Rifine - Beats & Bass 3 - ASC, Ruffhouse, Consequence, Scuba, FIS, Nico, Skeptical

The Watcha

VIP Junglist
I present to you part 3. A more abstract & diverse episode in the series, taking a slightly different approach & structure with this one. Few names in there that didn't make it in to part 1 or 2, but still some familiar names from the first couple of episodes. Any comments & feedback are always welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Part 4 will follow later this year

Tracklist:-

ASC - The Depths (Non Plus)
Ruffhouse - The Bypass (Ingredients)
ST Files - Crackden (Soul:r)
FIS - Love Stress Drama (Samurai Horo)
Ruffhouse - Division III (Ingredients)
Stray - Erase (Critical Records)
Overlook - Lusca (Inception Audio)
Consequence - Pseudo Echo (Exit Recordings)
Danny Scrilla - X (Cosmic Bridge)
Nico - Hyperspace (No U Turn)
Two Fingers - Form One (Big Dada)
Scuba - So You Think Your Special (Hotflush)
Consequence - Farewell (Exit Recordings)
Instramental - Photograph (Darkestral)
Distance - Skys Alight (Non Plus)
Omar - Lay It Down (Triad Instrumental) (Phunkfiction Recordings)
Scuba - Tense (Ramadanman rmx) (Abucs)
Raiden - Danzon (Voodoo Music)
Skeptical - Cold One (Ingredients)
Data - Blowpipe (Lucky Devil)
Clarity - Off The Cuff (Exit Recordings)
ASC - Porcelain (Non Plus)
Mr Sizef & Unquote - Hours Have No Reverse Motion (Hospital)

Alternative download link - http://dnbshare.com/download/Rifine_Beats_N_Bass_3_D_B_Mix_Feb_2013.mp3.html

Re: Rifine - Beats & Bass 3 - ASC, Ruffhouse, Consequence, Scuba, FIS, Nico, Skeptica

Wow (y)

Guna need to rustle up some special feedback for you brah! Favourited in SC.
Big ups Mark, i'm sure it will be well worth the wait for this.

Re: Rifine - Beats & Bass 3 - ASC, Ruffhouse, Consequence, Scuba, FIS, Nico, Skeptica

:dutty:

Oh shit

Nice man, been on a mad one recently following forum peeps on Soundcloud, so will definitely check this as well

Monster tl

Loved it the whole way through, wicked selection, a lot of stuff I hadn't heard until now. Loving that FIS piece as well

tracklist looks really interesting, definitely checking

Hopefully listen to this one tonight and get some feedback to you, looks like a biggy

Thanks for looking Jack, Stu, Castel, $pyto, Jwood, Sicx & everyone else + all your words so far. Looking forward to your feedback thoughts

Loved it the whole way through, wicked selection, a lot of stuff I hadn't heard until now. Loving that FIS piece as well

Appreciate the feedback Vanden! & glad you loved it. Your too kind :)
Love Stress Drama is my favourite tune off that FIS ep & wanted to include it in a B&B episode

Was a really great mix man! Totally enjoyed it, I think i liked it abit more than your other ones because it was longer and therefore covered a range of different 'deeper' styles.
The Depths was a good intro, really unnerving that tune. Mixed quickly into Bypass and the two sat pretty nicely together.
Crackden down to Pseudo Echo was mixed ridiculously well, Lusca is a seriously scary tune ive been playing for ages now (but wasnt aloud to record with, Jason!) and still sounds just as nasty.
Anyhow, I only really knew where the mix was at this point because Pseudo Echo is one of my fave Consequence bits from Live for Never. And the next 6 or so tracks were once again mixed so well, flow was wicked. You drew tracks that ive hardly heard yet alone play, So You Think Your Special being one I really need to play more, Scuba's 170 is always wicked.
Photograph is stunning, as is Sky's Alight and those two sounded wicked together.
The Omar Remix is one i play a fair bit and its annoying to mix I find, bass is deep but comes in stabs as opposed to a continuous wave, if you get me. But you mixed it well.
Tense Remix is sick, its abit of a steppy track and im not sure it suited the Triad Remix that well, but sounded good none the less! Sounded so good into Danzon though (drawing on Voodoo here! Wicked track selection)
Cold One was mixed in really well, like how you left the Danzon percussion fade through, added alot to Cold One.
Never heard Blowpipe before and tbh didnt even notice a mix here! Flawless mate, sounded wicked.
Last 3 are tracks ive heard alot, Off the Cuff is still absolute weight though, who'd have thought it sounded so good with Porcelain, only little criticism I have here is maybe keep the bass of Porcelain off and drop it in later.
Hours Have No Reverse Motion is a stunning tune that used to get cained back in the Autonomic days, really quality outro.

