Rifine Alphabetical & Numerical DnB Mixes (Amoss To Zero T & 0 To 10) 100% vinyl

Right, will stick this on and type out anything that comes to mind as it's playing

Amoss & Break obvious choices for A and B but not so sure about the tunes! They're both good but Amoss and Break both have such a ridiculously good back catalogue IMO there are much better tunes than these! Have to admit spitface makes a nice opener and it's a nice mix into run off but the latter just sounds kind of muffled/distant to me? I think the problem is just that I don't like it and not actually anythign wrong with the track haha (own it anyway so i obviously liked it at some point) :p

Calibre obvious choice for C, and nice choice of song. I think a lot of Calibre's tunes would be too chilled to roll off the back of run off but this works alright.

Sentinel, woo that's more my kind of tune! not even heard this one before either. lovin the quick mix into network as well, nice hearing that familiar bass line creep in over the top :) i think network could've been a tad louder though, dunno if the vinyl is quiet or something? mix into foreign concept is really nice, when the beat comes in in the background of network before possessive drops gives it a nice step up of energy to let you know what's coming! and the drop is as expected, these 2 work really well together. network taken out very subtly aswell which is nice.

mix into my soul is good, tunes work well together but again i'm just not that keen on it - that vocal always seemed a bit random and annoying to me!

the mix into crumbled is sick, especially after 16 bars when the percussion of one of the tunes drops out a bit and crumbled is a bit more distinguishable but still being complimented by the last tune. but then the vocal of my soul comes back!! the mix would've been even sicker if it didn't have that vocal from the last tune singing over it but again that's just me and nothing wrong with the mix itself haha

cold revenge into patience is a really nice rolling mix. probably my favourite bit so far. love it when you start to hear those little bongo percussion sounds of patience over revenge and then the little pause before the massive deep bass of patience comes in. perception keeps the energy rolling, sounds nice when patience drops out aswell and you get the steppy rhythm of perception a bit more clearly.

keep it low comign in sounded a little bit funny but worked great by the time it dropped, nice blend. and love the way it cuts out right as the next tune drops, leaving the touch to roll out (sounds a bit quiet though?). this whole section from cold revenge onwards has been really really nice, it's definitely not noticable that you've been limited in your selection by the A-Z thing.

Bass of paperboy coming in made me jump, on my sub anyway its about a million times louder than the sub of the touch! sick mix though, the vocals work really well over paperboy. and then the little bass womp/stab thing of waterboard coming in over the paperboy bassline sounds fucking sick! and the switch woudl've been perfect if waterboard was just a bit louder! maybe it's just that the bass of paperboy comes through ridic loudly in my sub but both the mixes into and out of it stood out because of how loud it was.

ahh, the clean break bassline rumbling below waterboard sounds awesome too. 2 very sick mixes with waterboard, gonna have to start using that little bassy womp noise as a powerful mixing tool. and then the next mix is really nice with those funny bleeps and vocal samples over clean break and then safety clause keeping the energy up nicely with the fast hats and rolling bass line.

not sure what happens with the next mix though, can still hear the sub of safety clause beneath constantcomplexrs even though the slightly higher lows of constantcompelx are playing? and then when safety clause drops out there's no sub at all? tbh i think my sub is just playing up completely, can't handle this mix for some reason hahah. the tunes work well together though.

not too keen on the mix into jetpack, loses a lot of the energy that had been kept up for the last 6 or 7 tunes. might';ve worked if you mixed into the intro of a tune with less energy and let it drop on its own but cutting out constantcomplex like that made jetpack seem a bit weak!

bassline of tesla underneath 8 ball sounds sick, bit of a switch up when 8 ball drops out but i think tesla is fat enough that it works well. splinter in your mind another rolling tune, might've worked better if it was switched places with constantcomplex but obviously you couldn't do that! good vibes rolls into it very nicely, keeping the pace up.

Last 2 tunes both good choices for the letters but don't really go well together, obviosuly veryr limited by the letters at this point though so no biggie!

Well that turned out as a bit of an essay!! Great idea anyway, and great mix as usual. Whole section from I to P was really really nice, if maybe spoiled slightly by difference in volumes. So i guess the only criticism i can offer is to watch your levels a bit!

Yes!

