Rifine Beats & Bass 6 - ASC, Fracture, Om Unit, Sam KDC, Villem - 100% vinyl

The Watcha

VIP Junglist

Staying true to the elements of B&B, this episode is a little more rolling in places and calls on producers from previous editions while including licks from other familiar names who have dabbled in more minimal and experimental dnb, also having another dip into the juke waters. This part brought back some of the original mentality of the B&B series, being a bit of a challenge and I think it turned out alright. Hope you like it!

Tracklist:-
The Untouchables - Tread This Land (457 Records)
Amoss - Footloose (Octane, DRL & Linden rmx) (Horizons)
Villem - Shimmer (Med School)
ASC - Starkwood (Non Plus)
Mutated Forms - Feels Like (Med School)
Silent Dust - The Giant (Om Unit rmx) (None 60)
Calibre - Steptoe (Signature)
House Of Black Lanterns - Truth & Loss (Fracture rmx) (Houndstooth)
Icicle - Time (Shogun Audio)
Vaccine - Ochre (Non Plus)
ASC - Reality Check (Auxiliary)
Oak - Chizra (Kos Mos Music)
ASC - Polemic (Samurai)
Digital & Spirit - Phantom Force (Fracture rmx) (Phantom Audio)
Blackjob - Rise (Sam Binga rmx) (Original Cultures)
Fracture & Neptune - Clissold (Machinedrum rmx) (Astrophonica)
Mode - Abyss (Sam KDC rmx) (The Crescent)
Etherwood - Unfolding (Med School)
Sam KDC & Mr Smith - Walk The Path (Channel 82 Records)
Reso - Simple Pleasures (Om Unit rmx) (Civil Music)
Skeptical - Block 305 (Ingredients Records)
dBridge & Riya - Seems Like (Autonomic)

Alternative download link - http://dnbshare.com/download/Rifine_Beats_n_Bass_6_DnB_Mix_October_2013.mp3.html

Last edited:
Expecting big things after B&B 5.

Not going to spoil the listen with the TL. Will obviously drop some thoughts on this as usual.

Again you've gone an ID'd a track for me straight off the get go - (Amoss - Footloose) wicked track. The drums of Starkwood and Feels Like seem to clash quite a bit, but otherwise so far so good. Got The Giant and Steptoe on lock, and sounds decent - smooth transition. Continuing with the half time, Truth & Loss takes over from Steptoe, drops on its own. Nice and smooth again. Seems to have gone quite quiet but that could easily be my fucked headphones. Quickly into the next one...yes, gonna have to get this track myself (Time). Haven't heard this Vaccine track since the Autonomic fabriclive I don't think. Actually a quality track, could just never decide if i liked the vocal or not. Reality Check sounds quality coming into this. Another tune I need (this is why I like you B&B episodes because I always find new music). This Oak tune is wicled as well, liking his stuff at the moment. Didn't expect Polemic to come in then, but mainly because I didn't hear the hi hat come in on the build up. I've been using Polemic as a transition between minimal stuff and juke/footwork as well. Phantom Force sounds a bit weird coming in but sounds good when it drops. Clissold and Rise working really well together aswell. Nice fader trick with Abyss. Not gonna lie, I got distracted with work for the remainder of the mix, but I did listen all the way through.
Over all, great mix again - really enjoyed the selection. I did hear you touch the platter a couple of times, but for the most part it was clean and locked. Big ups.

Again you've gone an ID'd a track for me straight off the get go - (Amoss - Footloose) wicked track. The drums of Starkwood and Feels Like seem to clash quite a bit, but otherwise so far so good. Got The Giant and Steptoe on lock, and sounds decent - smooth transition. Continuing with the half time, Truth & Loss takes over from Steptoe, drops on its own. Nice and smooth again. Seems to have gone quite quiet but that could easily be my fucked headphones. Quickly into the next one...yes, gonna have to get this track myself (Time). Haven't heard this Vaccine track since the Autonomic fabriclive I don't think. Actually a quality track, could just never decide if i liked the vocal or not. Reality Check sounds quality coming into this. Another tune I need (this is why I like you B&B episodes because I always find new music). This Oak tune is wicled as well, liking his stuff at the moment. Didn't expect Polemic to come in then, but mainly because I didn't hear the hi hat come in on the build up. I've been using Polemic as a transition between minimal stuff and juke/footwork as well. Phantom Force sounds a bit weird coming in but sounds good when it drops. Clissold and Rise working really well together aswell. Nice fader trick with Abyss. Not gonna lie, I got distracted with work for the remainder of the mix, but I did listen all the way through.
Over all, great mix again - really enjoyed the selection. I did hear you touch the platter a couple of times, but for the most part it was clean and locked. Big ups.

