Rifine - Beats & Bass 1 - Dawn Day Night, Clarity, Fracture, Om Unit, Stray

The Watcha

VIP Junglist
Thought it had been a little while since my last recording, but has only been a month. Anyhow, with a few ideas simmering & because the winter months are rolling in, I thought it was only right that I go back to style of dnb that I favour (percussion based / bit minimal / half time). Although I wouldn't say I have a series in mind, I'm planning on doing part 2 in the coming months, then who knows. There are some jukey bits in there + I wanted the mix to be technically challenging, piecing all the interesting combinations together that I'd discovered over recent months. Hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I did mixing it. As always, any comments & feedback are welcome.

Tracklist:-

Om Unit - Slowfast Matrix (Civil Music)
Clarity - Twisted Logic (Horizons X)
dBridge - Cornered (Metalheadz)
Two Fingers - Crunch Rhythm (Big Dada)
Dawn Day Night - Big Booty Girls (Astrophonica)
Dub Phizix - Out There (Ingredients Records)
Data - Fragment (Blackout Music)
Dawn Day Night - Voodoo Vibe (Astrophonica)
Clarity - Tolerate (Horizons)
Dub Phizix & Skeptical - Run It Like The President (Samurai Music)
Fracture - The Limit vip (Astrophonica)
Lynx & Malibu - Banging Arcs (Detail Recordings)
Spinline - Life (Demand Records)
Abstract Elements - Wrong Way (Exit Recordings)
Fracture - Bad Habit (Om Unit vip) (Astrophonica)
Stray - Break Ya Legs (Brownswood Recordings)
Clarity - Fractured (Exit Recordings)
Spinline - Sundays (Stray rmx) (Demand Records)
Fracture & Dawn Day Night - Get Down To The Funky Beat (Exit Recordings)
Abstract Elements - Essence Of Time (Exit Recordings)
Mutated Forms - Look What You Have Done (CIA Deep Kut)
Ruffhouse - The Foot (Ingredients Records)
Instramental - Hunter (Soul:R)

Massive TL bro!

Life is pretty much my favourite tune off that Spinline EP, the whole thing is quality, but its such a standout tune.

Also big ups for playing Hunter. Gritty tune, & its a nice touch its on a 7".

Will come back with some thoughts as usual. Pon the DL.

i fucking love this mix. selection / vibe / mixing everything is just so on point. that opening blend is class man sets the whole mix up perfectly. get that part 2 done quick time s'il vous plait

also how the FUCK did i not know about that lynx tune, just checked the flip too.... release is killer. thanks for the introduction!

looks big ! will check on the way to work

Massive TL bro!

Life is pretty much my favourite tune off that Spinline EP, the whole thing is quality, but its such a standout tune.

Also big ups for playing Hunter. Gritty tune, & its a nice touch its on a 7".

Will come back with some thoughts as usual. Pon the DL.

on it man, looks nice

Cheers guys! Hope you like it :) + wanted to string Hunter into a mix at some point. With it being cut to 7" it needs to be up pretty loud compared to the other tune so that it pushes through & not sit back in the mix, as well as being played with something that compliments it

i fucking love this mix. selection / vibe / mixing everything is just so on point. that opening blend is class man sets the whole mix up perfectly. get that part 2 done quick time s'il vous plait

also how the FUCK did i not know about that lynx tune, just checked the flip too.... release is killer. thanks for the introduction!

Wow! Thanks for the words jsmith :) you're too kind. Glad you liked the opener as well. Was playing about with tunes that would go nicely with Fastslow Matrix & happened to stumble across that. As for Bangin Arcs, its a wicked rhythmic tune that got overlooked at the time & mainly heard Keep It Low getting plugged before release. For part 2 I can't promise that it will be as technical, but will be on a similar tip

Been so busy recently, but managed to squeeze this in on my way home from work last night (and had another wee blast of it this morning)

Really digging this sort of stuff recently so standardly this was more than audible listening!

Ill point out a few bits I like/dislike etc.

Dub Phizix - Out There (Ingredients Records) - well this 3 tune section pretty much killed it IMO. Crunch Rhythm was rolling out then BAM BBG's came flying in. Wicked blend. Out There seemed to work really well with Big Booty Girls too, need to play Out There more tbh huge tune.

