Rifine Deep Colabs DnB Oct 2012 - Ulterior Motive, Jubei, Break, Icicle, Octane & DLR

The Watcha

VIP Junglist

So, we all like to hear what some of our favourite producers can conjure up when they collaborate with other artists / duo's / trio's, and sometimes two or more heads can be better than one. Coupled with the fact that there have been some wicked collab tunes out recently on Dispatch, Symmetry & Subtitles, to name a few, here are some of my favourite collaborations from the deeper side of dnb (but goes a bit steppy at the end). Hope you enjoy! Any feedback is greatly appreciated as always

Download mirror -> http://dnbshare.com/download/Rifine_Deep_Collaborations_DnB_Mix_14-10-12.mp3.html

Tracklist:-

Octane, DLR & Cern - Rawness (Dispatch Recordings)
Ulterior Motive & Lenzman - Catharsis (Subtitles Music)
Fierce & Cause 4 Concern - Bermuda (Quarantine)
Octane, DLR & Break - Murmur (Dispatch Recordings)
Ulterior Motive & FD - Drum Circle (Subtitles Music)
Basher & Xtrah - Hubble (Subtitles Music)
SPY & Kasra - Surface (Critical Music)
Dabs & Amoss - Still There (Horizons Music)
Break & Silent Witness - Hills Have Ears (Symmetry Recordings)
Phobia, Jubei & Sato - Atlas (Coded Music)
Icicle & Nymfo - Shadows Of Tomorrow (Critical Music)
Ulterior Motive & Code 3 - Yeti (Symmetry Recordings)
Hydro & Halogenix - Disillusioned (Horizons Music)
Need For Mirrors & Zero T - Vanity (Playaz)
Sabre, Stray & Halogenix - Askari (Invisible Recordings)
Calibre & ST Files - Devil Inside (Footprints)
Icicle & Commix - Ultraclean (Shogun Audio)
Octane, DLR & Safire - Peel Street (Dispatch Recordings)
June Miller & Mindmapper - Quartz Controlled (Buried Audio)
Loxy & Resound - Vertigo (Exit Recordings)
Alix Perez & Rockwell - Ballbag (Neosignal Recordings)
Skeptical & Dub Phizix - Fallen Angel (Ingredients Records)

Also, would be interested to see what anyone else could come up with on the same idea, but would like to see dj's follow these three rules:-

1) Artists can only feature a maximum of 3 times in the mix, even if they are part of a collective (eg:- Jubei is part of Code 3)
2) Only 1 tune by each combination (eg:- can't have Sabre, Stray & Halogenix - St Clair as well as Askari in the tracklist)
3) No tunes with influences from the same producer / collective mixed together (eg- Shadows Of Tomorrow & Ultraclean mixed together)

Last edited:
Re: Rifine Deep Colabs DnB Oct 2012 - Ulterior Motive, Jubei, Break, Icicle, Octane &

looks big man, on this

Re: Rifine Deep Colabs DnB Oct 2012 - Ulterior Motive, Jubei, Break, Icicle, Octane &

on this bro. Pretty cool idea, would have started one myself but about to post a longer 2 hr mix this week so may have to be the next project..

TL is pure fire. will be back with some thoughts :2thumbs:

Track list is big. Starts off nicely, really feeling that catharsis tune! mixes nicely in the intro. When murmur comes in, the two mid basses really work well with each other, sound like their playing off each other nicely! When drum circle comes in it brings the pace right up! war mix right there! Hubble is a personal fav tune of mine and you did it justice here, brings the tone of the mix right down low, which is real nice. I found it lost a bit of pace when you bought drum cirlce out but thats picking threads! Hubble with surface is huge! Bringing in the amoss is a nice mix too. Nice use of the intro of hills have eyes! liked the switch out too! Atlas really ups the pace nicely here. Shuffling beats really complement each other. Shadows into yeti is a nice little section too. From here to ultraclean is a decent section. Nice mid range basses and nice rolling feel. Peel street came in a tiny bit quick for my liking but when it dropped it did sound nice. Quartz control mixes beautifully with peel street, probably my fav mix so far! Love that beat on quartz. Vertigo with ballbag is a crazy combo. this would get me swaying massively if i were out! really nicely placed in the mix, really like this combo. End mix is hench, really really nice feel to it, perfect to end on.