:) Nice one for the hench feedback Mr V!
No worries in helping out with tune ID's. Its nice when that happens when listening to a mix. The chopped up drums of Feels Like do slow down the more rolling drums of Starkwood, but I felt like Feels Like takes it in turn to bounce the drums on alternate beats of Starkwood & to be honest, I thought it was the best mix I could find with Feels Like. I wouldn't say they 'clash' just don't go as smoothly as other mixes + the bits around Feels Like were what I was referring to when I said this mix was 'challenging'.

Yeh, Trust & Loss rmx is a little quiet on the pressing, with it being 33rpm & all. My bad, but doesn't drop on its own. Wanted to put Ochre in a B&B after Skwiffer reminded me of it in one of his mixes. I hardly ever reach for Reality Check, but like you said, I like to include tunes I might not play in B&B episodes (or or other mixes for that matter) otherwise they just sit in the stack and never get played.

Phantom Force rmx was beatmatched up to the bit with no drums before the drop. Thought it was in as much as possible & tried to get the hook to bounce on the beat as best I could. Plus, thanks for pointing out the Clissold rmx - Rise rmx mix :) One of my favourite in there & really pleased when I found that those to go well together. No fader trick involved :D Also, I don't touch the platter when mixing, but do touch the vinyl slightly, so there might have been a few little smudges in there. Haven't learned to pitch chase yet. Cheers man (y)

Expecting big things after B&B 5.

:) Yeh, kinda pushed the bar quite high with B&B 5 if I do say so.
Really pleased with how that one turned out, but this one..... did the best I could with the tunes.

Not going to spoil the listen with the TL. Will obviously drop some thoughts on this as usual.

TL looks good

will definitly be giving this a listen

Let me know what you thought in due course guys

:) Nice one for the hench feedback Mr V!
No worries in helping out with tune ID's. Its nice when that happens when listening to a mix. The chopped up drums of Feels Like do slow down the more rolling drums of Starkwood, but I felt like Feels Like takes it in turn to bounce the drums on alternate beats of Starkwood & to be honest, I thought it was the best mix I could find with Feels Like. I wouldn't say they 'clash' just don't go as smoothly as other mixes + the bits around Feels Like were what I was referring to when I said this mix was 'challenging'.

Yeh, Trust & Loss rmx is a little quiet on the pressing, with it being 33rpm & all. My bad, but doesn't drop on its own. Wanted to put Ochre in a B&B after Skwiffer reminded me of it in one of his mixes. I hardly ever reach for Reality Check, but like you said, I like to include tunes I might not play in B&B episodes (or or other mixes for that matter) otherwise they just sit in the stack and never get played.

Phantom Force rmx was beatmatched up to the bit with no drums before the drop. Thought it was in as much as possible & tried to get the hook to bounce on the beat as best I could. Plus, thanks for pointing out the Clissold rmx - Rise rmx mix :) One of my favourite in there & really pleased when I found that those to go well together. No fader trick involved :D Also, I don't touch the platter when mixing, but do touch the vinyl slightly, so there might have been a few little smudges in there. Haven't learned to pitch chase yet. Cheers man (y)

Yeah good point to be fair, Feels Like must be a bitch to blend. Rise is a quality tune, so fun to mix with because it goes with quite a lot of things I find. Pitch chasing is hard I haven't got the hang of it either.

