Rifine Beats & Bass 5 - ASC, Synkro, Om Unit, Danny Scrilla, Beastie Respond

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by The Watcha, Sep 15, 2013.

1. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

Back again with this months B&B. 100% vinyl again (as always, till the digital switch over), but didn't include that in the title this time round, as I wanted to give both Danny Scrilla & Beastie Respond the mention they deserve. This episode has a little paddle in the juke stream, with some melodic sections and some more menacing blends. Again, not perfect, but was really happy how this one turned out. Some of the mixes were up there with some of the most challenging in the series so far. Hope you enjoy it!

Tracklist:-

Koto - End Game (Alpha Cuturaii)
    Synkro - In Transit (Med School)
    Raiden & Khanage - 8798 (Voodoo Music)
    Danny Scrilla - Fallout (Civil Music)
    Jubei - Say Nothin (Rockwell rmx) (Razors Edge)
    Om Unit - Le Singe (Om Unit Edits)
    Indigo - The Root (Exit Recordings)
    Beastie Respond - Wait For Me (Teal Recordings)
    Danny Scrilla - Thorium (Civil Music)
    ASC & Consequence - Fade Away Seasons (Non Plus)
    Beastie Respond - UL90 (Teal Recordings)
    Scuba - Eclipse (Abucs)
    Kryptic Minds - Burnt To Ashes (Exit Recordings)
    ASC & Synkro - Sacred Moments (Auxiliary)
    Circa - Ida (Med School Music)
    CMX ft dBridge - Tesserae (Exit Recordings)
    ASC & Synkro - Planet X (Auxiliary)
    N Phonix - Reach Out (Om Unit rmx) (Shifting Peaks)
    dBridge - Love Hotel (Exit Recordings)
    Abstract Elements - Abysmal Depth (Exit Recordings)
    ASC - Focus Inwards (Non Plus)
    On Unit - Dark Sunrise (Civil Music)

alternative download link -> http://dnbshare.com/download/Rifine_Beats_n_Bass_5_DnB_Mix_September_2013.mp3.html

grubbers likes this.
  2. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

Downloaded this and part 4. Can tell just by the tracklists I'm going to like them.

3. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

started listening to this. say nothing just came in....loving this mix a lot so far man. have to pause the mix unfortunately (don't want to - this has me hooked hehe), going to the city, but will listen to it properly asap. big up man! some seriously interesting beats in there ;)

4. Matty28

Matty28 Active Member

You going in on Serato m8?

P.s. will check the mix out tommorow, looks large

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  5. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Will drop some thoughts when i've listened to this mate (y)

6. The Watcha

Nice Sirus! Let me know your thoughts

:) I try my best Fuuz3r & Matty. You know the score with the series so far

Not sure yet man. Will be a fair while to come yet & will give me a while to decide.
    I'll never get rid of my 1210's..... or maybe never say never, but still getting to grips on cdj's. Will have to wait and see

Nice one Stu

7. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

On this, looks good

8. HAB

HAB "Genius!"

On iiiiiittttt

9. The Watcha

Sound! Let me know what you think / thought Shat's / Terp's & HAB

10. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

Sounded so tight, good stuff, made me want to get some of my 170 records out yesterday. Not listened to the whole thing yet, gonna check the second half later.

The Watcha likes this.
  11. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

absolutely stunning mate. Probably my personal favourite of this series so far. Mixed and EQ'd well throughout.

fav part was definitely:-

Raiden & Khanage - 8798 (Voodoo Music)
    Danny Scrilla - Fallout (Civil Music)
    Jubei - Say Nothin (Rockwell rmx) (Razors Edge)
    Om Unit - Le Singe (Om Unit Edits)
    Indigo - The Root (Exit Recordings)

Loads of stuff I could say about how good this section was, how good Say Nothin' rmx was mixed in, then changing the vibe up completely for Le Singe which is just impeccable listening. I could literally go on and on about this 8 tune burst it was spot on.

Haven't really got any sort of critique on this, it was pretty much spot on throughout and as I said before probably my favourite so far of the series. I haven't a doubt this will get some serious battering from myself

Excellent listening, well recommended

The Watcha likes this.
  12. The Watcha

Cheers Terps! Its nice when music / a mix can make you feel like that.
    That was one of my fav sections in there to string together. The additional little elements the one tune would give to another I really liked.
    Let me know what you thought of the rest

Thanks Stu! Yeh, possibly up there with a fav episode of the series. This and part 1, as that kicked the series off :)
    Also, nice one for mentioning that section above. Fav mix in the whole mix for me was the Say Nothin rmx - Le Singe blend. The whole mix actually stemmed from those 2 coming together.

Respect for checking and your kind words man! Ez

13. Afek_One

Afek_One Well-Known Member

Re: Rifine Beats & Bass 5 - ASC, Synkro, Om Unit, Danny Scrilla, Beastie Respond

The drop into the Raiden tune is sick. I'm totally biased though because I think Raiden is a genius.

The mix out of 8798 into Fallout is a little weak because Fallout is a little too quiet. Needs a gain boost and the mix is a tad short, but the juke tunes have really short intros so I get it.

Say Nothin remix comes in kind of hot, but the phrasing is ace. I hate mixing that tune. For some reason, I struggle to find the downbeat.

Say Nothin > Le Singe is really nice. The lead in Le Singe complements the vocals. I think that mix might have run slightly long though.

Le Singe > The Root is pretty close to a perfect mix. The only thing I would have liked is to hear the melody of Le Singe run slightly longer but I don't own the tune, so I don't know if that's even possible.