All in all another wicked one mate, mixed really, really well and I always look forward to these. You're got a real nack for track selection, which, tbh, is something I admire more than the actual mixing.
If you looking for a little bit of helpful criticism only thing I would say is maybe let a mix go on for a little longer without cutting out so early to get a strong flow (I think this happened once in here im just being picky!) and try not to always mix a track in with the bass up full.

Anyhow big up Watcha! Loved it

loved this mate, there's not too many repping this sorta style so it's great that you went in even deeper than the last 2 in terms of track selection. mixing was absolutely spot on for me, didn't think that anything sounded out of place whilst listening so all good. love drama stress was slowed down a lot and sounded a bit weird because of it, i know cos i've tried to mix it at 170 too :) the blends in and out of it were fine tho. what's your setup like if you dont mind me asking?

this suited me to a T, exactly my sort of style. shame we have to wait for the next one, quality over quantity is a good thing tho obvs

Was a really great mix man! Totally enjoyed it, I think i liked it abit more than your other ones because it was longer and therefore covered a range of different 'deeper' styles.
The Depths was a good intro, really unnerving that tune. Mixed quickly into Bypass and the two sat pretty nicely together.
Crackden down to Pseudo Echo was mixed ridiculously well, Lusca is a seriously scary tune ive been playing for ages now (but wasnt aloud to record with, Jason!) and still sounds just as nasty.
Anyhow, I only really knew where the mix was at this point because Pseudo Echo is one of my fave Consequence bits from Live for Never. And the next 6 or so tracks were once again mixed so well, flow was wicked. You drew tracks that ive hardly heard yet alone play, So You Think Your Special being one I really need to play more, Scuba's 170 is always wicked.
Photograph is stunning, as is Sky's Alight and those two sounded wicked together.
The Omar Remix is one i play a fair bit and its annoying to mix I find, bass is deep but comes in stabs as opposed to a continuous wave, if you get me. But you mixed it well.
Tense Remix is sick, its abit of a steppy track and im not sure it suited the Triad Remix that well, but sounded good none the less! Sounded so good into Danzon though (drawing on Voodoo here! Wicked track selection)
Cold One was mixed in really well, like how you left the Danzon percussion fade through, added alot to Cold One.
Never heard Blowpipe before and tbh didnt even notice a mix here! Flawless mate, sounded wicked.
Last 3 are tracks ive heard alot, Off the Cuff is still absolute weight though, who'd have thought it sounded so good with Porcelain, only little criticism I have here is maybe keep the bass of Porcelain off and drop it in later.
Hours Have No Reverse Motion is a stunning tune that used to get cained back in the Autonomic days, really quality outro.

All in all another wicked one mate, mixed really, really well and I always look forward to these. You're got a real nack for track selection, which, tbh, is something I admire more than the actual mixing.
If you looking for a little bit of helpful criticism only thing I would say is maybe let a mix go on for a little longer without cutting out so early to get a strong flow (I think this happened once in here im just being picky!) and try not to always mix a track in with the bass up full.