All in all this mix is deep and im feeling it. gonna put it on a cd for the car! also gonna keep an eye out for new mixes from you. good work mate really liked it

Track list is big. Starts off nicely, really feeling that catharsis tune! mixes nicely in the intro. When murmur comes in, the two mid basses really work well with each other, sound like their playing off each other nicely! When drum circle comes in it brings the pace right up! war mix right there! Hubble is a personal fav tune of mine and you did it justice here, brings the tone of the mix right down low, which is real nice. I found it lost a bit of pace when you bought drum cirlce out but thats picking threads! Hubble with surface is huge! Bringing in the amoss is a nice mix too. Nice use of the intro of hills have eyes! liked the switch out too! Atlas really ups the pace nicely here. Shuffling beats really complement each other. Shadows into yeti is a nice little section too. From here to ultraclean is a decent section. Nice mid range basses and nice rolling feel. Peel street came in a tiny bit quick for my liking but when it dropped it did sound nice. Quartz control mixes beautifully with peel street, probably my fav mix so far! Love that beat on quartz. Vertigo with ballbag is a crazy combo. this would get me swaying massively if i were out! really nicely placed in the mix, really like this combo. End mix is hench, really really nice feel to it, perfect to end on.

All in all this mix is deep and im feeling it. gonna put it on a cd for the car! also gonna keep an eye out for new mixes from you. good work mate really liked it

Thanks for your kind words Cartel! Glad you liked it :) Thought it got off to a good start with the rolling / pounding tunes. I liked Hubble - Surface as well. They sat quite well together, even though they had a similar rolling beat. Felt like Hills Have Ears needed to roll on its own & sometimes particular tunes just need to drop to give them their full effect. Shadows Of Tomorrow - Yeti - Disillusioned was probably my favourite section in there. I usually bring tunes in after the first 32 bars from the breakdown on Ultraclean, just feel like the fourth 32 bars from the second drop lacks a little from the third 32 bars (if that makes sense) so always try to have the mix over by the fourth 32. Quartz did jell quite well with Peel Street & really enjoyed that mix as well.

Finally got round to a proper listen mate, so I thought I'd stop by and leave some feedback :)

In the first place - really cool concept for a mix as I've already said on SC. Made the tracklist very interesting, some real gems in there for sure. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole hour, opening mix was pure fire, Rawness is a tune and a half! Thought Bermuda worked with Murmur really well, those mid-bass noises complemented each other. Drum Circle mix was a bit overpowered imo, but still really nice. Well played on that flow switching with Hubble, never got round to bagging it, I might as well finally do it now. And on top of that, Surface with Hubble is a fuck off business for sure :) With Hills Have Ears the mix picked up a tempo once again, flowed really well from this on up to Disillusioned, bouncy stuff. Haven't heard Vanity in a mix for a long long time and you made it shine imo! Mix with Askari was big and when Ultraclean kicked in...just wow, my favourite section right there, really love Peel Street and you've nailed the mix! Digged the steppy part in the end, need to get my hands on this Vertigo tune, somehow slipped through my radar, big stuff. As far as I'm concerned this mix is a fucking ace, I want more! :D

Finally got round to a proper listen mate, so I thought I'd stop by and leave some feedback :)

In the first place - really cool concept for a mix as I've already said on SC. Made the tracklist very interesting, some real gems in there for sure. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole hour, opening mix was pure fire, Rawness is a tune and a half! Thought Bermuda worked with Murmur really well, those mid-bass noises complemented each other. Drum Circle mix was a bit overpowered imo, but still really nice. Well played on that flow switching with Hubble, never got round to bagging it, I might as well finally do it now. And on top of that, Surface with Hubble is a fuck off business for sure :) With Hills Have Ears the mix picked up a tempo once again, flowed really well from this on up to Disillusioned, bouncy stuff. Haven't heard Vanity in a mix for a long long time and you made it shine imo! Mix with Askari was big and when Ultraclean kicked in...just wow, my favourite section right there, really love Peel Street and you've nailed the mix! Digged the steppy part in the end, need to get my hands on this Vertigo tune, somehow slipped through my radar, big stuff. As far as I'm concerned this mix is a fucking ace, I want more! :D

Thanks for your kind words man! :) Thought the Bermuda - Murmur worked rather well too out of all the blends in the mix. Drum Circle was a bit weighty on Murmur I agree, but had tried the mix with the levels near on matching once before & when Murmur dropped out, Drum Circle sounded weak on its own that time. Thought I would put Vanity in there as opposed to Tilt & Askari instead of St Clair as they were a bit more abstract choices & they get overlooked compared tunes by the same collaborations. Glad you liked hearing Vanity in the mix again & yeah, Vertigo is a wicked tune. Nice & choppy + it works well with a lot of different styles of dnb. (more) good things come to those who wait :)

Was about to bump this, with 100+ views & only 2 posts of feedback.