Really enjoyed the opening track. The mix into Footloose remix was pretty swish very clean and got this moving in the right way. Can hear Shimmer poking through with its droning kind of vocal and so far so good. All very smooth transitions. Swear the next tune is an ASC tune, anyway the vibe has changed into a much more steppy kind of rolling moody kind of tip. Digging this mate. Going to wait until the end and check out the TL as to not spoil what lies in store. Eurgh. Next mix changes the vibe again! Its like its split up the rolling beats of the tune before. Really cool man. Ahhhhhh I know the next tune off the back of my hand! OM Unit remix of Giant! Sick tune. (although probably prefer the intalex remix from a personal point of view but this fits in nicely) that groaning bass with the ahhh vocal is so swish in this remix. OH SHEET can hear Steptoe. You madman wicked mix. Next tune I’m pretty sure is a fracture remix of some sort. Felt it lost a little energy considering how big the bass from Steptoe goes from into this tune though. Know the next tune. Icicle – Time. Setting up nicely for the double, and yes very decent. Certainly better than the previous mix for me personally. Nice to hear Time again. That EP was pretty cool and the rest gets massively overlooked because of Driftwood. First time ive looked at the the TL as I wanted to know the next tune. Huge huge tune. Thought id be a lot worse at working out some of these tunes but not so bad I suppose. The glitchyness of this Vaccine tune is awesome. Trying to work out where that vocal sample is from – very recognisable. The next tune has worked its intricate beats over the top of the vaccine tune to make for a smooth transition. Something about this mix which I am starting to like more than the last B&B. Perfect early morning listening for me. Chisra has taken over the mix a little here…watch your gains Mark! Polemic is now entwined with Chisra to make for a pleasing mix. The droning steppyness of Polemic seemed to work well. Weird tune but I like it. Annoyed I looked at the TL now can tell the next mix with Phantom Force will be pretty swish. Can hear it creeping in and its breakdown is now noticeable. Wicked blend man definitely my favourite so far. Not really sure on the mix out with that Sam Binga remix though seemed to drop down a notch of volume. Clissold remix is poking in a little shakily…but makes for a whirring blend with the Sam Binga remix. Need to bag this surprised I haven’t. That Abyss remix is absolutely ridiculous. Love it. The vocal of Unfolding has now crept in to make for a soothing blend. Its just what that Abyss remix needs to make it a bit more uplifting great blend. Transition felt a little strange when you cut to it on its own though. Love this tune though. Walk the path was again a little shaky coming into the mix (unlike you!) definitely works though when its in the mix. Oh sheet that Om Unit remix mix is absolutely wicked. great mix again. Switchup to Block 305. Gully little stepper. Wasn’t too sold on the last transition with Seems Like. Just felt a little abrupt how it came into the mix.

Yea this was swish as always man. Certainly a few things you would work on though. Some of the transitions felt a little rushed or the tune came in so quickly. Take your time. Be gentle with those faders bringing them in or out especially when recording. A couple of your gains were a little out as well, so either a tune came in and the volume was just notch or two too loud or too quiet. Keep an eye on your levels (or what I do is check the waveform when I’m recording on my laptop) and you’ll reap the rewards. First time ive really been able to critique on of your mixes as generally they are spot on…but there is always room for improvement.

B&B 1 and 5 still the favs. This is right up there for selection though. Big ups mate. (y)

Great mix again Watcha! Don't know a lot of the tunes you play if I'm being honest but you always get a groove going you got some great vibes man.. :shades:

Interesting to hear you flit between styles yet at the same tempo keeping the beats and basslines flowing. If you could ID the tunes for me that are being played at the point at which I commented that'd be great save me some hassle lol. Btw that juke version of Phantom Force is propa firing!

Big mix can't wait for your next orthodox dnb ting.

Aren't we due a new mix from you sometime sooner Vanden? Been like 7 months or so since your last one