The Root > Wait For Me is phrased perfectly, but Wait For Me needs a gain boost too. Really love that tune. I didn't realize it got pressed.

Wait For Me > Thorium is out of tune I think. You used the vocal really well though. I like the way it fades away.

Fade Away Seasons is a tune! Never heard that one before. Consequence can do no wrong.

Fade Away Seasons > UL 90 is the best blend yet. Really just an ace mix.

UL 90 and Eclipse really go well together. Nice call and response going with the bass and lead.

Another nice call and response going with Eclipse and Burnt To Ashes. Really nice selection on that and a great blend. I love the second drop on Burnt To Ashes. Deadly bass from a chill tune.

Burnt To Ashes > Sacred Moments is a goosebump mix. Insanely good blend. Sacred Moments is an all time tune for me. You really did it justice. Those pads!

The fills in Ida sound great with Sacred Moments, but I would have switched basses at the drop. Would have been more powerful. It probably should have gone longer too. Ida is a fucking tune and a half too.

I have to go to bed. Will finish the mix later. Really, really good shit though. You got good taste dude and your mixing is fantastic.

- - - Updated - - -

I lied. Had to come back for Planet X into Reach out! Deadly mix! Deadly.

The Watcha likes this.
  14. The Watcha

Re: Rifine Beats & Bass 5 - ASC, Synkro, Om Unit, Danny Scrilla, Beastie Respond

Nice one for the in depth feedback AO! Yeh, Raiden does make some wicked tunes.

I didn't think Fallout was quiet at all. Actually had 8798 lower on the gain for that mix. And for the Say Nothin - Le Singe mix, if you are feeling a certain blend, then keep it in for longer, so thats why it is a longer mix. Le Singe's melody tails off for the last 32 bar loop, so it wasn't possible to keep that going, but did keep the mix in.

Not sure what you mean by Wait For Me > Thorium is 'out of tune'. The mix is in and they sound fine. I don't use that Harmonic Mix wheel on Chemical if that is what you're referring to. Fade Away Seasons is a wicked tune that gets overlooked. Such simplicity in that, with the little bleep at the end is just right + glad you mentioned the Fade Away Seasons > UL 90 mix :) Wanted to bring the pace down around that point, just relying on the bare minimum aspects of a couple of tunes, if it could be done.

Wanted to bring the pace up again around Burnt To Ashes > Sacred Moments that you picked up on, with the ambient but slightly more powerful melodies of Sacred Moments doing its thing. I'm not to good at switching the basses on tunes when the mix is in. Have heard other do it and should be something to try and get to grips with in future. Plus you said about leaving the mix with Sacred Moments & Ida in for longer.... it was in for 3 x 32 bars and Sacred Moments' beat left the mix for the last 32 of that mix. Didn't feel like it was worth chancing it coming back in again.

Thanks for your kind words and also picking up on Planet X - Reach Out rmx :) A fav mix of mine in there, and wanted Reach Out rmx's wobbling bass to do the damage over the easy listening notes of Planet X which turn out how I hoped. Let me know what you thought of the last 10 mins or so if you can. Ez

15. The Watcha

mid week bump

Sirus, Matty, Grubbers, HAB, Zkinz, The 030, jwood, Elias, jsmith, floating hunter or anyone else have a listen & want to share their thoughts?

16. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

Downloaded this the other day will be back with thoughts at some point soon

17. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

had a listen and as always solid mix, never really listened to this type of dnb before listening to these mixes but again really enjoyed it and definitly will be giving it a few more listens. Favourite part had to be Danny Scrilla - Fallout (Civil Music) > Jubei - Say Nothin (Rockwell rmx) (Razors Edge) > Om Unit - Le Singe (Om Unit Edits), best blends I have heard with say nothing remix by far and that danny scrilla tune is banging might have to look into more of his releases

The Watcha likes this.
  18. Elwood

Elwood Member

Great mix man.

Om Unit - Le Singe was a new one to me. Lovely tune, and the mix in and out of it were perfect. Definite mood changer once you shifted into "The Root", kind of an Act 1 to Act 2 transition which I love hearing in mixes (not sure if that was your intention, but that was my take anyway).

Planet X is such a tune. I recently used that in a mix as well. Interesting choice to mix it into the Om Unit Reach Out remix but I thought you nailed it. Nice one.

Good stuff, I'll be checking your other mixes as well.

The Watcha likes this.
  19. The Watcha

Let me know what you thought of it Dan

Cheers Dannyboy! Glad you liked it, and thanks for the compliments, plus picking up on my favourite string in there.
    As mentioned before, Say Nothin - Le Singe was my favourite in there and the whole structure of this mix was built around that. What you said about that really made my day :) and saw SO pleased when I found that myself, I knew it was the basis for a B&B episode.

Yeh, Danny Scrilla hasn't had much out, but both of his EP's and the remix he has done are top notch and sat in the stack. Thanks for checking!

Thanks Elwood!
    Yeh, Le Singe is such a nice tune. I know what your saying about Le Singe - The Roof, just felt like the beats of those went together, so had them side by side in the mix, and like you said, kinda took the direction of the mix on a different tack with that.

Planet X is possibly my fav off that EP, and wanted something to contrast it, so I thought the low end half time wobbles of Reach Out rmx did just that. Nice one for noticing those 2 mixes. B&B 6 coming in nye on 2 weeks or so hopefully ;) Respect for having a listen. Ez

20. The Watcha

Week 2 bump