Killer Start, working all weekend but will give it a right good listen after then, in tune collecting mode and already got a bunch I need to get :)

Listened first 20 odd minutes, only one mix heard that sort of flattened for a brief bar or 2 after the last tune was taken out, in the first 10 mins somewhere. Besides that killer my man.

Been picking up tunes from itunes like a mad man lately, and putting a small twist on your criteria and counting vocalists as callaborators I put this 30 min set together. I realised afterwards that the Nymfo tune has no collaborator, I had just picked up the Bosheveen/Underfire Single where one tune is with June Miller, I was thinking both were, and only on checking Itunes did I realise it was Nymfo alone.

Hoping the set was tight flow wise, and some variation in style of mixing was achieved, some mixes go long, some use the break, some switch on the drop, tried to keep it varied, and hoped where I took the mix further it worked out ok. I am happy with the mix myself, so thats a bonus.

Track List
Octane, DLR (Feat Subterra & Gusto) - Red Mist
Kasra & Enei - So Real
Judda & Krakatoa - Rodan
D Minds (Feat Charlotte James) - I am Bad
Nymfo - Underfire (No Collab :( I am a dolt)
Octane, DLR (Feat MC Fokus) - Stick & Move
Audio (Feat Stapleton) - Fall Back
Dabs & Safire - Back & Forth
Need For Mirrors (Feat Stapleton) - Greazy
Xtrah (Feat CodeBreaker) - Set The Levels

Just hitting play on your mix to go through proper again, will post up some comments in a bit.

Enjoy! Feedback appreciated.

Downloading now mate, will give ya some feedback when i listen, today probs

Track List
Octane, DLR (Feat Subterra & Gusto) - Red Mist vip
Kasra & Enei - So Real
Judda & Krakota - Rodan
D Minds (Feat Charlotte James) - I am Bad
Nymfo - Underfire (No Collab :( I am a dolt)
Octane, DLR (Feat MC Fokus) - Stick & Move
Audio (Feat Stapleton) - Fall Back
Dabs & Safire - Back & Forth
Need For Mirrors (Feat Stapleton) - Greazy
Xtrah (Feat CodeBreaker) - Set The Levels

Hey tewky1. Thought about doing a mix of just tunes with vocal tunes before, but didn't know how it would turn out like. Probably have the vocals clashing most of the time + not sure if I've got half an hour / hours worth of those tunes. The first mix with Red Mist vip - So Real was a nice double & sat well together. Prefer the original Red Mist myself. Rodan rolled smoothly into So Real. The transition to I Am Bad was good & I enjoyed the mix into Underfire (such a heavy roller, heard it at a rave the other week :) ) just took out I Am Bad half way through a bar. A minor thing, but starts to make the mix disjointed when working with halfs. Underfire - Stick & Move jelled well. Both vocals in Stick & Move - Fall Back were really bouncing off each other when Fall Back was coming in & worked really well. Fall Back - Back & Forth was a wicked deep rolling mix + it was good to hear Stapleton's voice dip out for a tune, then back in on Greazy. Subliminal message with Back & Forth maybe? or even without thinking about it :) Plus having CodeBreaker's voice jump in as soon as Stapleton's stopped was cool.

Pleased to see your ratio of tunes to minutes increase man & an enjoyable listen. Quite an improvement on the first mix of yours I heard. Will give your other 2 mixes a listen off your thread when I can fit them in

Listening proper to your mix now, The drop off I heard, and it is slight is when you go into Bermuda, then the following mix Murmur comes in real strong, maybe a bit too strong right off, sort of overpowers Bermuda a bit in that section. Murmur to Drum Circle was sweet. Surface to Still There sat real nice together. Atlas into Shadows of tomorrow, really sits well and flows good right into the transition. Disillusioned hits rights into Yeti a treat. Sort of lost my way after that, but all killer tunes, and the mixing was spot on. Do you play nights out anywhere? I'd go to one if you did ! My room mate is from Bristol, so he knows his DnB and he was bouncing on his chair the whole time I had it on. We live in the jungle, so we can have it silly loud, the nature loved it :)

I live in Thailand, and have hatched a master plan to bring DnB here, there is one place that plays it on Full Moon Parties, want to eventually get some balls and ask them to have a go one time. But I reckon I can force it in so have some venues to go and wig out :) Bukem comes and plays a place here every now and again, if I can keep improving and get a proper setup in front of me, a monthly night there would be cool!