Anyhow big up Watcha! Loved it

Wow Sicx! That is some quality feedback :) Only longer but a few minutes from part 1 though & tried to include some more left-field bits in there. Glad you picked up on the first blend + the Crackden to Pseudo Echo section as well, as they are some of my favourite mixes in this episode, along with the handful of mixes after. Lusca is a menacing tune that I have loved since it turned up. Psuedo Echo has got to be possibly my favourite solo Consequence production, its simple, steppy & hits hard whilst being atmospheric at the same time :)

So You Think Your Special is a special bit of Scuba's. Love the melody & vocals in that. And, as you mentioned, he has some wicked 170 bits like that & Before. Pleased you noticed Photograph - Skys Alight too as I wanted something to compliment Photograph without being too in-your-face, so I thought the lazy drums & mildly filthy notes of Skys Alight suited it down to the ground. That Omar rmx was a tune I picked up as I thought it sounded a lot like Instramental's kinda style at the time it came out, but it has been sat in the stack for ages, so thought it would be wise to include it in a B&B episode. I found it a bit annoying to mix at first, as it takes a little getting used to + it is a fairly quiet cut on vinyl too.

That Tense rmx is cool, but mainly picked it up for the other side. Also have the dBridge rmx of Tense as well as they are both quality. The first couple of Voodoo bits I loved both sides, then I started going off the label & fair play for noticing the Danzon - Cold One blend. Blowpipe I believe was the first Data tune I picked up. Love that tune & had to put it in one of these episodes. Off The Cuff - Porcelain I stumbled across when putting the mix together & was really please the way those 2 suited each other. A little bass heavy on Porcelain I know. My bad.

Thanks for your wise words & constructive comments man! I really appreciate them & compliments :) I have a habit of wanting to move the mix on quickly, which I need to work on minimising sometimes. The majority of the tunes being mixed out of only have a 4 x 32 bar section for their second half, or where it was still the first part of the tune, would have got the the middle breakdown where I don't like to continue the mix. I think it takes some of the energy out of the mix hearing a breakdown on the end of a mix, with the tune coming in- in full flow. And I will apply what you mention about the bass to my next mixes.

loved this mate, there's not too many repping this sorta style so it's great that you went in even deeper than the last 2 in terms of track selection. mixing was absolutely spot on for me, didn't think that anything sounded out of place whilst listening so all good. love drama stress was slowed down a lot and sounded a bit weird because of it, i know cos i've tried to mix it at 170 too :) the blends in and out of it were fine tho. what's your setup like if you dont mind me asking?

this suited me to a T, exactly my sort of style. shame we have to wait for the next one, quality over quantity is a good thing tho obvs

Cheers Jack! I love repping this sort of style, partly because of that & because I like the sub-genre :) As long as people continue to make these kinda tunes, I will continue to buy them, providing I like them. Wanted to go on a deeper tip, as you've picked up on. Spices the episodes up a bit. Couple of bass heavy mixes in there that Sicx picked up on, but your very kind with your words. Love Stress Drama was on -8 on pitch fader & yeah it was weird mixing at a slow pitch, but that tune is hectic as you like at 0 or anything +pitch, so wanted it to bring the tribal vibe, slowed down a bit :) Funny how you & Sicx mentioned a couple of the same bits in this mix

Course I don't mind. My set up is 2x Technic 1210 mk5g's (christmas treat a year & 2 months ago) + a crazy old 3 channel JCB (like the construction vehicles :) ) mixer . Also have a couple of Bose 8" speakers.

Part 4 will be out after I have dropped a some mixes that will appeal to a more wider audience. Good things come to those who wait ;)

You must spread some rep before giving Sicx or jsmith some more ect

My turn!

Loved this all in all, tunes I didnt know, tunes I did etc etc.

The Depths >> Bypass >> Crackden was an awesome way to start, really got it going on early doors here.
To be honest, that Depths tune sounds like some mad eery shit. Love that kind of vibe at the moment, great for an opener.