Dub Phizix & Skeptical - Run It Like The President (Samurai Music) - Sadly dont really dig this tune...got it on vinyl as well but much prefer half man. made sense switching it up, impossible to mix through the vocal breakdown.
Fracture - The Limit vip (Astrophonica) - Not bad, felt there was alot going on in this mix, really love the Limit VIP, maybe felt a few EQ tweeks could make these two sit better in the mix, but i'm being picky.
Lynx & Malibu - Banging Arcs (Detail Recordings) - YES! Nailed this blend tbh. Another massive tune too. Killing it thus far.Spinline - Life (Demand Records) - Huge tune, big favourite of mine...blend wasn't too bad, felt it lost a bit of energy when you cut out Banging Arcs but still very good.
Abstract Elements - Wrong Way (Exit Recordings) - can hear this coming in, love the vibe this tune gives off. not so sure on the switch to it, but it lets the tune breath which is good IMO. creepy vibes
Fracture - Bad Habit (Om Unit vip) (Astrophonica) - don't know this tune personally, OM Unit has been killing it recently, came in a bit suddenly, but the mix was generally quite a good one. Can still hear wrong way in the background. In fact the more I hear this tune, the more I like it. Riddim.
Stray - Break Ya Legs (Brownswood Recordings) - can hear this building up nicely, & yes wicked mix, great blend of mids right here...spot on. This is a fucking mad tune btw.
Clarity - Fractured (Exit Recordings) - WOW like the way this dropped. Awesome. Steady stuff. Break your legs exited the mix rather quickly but no big drama with that. Fractured is gully
Spinline - Sundays (Stray rmx) (Demand Records) - Yea nb...didnt think the beats worked too well together...Sundays remix has a really quick drumbeat, where was Fractured was much more open and big beat style, they layered quite well over each other but it wasn't for me personally, much preferred it when you switched to Sundays Remix on its own
Fracture & Dawn Day Night - Get Down To The Funky Beat (Exit Recordings) - Guessing before this comes in its going to work with the drums of Sundays remix...& yes. Nicely brought in, EQ'd well. Might have taken a little more treble out of Sundays remix to make them sit well but overall pretty good.

Enjoyed the last 4 tunes & mixes tbh, hard to fault anything. As said before love Hunter. Used to pull a fat opening mix with Hunter >> Marka which used to go off.

This was definitely a great way to end a distinctly average week.
Big ups your socks Mr Watcha, thoroughly enjoyed; didn't feel I had to go all out with constructive criticism, this mix was all round goodness, and found it very hard to fault in places. My only small thing I would say is with these mad drumbeats and patterns is to maybe EQ the treble slightly differently so they sit well together mid mix, as opposed to on top of each other, but its merely a minor critique because I'm trying to find something on the flipside of the coin rather than yeah fat mix this is large ra ra ra.

Will be downloading to have on my Ipod. Ridiculous vibes in this one.

Big ups pal.

Been in the Dam for a weekend & just getting round to checking up on a few posts.

I am all over this! Will try to listen & feedback soon

Cool. Thought this might be up your street Sicx. Hope you like/d it

Been so busy recently, but managed to squeeze this in on my way home from work last night (and had another wee blast of it this morning)

Really digging this sort of stuff recently so standardly this was more than audible listening!

Ill point out a few bits I like/dislike etc.

Dub Phizix - Out There (Ingredients Records) - well this 3 tune section pretty much killed it IMO. Crunch Rhythm was rolling out then BAM BBG's came flying in. Wicked blend. Out There seemed to work really well with Big Booty Girls too, need to play Out There more tbh huge tune.

Dub Phizix & Skeptical - Run It Like The President (Samurai Music) - Sadly dont really dig this tune...got it on vinyl as well but much prefer half man. made sense switching it up, impossible to mix through the vocal breakdown.
Fracture - The Limit vip (Astrophonica) - Not bad, felt there was alot going on in this mix, really love the Limit VIP, maybe felt a few EQ tweeks could make these two sit better in the mix, but i'm being picky.
Lynx & Malibu - Banging Arcs (Detail Recordings) - YES! Nailed this blend tbh. Another massive tune too. Killing it thus far.Spinline - Life (Demand Records) - Huge tune, big favourite of mine...blend wasn't too bad, felt it lost a bit of energy when you cut out Banging Arcs but still very good.
Abstract Elements - Wrong Way (Exit Recordings) - can hear this coming in, love the vibe this tune gives off. not so sure on the switch to it, but it lets the tune breath which is good IMO. creepy vibes
Fracture - Bad Habit (Om Unit vip) (Astrophonica) - don't know this tune personally, OM Unit has been killing it recently, came in a bit suddenly, but the mix was generally quite a good one. Can still hear wrong way in the background. In fact the more I hear this tune, the more I like it. Riddim.
Stray - Break Ya Legs (Brownswood Recordings) - can hear this building up nicely, & yes wicked mix, great blend of mids right here...spot on. This is a fucking mad tune btw.
Clarity - Fractured (Exit Recordings) - WOW like the way this dropped. Awesome. Steady stuff. Break your legs exited the mix rather quickly but no big drama with that. Fractured is gully
Spinline - Sundays (Stray rmx) (Demand Records) - Yea nb...didnt think the beats worked too well together...Sundays remix has a really quick drumbeat, where was Fractured was much more open and big beat style, they layered quite well over each other but it wasn't for me personally, much preferred it when you switched to Sundays Remix on its own
Fracture & Dawn Day Night - Get Down To The Funky Beat (Exit Recordings) - Guessing before this comes in its going to work with the drums of Sundays remix...& yes. Nicely brought in, EQ'd well. Might have taken a little more treble out of Sundays remix to make them sit well but overall pretty good.