Really enjoyed the opening track. The mix into Footloose remix was pretty swish very clean and got this moving in the right way. Can hear Shimmer poking through with its droning kind of vocal and so far so good. All very smooth transitions. Swear the next tune is an ASC tune, anyway the vibe has changed into a much more steppy kind of rolling moody kind of tip. Digging this mate. Going to wait until the end and check out the TL as to not spoil what lies in store. Eurgh. Next mix changes the vibe again! Its like its split up the rolling beats of the tune before. Really cool man. Ahhhhhh I know the next tune off the back of my hand! OM Unit remix of Giant! Sick tune. (although probably prefer the intalex remix from a personal point of view but this fits in nicely) that groaning bass with the ahhh vocal is so swish in this remix. OH SHEET can hear Steptoe. You madman wicked mix. Next tune I’m pretty sure is a fracture remix of some sort. Felt it lost a little energy considering how big the bass from Steptoe goes from into this tune though. Know the next tune. Icicle – Time. Setting up nicely for the double, and yes very decent. Certainly better than the previous mix for me personally. Nice to hear Time again. That EP was pretty cool and the rest gets massively overlooked because of Driftwood. First time ive looked at the the TL as I wanted to know the next tune. Huge huge tune. Thought id be a lot worse at working out some of these tunes but not so bad I suppose. The glitchyness of this Vaccine tune is awesome. Trying to work out where that vocal sample is from – very recognisable. The next tune has worked its intricate beats over the top of the vaccine tune to make for a smooth transition. Something about this mix which I am starting to like more than the last B&B. Perfect early morning listening for me. Chisra has taken over the mix a little here…watch your gains Mark! Polemic is now entwined with Chisra to make for a pleasing mix. The droning steppyness of Polemic seemed to work well. Weird tune but I like it. Annoyed I looked at the TL now can tell the next mix with Phantom Force will be pretty swish. Can hear it creeping in and its breakdown is now noticeable. Wicked blend man definitely my favourite so far. Not really sure on the mix out with that Sam Binga remix though seemed to drop down a notch of volume. Clissold remix is poking in a little shakily…but makes for a whirring blend with the Sam Binga remix. Need to bag this surprised I haven’t. That Abyss remix is absolutely ridiculous. Love it. The vocal of Unfolding has now crept in to make for a soothing blend. Its just what that Abyss remix needs to make it a bit more uplifting great blend. Transition felt a little strange when you cut to it on its own though. Love this tune though. Walk the path was again a little shaky coming into the mix (unlike you!) definitely works though when its in the mix. Oh sheet that Om Unit remix mix is absolutely wicked. great mix again. Switchup to Block 305. Gully little stepper. Wasn’t too sold on the last transition with Seems Like. Just felt a little abrupt how it came into the mix.

Yea this was swish as always man. Certainly a few things you would work on though. Some of the transitions felt a little rushed or the tune came in so quickly. Take your time. Be gentle with those faders bringing them in or out especially when recording. A couple of your gains were a little out as well, so either a tune came in and the volume was just notch or two too loud or too quiet. Keep an eye on your levels (or what I do is check the waveform when I’m recording on my laptop) and you’ll reap the rewards. First time ive really been able to critique on of your mixes as generally they are spot on…but there is always room for improvement.

B&B 1 and 5 still the favs.
This is right up there for selection though. Big ups mate. (y)

Thanks for checking & the massive feedback Stu!
Yeh wanted to include that Untouchables bit in a B&B as it fits the style & is quite short, so used it as an intro. Nice one for mentioning the mix with Shimmer & Starkwood.... one of my favourites in there :) Heard someone in the local club play Time before and it sounded nice on a system & like you mentioned, the rest of the tunes on that Icicle EP get overlooked due to Driftwood. My bad on Chisra being a bit overpowering, but didn't want to record the mix again, as I'd had 3 problems with clipping on the recording when trying to get this episode recorded. Same with the level on Rise, but thought it worked. Didn't think Clissold came in too shakey, maybe towards the end of that blend though :-/ Cheers for mentioning that Abyss mix too! Another fave the way the punchy step of that worked with Clissold. And yeh, was fighting Walk The Path a little. Pleased you liked the little section with Simple Pleasures - Block 305 as well. The last mix I thought worked, going off the back of dBridge & Skeptical collaborating on Move Away

I agree with you on loosing a little energy around the Fracture rmx of HOBL's tune, but thought the cut to Steptoe made up for it. Also, as mentioned in thread previously, I find it hard to judge the gains till the tune is in. I do keep the gains down by about a third till the volume is at the same level as the tune playing. Yeh, something to work on + I use Goldwave to record, which shows the main EQ bouncing on the beat as opposed to a precise waveform, so can't really look at that while I'm mixing. Few of the transitions I was fighting as mentioned, and if I felt like it was running away, I would try to end the mix as best possible, which can sometimes come across as rushing to end the mix :-/ Do need to work on that

Yeh those 2 B&B's are my favourites. If you have B&B 1, can you uploading to dnbshare sometime? as my computer crashed a while back and I lost parts 1, 2 & 3

Great mix again Watcha! Don't know a lot of the tunes you play if I'm being honest but you always get a groove going you got some great vibes man.. :shades:

Interesting to hear you flit between styles yet at the same tempo keeping the beats and basslines flowing. If you could ID the tunes for me that are being played at the point at which I commented that'd be great save me some hassle lol. Btw that juke version of Phantom Force is propa firing!