Photograph >> Skys Alight was perfect. Nothing I need to say on that.

Some of the selection towards the end was really fucking awesome, Cold One, Blow Pipe, & Off The Cuff which for me is ridiculously sick still. Clarity is a fucking don.

Sicx touched on some of the bits where the bass was full on, I do agree with him to a certain extent. Maybe something to work on.
I would say that maybe the mixing style needs to be a bit more varied, alot of the mixes early on let the tune go all the way to the 2nd breakdown then the next tune is mixed in 32 bars after the 2nd breakdown. Keeps the listener interested, and most of all it shows you have a variety of ways of mixing tunes.
I would also say that some of the tunes came in rather abruptly, and left the mix rather quickly, might be to do with your mixer, but i'd try and bring the tune your bringing into the mix a little slower and more progressively...just a small critique! :D

Didn't know you have Mk5 G's, very very swish.

All in all spot on, probably not my favourite, I love BB2 tbh! Some of the mixes & selection in this had me bouncing though. This was still decent!
Sorry I couldn't detailings my feedbackings like yourself just haven't got the time at the moment pal.

Big up your multi-coloured socks. (y)

My turn!

Loved this all in all, tunes I didnt know, tunes I did etc etc.

The Depths >> Bypass >> Crackden was an awesome way to start, really got it going on early doors here.
To be honest, that Depths tune sounds like some mad eery shit. Love that kind of vibe at the moment, great for an opener.

Photograph >> Skys Alight was perfect. Nothing I need to say on that.

Some of the selection towards the end was really fucking awesome, Cold One, Blow Pipe, & Off The Cuff which for me is ridiculously sick still. Clarity is a fucking don.

Sicx touched on some of the bits where the bass was full on, I do agree with him to a certain extent. Maybe something to work on.
I would say that maybe the mixing style needs to be a bit more varied, alot of the mixes early on let the tune go all the way to the 2nd breakdown then the next tune is mixed in 32 bars after the 2nd breakdown. Keeps the listener interested, and most of all it shows you have a variety of ways of mixing tunes.
I would also say that some of the tunes came in rather abruptly, and left the mix rather quickly, might be to do with your mixer, but i'd try and bring the tune your bringing into the mix a little slower and more progressively...just a small critique! :D

Didn't know you have Mk5 G's, very very swish.

All in all spot on, probably not my favourite, I love BB2 tbh! Some of the mixes & selection in this had me bouncing though. This was still decent!
Sorry I couldn't detailings my feedbackings like yourself just haven't got the time at the moment pal.

Big up your multi-coloured socks. (y)

Thanks for the feedback 'artist formally known as Stu' ! :teeth:
& fair play for picking up on a few of the sections that I enjoyed mixing the most in this episode

Some of the bass heavy sections I was a bit annoyed with, as I had tried out a couple of them before in recordings & it sounded like they were drowned out by the other tune in the mix, so for B&B 3 I tweaked the volume up slightly on one occasion & the bass up slightly on another occasion, but it sounds too much.

Partly the reason alot of the tunes come in abruptly is because 47% of the tunes in this episode are mixed from the drop. I know its not a conventional way of mixing, but when those tunes have unmixable intros (eg that quiet 32 bars or more with no beat, or anything to listen out for just before the drop) I mix them from the drop & bring them in just before the end of a 32 bar section, hence the abruptness. A couple I chose to mix from the drop too & mixing from the drop cuts the first section of the tune down, so when the ride moves to the next tune, sometimes we were already at the central breakdown.

Yeh, I treated myself to a pair. Been meaning to for ages & as Technics had stopped making them, I had to get a pair before they sold out everywhere. Must spread some rep ect

Last edited:

Hello mate

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed this, completely forgot I added you on Soundcloud so it was a pleasent suprise when this popped up! Your mixing is impeccable, the transitions between the tunes are, for the most part, barely noticable and this is a great testament to yourself as it shows how well, and carefully you have selected the tracks. I wasn't keen on the mix of Crack Den into Love, Drama, Stress as I thought it clashed a bit but the mix into Division III was seemless. I think my favourite part is with Pseudo Echo, love that tune and i'd love to see another Consequence album, Etched looks to be an exciting project. Overall as others have already said your selection is right up my street, not enough people do mixes like this so big props to you.

Hello mate

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed this, completely forgot I added you on Soundcloud so it was a pleasent suprise when this popped up! Your mixing is impeccable, the transitions between the tunes are, for the most part, barely noticable and this is a great testament to yourself as it shows how well, and carefully you have selected the tracks. I wasn't keen on the mix of Crack Den into Love, Drama, Stress as I thought it clashed a bit but the mix into Division III was seemless. I think my favourite part is with Pseudo Echo, love that tune and i'd love to see another Consequence album, Etched looks to be an exciting project. Overall as others have already said your selection is right up my street, not enough people do mixes like this so big props to you.

Hey man! Thanks for taking the time to listen to B&B 3 & jot some feedback! Am pleased you enjoyed it & respect for your compliments :) I wouldn't say impeccable, as we are forever self critical of our own work, but I was happy to put it out there. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for some interesting ideas in the next handful of mixes if you liked the selection in this ;)

I really liked Crackden - Love Stress Drama & wanted to include it in this part. But we all have different tastes.
Did see Consequence mention something about that Etched project on facebook the other day. Looks like it will be interesting & hope there is as much dnb output on there as well as his other stuff that he makes. +Repped

Mate, this was fuckin spectacular

I was really impressed by the selection from the start, as me and you have both historically posted in threads containing (good) jaamp aap/dancefloor riddims, so it's always good to listen to a set from someone else who also fully appreciates the full spectrum, big respek

Admittedly, I'm not massively clued up about the whole ASC kind of tings, as I'm a dancefloor orientated head - especially when I go out. But, for me, these type of mixes are the boomting at 8am the next day when you don't know who/where you are etc. And I really enjoyed it Sun morning for that reason! Keep it up mate, some great tunes I've never heard of before in there, and I really enjoyed it for that reason. So, out to you good Sir

Mate, this was fuckin spectacular

I was really impressed by the selection from the start, as me and you have both historically posted in threads containing (good) jaamp aap/dancefloor riddims, so it's always good to listen to a set from someone else who also fully appreciates the full spectrum, big respek

Admittedly, I'm not massively clued up about the whole ASC kind of tings, as I'm a dancefloor orientated head - especially when I go out. But, for me, these type of mixes are the boomting at 8am the next day when you don't know who/where you are etc. And I really enjoyed it Sun morning for that reason! Keep it up mate, some great tunes I've never heard of before in there, and I really enjoyed it for that reason. So, out to you good Sir

Cheers $pyto! & again, your another who's too kind with your feedback :)

Selection is something I think about a fair bit, like Sicx touched on. I like to put some thought into a recording if I am doing a theme. Anyone can string a mix together if you have beat matching down at the end of the day.

I started liking dnb because of jump up at first, and still like jump up, but haven't had an hour long mix with it in time. Then my tastes changed when a mate introduced me to dBridge & Instramental, so I like the experimental 170 stuff & then onto more deeper / rolling tunes from there. I do appreciate a good tune here & there, just not completely sold on all liquid mixes & really don't like that awful relentless hard dnb, but I like a wide variety of dnb & there is a time & place for everything, like you mentioned. You could put it like that :)

I do like to make others aware of tunes if I can, like that Nico bit, when I heard it I wanted to include it in something like the B&B series & even though it says Hyperspace (Breaks mix) on the sleeve, it clearly isn't breaks. Thanks for listening & jotting some feedback man. More interesting ideas to come in the months ahead ;) +repped

will definitely listen to this, but i don't know if it's tomorrow, next week or next month...let's just say that i'm aware of this :)

Back
Top Bottom