Enjoyed the last 4 tunes & mixes tbh, hard to fault anything. As said before love Hunter. Used to pull a fat opening mix with Hunter >> Marka which used to go off.

This was definitely a great way to end a distinctly average week.
Big ups your socks Mr Watcha, thoroughly enjoyed; didn't feel I had to go all out with constructive criticism, this mix was all round goodness, and found it very hard to fault in places. My only small thing I would say is with these mad drumbeats and patterns is to maybe EQ the treble slightly differently so they sit well together mid mix, as opposed to on top of each other, but its merely a minor critique because I'm trying to find something on the flipside of the coin rather than yeah fat mix this is large ra ra ra.

Will be downloading to have on my Ipod. Ridiculous vibes in this one.

Big ups pal.

Wow, thanks for the feedback Mr Smith! Really feeling some of these styles recently too. Just wish their were more producers experimenting with them. Also pleased that you liked the mixes around Big Booty Girls. That section has to be one of my favourites in there + Out There is a wicked tune. Love the almost table-tennis steppy beat in Out There :) As you said with the President, an arse of an intro to mix the vocal intro through with a beat, but heard Clarity do just that when he played in Soton earlier this year.

I do need to keep an ear out for where I am going adrift with the EQ'ing. Thought the President - Limit vip mix worked alright, if a lot going on, didn't feel it was too much though. Break Your Legs is a tune with mad production it has too be said & really wanted to include it in the 'mix' as everytime I have heard Rockwell play it, he switches it at the drop. Glad you liked the mixes either side of that, as well as the majority of blends & selection. Nice one for the kind words as ever, especially those in bold :) Will try to persevere with the EQ'ing for part 2 coming soon.

You must spread some rep around before giving it to agent Smith again

Last edited:
Never been much of a fan of this sort of stuff but thought I should probably give it another go seeing as most people who otherwise like the same sort of dnb as me love this shit! Anyways, the second cornered came in was hooked - massive mix! Same goes for when Booty Big Girls comes in, love the combination of all the percussions at once.. Normally I try and avoid that sort of mix like the plague but with these juke tunes the clicks and snares going off all over just sounds sick!

Out There >> Fragment also sick, but sounds a bit weak when Out There drops out (i think it might just be that fragment is a bit quieter, which makes sense because it's a bit overwhelming when voodoo vibe first comes in aswell)

Run it like the President >> The Limit VIP is a bit hectic, I just think the latter comes in too suddenly and is a bit too loud. Sounds better once you get used to it, still a bit cluttered though. Same goes for the mix out of the limit, maybe it's just an impossible tune to mix?!

wrong way >> bad habit is epic, so fucking funky together! really nice switch up after the very minimal last few tracks

then not even sure which track is which but the bit from 43 mins on is absolutely mad and i think you just about pull it off! then the build up to, and drop at, 45min 30 is absolutely perfect - my favourite bit of the mix.

look what you have done is probably my favourite track of the mix, even if it does sound a lot like wastegash :P and the last couple mixes are solid, expecting big things to come from ruffhouse!

anyways, nice mix and thanks for the eye opener into this sub genre (literally knew about 5 of those tracks before listening, definitely gonna bag a couple more now though)

Never been much of a fan of this sort of stuff but thought I should probably give it another go seeing as most people who otherwise like the same sort of dnb as me love this shit! Anyways, the second cornered came in was hooked - massive mix! Same goes for when Booty Big Girls comes in, love the combination of all the percussions at once.. Normally I try and avoid that sort of mix like the plague but with these juke tunes the clicks and snares going off all over just sounds sick!