If you ever chillin in the islands of Thailand, come for a jam!

I will be going through itunes again and snapping up a bunch of those. Apple been doing well out of me this month.

Keep these mixes coming, the tune selection is dope, and helping me build up my catalogue :) Haha

on this man, looks very big

Did get round to listening this but i've had some other things on my plate so never got round to leaving my two cents.

Favourite bits...

SPY & Kasra - Surface (Critical Music) - Heard this mix before somewhere along the way...biggles is an understatement, hubble is massively underrated IMO

^^ really nailed this section too.

Only thing I can say is that some of the blends I didn't particularly dig one tune overpowered the other a little...Drum Circle for example, I think its a type of tune that really suits a techy stripped back kind of sound...Murmur for me is quite hard and I prefer to hear it mixed with really dark stuff to compliment those good mids from it.

However...

As far as I'm concerned this mix is a fucking ace, I want more! :D

THIS.

A very nice listen I must say. Clever idea. Can't be easy having restrictions over the tunes/artists you can mix so fair fucking play lad!

Really enjoyed listening to this mate. Got a great ear for what works. loved Calibre & ST Files - Devil Inside (Footprints)> Icicle & Commix - Ultraclean (Shogun Audio). Devil inside gets me every time, respect for putting it in

Listening proper to your mix now, The drop off I heard, and it is slight is when you go into Bermuda, then the following mix Murmur comes in real strong, maybe a bit too strong right off, sort of overpowers Bermuda a bit in that section. Murmur to Drum Circle was sweet. Surface to Still There sat real nice together. Atlas into Shadows of tomorrow, really sits well and flows good right into the transition. Disillusioned hits rights into Yeti a treat. Sort of lost my way after that, but all killer tunes, and the mixing was spot on. Do you play nights out anywhere? I'd go to one if you did ! My room mate is from Bristol, so he knows his DnB and he was bouncing on his chair the whole time I had it on. We live in the jungle, so we can have it silly loud, the nature loved it :)

Cheers man! I'll bear that in mind. I don't play out anywhere, although a couple of my mates have said I should give a mix cd to a local venue & see if I can get on a line up sometime (Release @ The Cellar - Southampton). One of my friends is playing in room 2 this Friday. Seems like the next logical step

on this man, looks very big

Thanks jwood! Hope you like it

Did get round to listening this but i've had some other things on my plate so never got round to leaving my two cents.

Favourite bits...

SPY & Kasra - Surface (Critical Music) - Heard this mix before somewhere along the way...biggles is an understatement, hubble is massively underrated IMO

^^ really nailed this section too.

Only thing I can say is that some of the blends I didn't particularly dig one tune overpowered the other a little...Drum Circle for example, I think its a type of tune that really suits a techy stripped back kind of sound...Murmur for me is quite hard and I prefer to hear it mixed with really dark stuff to compliment those good mids from it.

However...

As far as I'm concerned this mix is a fucking ace, I want more! :D

THIS.

A very nice listen I must say. Clever idea. Can't be easy having restrictions over the tunes/artists you can mix so fair fucking play lad!

Fair man! Thanks for the feedback. Got to say Hubble is an underrated beast as well. Just sits in the mix well with that underlying bassline :) I didn't want a mix to have restrictions, but Ulterior Motive have recently had 5 collab tunes out & including them all would nearly be a quart of the tracklist. Need to have a limit on these things sometimes. I have a few more interesting ideas you will have to keep a look out for ;)

Really enjoyed listening to this mate. Got a great ear for what works. loved Calibre & ST Files - Devil Inside (Footprints)> Icicle & Commix - Ultraclean (Shogun Audio). Devil inside gets me every time, respect for putting it in

Thanks JHSE23! Glad you enjoyed it. Was rooting through the stack for collab tunes & almost forgot about Devil Inside, so I had to put it in :) wicked tune as you said. That sentiment in bold made my day :)

Last edited:

soooo on this. exactly the type of sound i'm in to at the minute!

Bump for the weekend. 290+ views in, 21 downloads & 77 plays.... going well in 12 days.

Any more feedback jimixyz / CollectiveONE / Jwood27 / TheTornado or anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom