro etc.

is it possible laptops can be built without dedicated soundcards? or is this a ridiculous thing to say? just wondering if i need some drivers or something...

one word, laptops

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

But atleast we didnt pay 3x what its actually worth :teeth:

;) tbf to my pc, its only crashed once since i got it... and that was my fault for over clocking it!

mic jack to headphone jack and audacity couldnt really be easier
i wouldnt use that for ripping music or anything tho but works fine for vox samples
or u could just search youtube for the sample out of the film an use one of those youtube audio ripping things

been using sony vegas for such issues, but i guess u can use any av-edit-program-stuff u find (some might have problems with the avi-format though...)

i use total recorder, although its not free. it can record from any input on your sound card or just record your system-out audio. i just load TR up load a film up and press record when i want to record a sample, that easy.

Or you could do it the old school way?! If you've got some decent phono/XLR inputs in a sound card or interface you could record?! If you don't have either then it's deff worth getting one if you're serious about producing. It's improves the quality of the audio, essentially like having a sports car and putting high quality petrol In it, with regular petrol it will drive but you won't release you computer/musics potential, I know some good ones if you need anyway...

...take a line out and record it back through your DAW...might sound better than you think.....

...that is all

Back
Top Bottom