Out There >> Fragment also sick, but sounds a bit weak when Out There drops out (i think it might just be that fragment is a bit quieter, which makes sense because it's a bit overwhelming when voodoo vibe first comes in aswell)

Run it like the President >> The Limit VIP is a bit hectic, I just think the latter comes in too suddenly and is a bit too loud. Sounds better once you get used to it, still a bit cluttered though. Same goes for the mix out of the limit, maybe it's just an impossible tune to mix?!

wrong way >> bad habit is epic, so fucking funky together! really nice switch up after the very minimal last few tracks

then not even sure which track is which but the bit from 43 mins on is absolutely mad and i think you just about pull it off! then the build up to, and drop at, 45min 30 is absolutely perfect - my favourite bit of the mix.

look what you have done is probably my favourite track of the mix, even if it does sound a lot like wastegash :P and the last couple mixes are solid, expecting big things to come from ruffhouse!

anyways, nice mix and thanks for the eye opener into this sub genre (literally knew about 5 of those tracks before listening, definitely gonna bag a couple more now though)

Glad you liked some of it IFTN & I appreciate you giving it a whirl. Variety is the spice of life & all that. Pleased you liked the mix with BBG's too. Fragment might sound a tad quiet inbetween Out There & Voodoo vibe, but I don't think it overly stands out + I tried the Fragment - Voodoo Vibe out a couple of times with the bass in Voodoo Vibe not pushing through, so made it a shade louder for the recording. Bangin Arcs was the first tune I found that goes fairly well (imo) with The Limit vip, although as you mentioned, its just finding something that goes with it, as its a bit of an abrupt steppy tune. Also glad you like the section around 43-46 mins (Sundays rmx - GDTTFB - Essense Of Time). Was chasing the beat from Sundays to GDTTFB & wouldn't say the next blend was perfect, but it worked. Thanks for the words man!

Finally had a listen to this today man, sorry for the delay! Wicked vibes running all the way through, track selection was clean & on point.
Slowfast Matrix is probably my fave off the EP so entered on a high point. Although I love the second drop I can see why you didnt include it. All tunes were mixed really well and, like I said, track selection was wicked, tracks really mixed well with each other. Really clean, sharp beats. Need to bag Fracture - Bad Habit (Om Unit Vip) for sure.
Only thing I thought was a little messy was the Essense of Time - Look What You Have Done mix, but the Mutated Forms track is such a bastard to mix.
Ended so nicely on Hunter, such a bad bad tune.
Overall a really wicked mix. Great track selection and the mixing was good. Big up Watcha, will be checking out your mixes in the future for sure

this is some next level shit

Cheers wingz! Did clock your Shake Off The Cold mix over the weekend. Will be the next mix I get round to listening to. TL looks quality

Finally had a listen to this today man, sorry for the delay! Wicked vibes running all the way through, track selection was clean & on point.
Slowfast Matrix is probably my fave off the EP so entered on a high point. Although I love the second drop I can see why you didnt include it. All tunes were mixed really well and, like I said, track selection was wicked, tracks really mixed well with each other. Really clean, sharp beats. Need to bag Fracture - Bad Habit (Om Unit Vip) for sure.
Only thing I thought was a little messy was the Essense of Time - Look What You Have Done mix, but the Mutated Forms track is such a bastard to mix.
Ended so nicely on Hunter, such a bad bad tune.
Overall a really wicked mix. Great track selection and the mixing was good. Big up Watcha, will be checking out your mixes in the future for sure

Thanks for the kind words Sicx! No worries. Slowfast Matrix is my favourite of that EP too, so wanted to include it in a mix.
Was chasing the Essence - Look What You've Done blend, which i was a bit annoyed at, as that had been my favourite mix that i had found in recent months,
and that double beat on some notes of Look What You've Done is a bit of an arse, but I think it didn't stand out too much. Part 2 is coming along nicely ;)

BIG mix with a nice variety of tunes which reminded me of the recent OM Unit set on rinse in places.

You mix that jukey style well with deeper darker tunes more akin to what Loxy would play.

Your upping the levels Watcha!

BIG mix with a nice variety of tunes which reminded me of the recent OM Unit set on rinse in places.

You mix that jukey style well with deeper darker tunes more akin to what Loxy would play.

Your upping the levels Watcha!

Wow man! Thanks. One of the nicest compliments I've ever received, saying it reminded you of Om Unit's recent Rinse set :)
Tried to make something a bit ambitious & a bit challenging. Although there won't be any juke bits in the next chapter, there will be some interesting blends. Keep an eye out for part 2

Back
Top Bottom