Big mix can't wait for your next orthodox dnb ting.

Nice one for checking Papa & thanks for your compliments!
I owe you some listens and feedback on yours when a dnb one drops. I try to get a flow going in these B&B's if I can, like a main theme to tell a story.

Tunes at the moments where you commented are Amoss - Footloose (Octane, DLR & Linde rmx) - Villem - Shimmer + House Of Black Lanterns - Truth & Loss - Icicle - Time.... all wicked tunes man! and yeh, that Phantom Force rmx is quality.

B&B 7 coming in November, then something more orthodox in December, with a personal twist ;)

This will be the soundtrack to my commute tomorrow.
Always up to some techy Watcha vibes.

Let me know your thoughts guys

Last edited:
Yeh those 2 B&B's are my favourites. If you have B&B 1, can you uploading to dnbshare sometime? as my computer crashed a while back and I lost parts 1, 2 & 3

My old HD definitely had 1 on there. Will check it for you.

Not sure if it will be, had a load of stuff wiped from there, Jacks Midnight Manueveres series/my older mixes. fucking annoying.

gave this a listen and really liked the flow of the mix, only part that didn't work for me was when Mutated Forms - Feels Like came in, just sounded a bit off but other than that top mix mate, best part of it for me was Silent Dust - The Giant (Om Unit rmx) > Calibre - Steptoe, those tunes work together really nicely, big up man

My old HD definitely had 1 on there. Will check it for you.

Not sure if it will be, had a load of stuff wiped from there, Jacks Midnight Manueveres series/my older mixes. fucking annoying.

Sound. Yeh, let me know either way please Stu, and yeah its fucking annoying loosing mixes and a tonne of free tunes off your computer when it crashes and you haven't backed it up :mad:

gave this a listen and really liked the flow of the mix, only part that didn't work for me was when Mutated Forms - Feels Like came in, just sounded a bit off but other than that top mix mate, best part of it for me was Silent Dust - The Giant (Om Unit rmx) > Calibre - Steptoe, those tunes work together really nicely, big up man

Thanks for listening Danny!
I knew that Starkwood - Feels Like mix was going to be like marmite for the heads on here. To me it sounds ok, but obviously sounds alot less cleaner than some of the other blends in B&B 6. Nice one for mentioning the Silent Dust - The Giant (Om Unit rmx) > Calibre - Steptoe mix a couple of tunes down the line :) That felt really nice when those 2 came together. Ez

Last edited:
Apologies for the lack of feedback dude been really slacking.
Anyway, checked out the tracklist before I played as I always like to see what im gunna be listening too and it did not disappoint, looked fairly varied with some harder bits thrown in.
Kicking off with some tribal vibes from Untouchables, really underrated producer(s?) IMO, got some wicked stuff out. Not heard the 3 first tunes and to be honest, i didnt even notice TTS got mixed into Footloose Remix! Really good track selection.
Starkwood worked really well into the Villem tune and the snares came through nicely. Starkwood into Feels Like was the weakest blend of the mix but its such a BITCH to mix, im not too keen on the tune itself either really. It set the pace for the half time vibes though with that Om Unit RMX coming in, wicked track this and i've been rinsing it.
Steptoe's little higher pitch 'WOH''s came through and this was a sick little touch, such a weighty tune this, need to play it more.
The next few mixes were again really good, Time is a tune i've not heard in AGES, really nice hearing it again.
Stepping back into the Autonomic vibes for the next few tracks and naturally i really enjoyed it, think you're really good at mixing this sorta sound.
The Phantom Force RMX is actually a tune I don't really like but it changed the vibe up once again which was nice.
Rise - Walk The Path were all mixed really well, slightly aggressive, half-timey vibes on this set of tunes.
Incoming Simple Pleasures which is a tune I love, the little 80's melody is gorgeous, mixed in and out of this was great, who thought Skeppy would sound so good into Om Unit!
The outro of Seems Like was really nice, and the mix from Block into Seems Like was tasty, I liked how you kept the aggy growls & bass of 305 in there to make Seems Like abit more aggressive.

Great mix this Watcha, alot of styles in this but the mixes were really good, EQ'ing was really on point as well.
I think I liked some of your older volumes better (will feedback on #5 now as i listened the otherday) but overall still very good.

Back
Top Bottom