Opened up with Splitface, love this tune, definitely needs to be dug out more often.respect for letting it roll out, too many mixes are straight out with a double,quite refreshing hearing a tune roll out.
Mix into Run Off is EQ'd really well, kept the mids in of Splitface well, great mix man. Nice to hear Run Off mixed normally instead of being a split mix. Next up Tru Beat. Nice and steady mix, wasn’t too sure on the bass being left in of Run Off with Tru Beat, gain is slightly off also on Tru Beat, just reached for the volume a touch. Sentinel next up and looking at the TL I can tell I will enjoy this mix. Big kicks of Sentinel are in and rolling. Hoping for a switch up and yes, love the breakdown of Sentinel. Waiting for Network to get things moving again, nice quick mix, these really fused great together! EQ’d great sir! Possessive next up expecting this to sit nicely over Network. “your mine” little riff just poked over, funky little mix! Never play Possessive
Words can describe how much I love the next tune. Remember hearing it ages ago in a dubphizix skeptical mix and when it got released I was straight on it. These basslines are going to fuse so well & yes not bad at all! I would try and keep to the rule that one bassline is enough in the mix otherwise the blend can sound a little muddled. Not bad though at all. Crumbled is in, much more of a stepper than My Souls rollin’ vibes. Worked a treat though. Cold revenge next, another one I have barely played, used to batter frozen. Patience is poking its way through and yes!! Rolling vibes!
Next up Perception, this is gully. Really turned this up a notch, wicked stuff man. Keep it Low is just poking through. Keeping on the steppy kind of tip. Not bad again man, like the funky vocals of the lynx tune. Paperboy came in a treat. Let the vocal of the touch poke over the top and it’s a killer blend! Vibes. Waterboard next up working well building into the mix. not sure if there was a little too much bass left in of Waterboard? Couldn’t work it out…Safety Clause is poking over Clean Break, haven’t heard this before. Don’t mind a switch up every now & again, changes the direction and most mixes need them in my opinion.
Rockwell tune next & it is a killer blend sir. Probably my favourite mix of the lot so far. Excellent. Haven’t heard Jetpack in a members mix since one of TeddyBizzle’s, selection has been great man. Next mix into Total Sciences’ 8Ball and the blend was great, mids left in well of Jetpack, your Eqing bar a couple of bits has been superb. Sounded like Tesla was cued from 16 bars? Very quickly in the mix, would have liked to hear it sit a bit more over 8 ball, think the gain was a little down on Tesla. Next mix with Splinter in Your Mind was superb man, rolled perfectly over Tesla. EQ’d well to get the best out of both tunes.

Superb concept & you really nailed alot of this. EQing was great in places. My only slight critique was mid mix when it felt like both basslines were up and sometimes it felt a little muddled. Couple of the gains were slightly off, but I know how difficult it can be, majority of it was quality.

Great mix man thoroughly enjoyed, letting some tunes breathe was great & I sometimes think it is better than punishing doubles every mix. Will get on your numerics one, been slightly busy at work today (y)

Jeez Stu! Some hench feedback right there ^^^ Cheers!

Yeh, I wanted to let Spitface build before bringing in Run Off. Remembered a few heads saying they prefer Spitface to Minus with its bass wobbles at the 4th bar every so often, and it work nicely as an opener + also remember someone on here (possibly Teddy Bizzle) saying that the opening blend of a mix should be something that grabs you, so tried to focus my attention on this, as well as keeping the mix in a little longer. Did a trial of the first handful of tunes before a run of the full mix with the gain on Tru Beat turned down half a notch (as it is particularly bassy compared to Run Off) & it sounded weaker when the mix ended, so decided to leave the levels the same.

Did really like the Sentinel - Network mix too, which just fit into place once I had found the right Data tune that I wanted to use. Same thoughts about Possessive, played it a few times & sat in the stack, so had to include it in the mix. Normally I would echo your sentiments about keeping 1 bassline in the mix, but I thought that Possessive & My Soul sounded really nice together + when the bass tails off in the 4th 32 bar loop in the second part of Possessive, My Soul keeps the deep vibe going. Nice one for the comment about My Soul - Crumbled.... another of my fav blends in there & pleasing to mix + picking up on the Perception - Patience mix too :) The Touch does seem to ease down a bit when it drops, which I was a little annoyed at... oh well. Doesn't sound like a quiet pressing of the tune though my end.

Not heard Safety Clause man? A remix made it onto the flip of that Nosher (Baron rmx) years back. Did like the mix with CCRS, but did the best I could with a Rockwell tune out of Safety Clause + love Jepack, as mentioned before, up there with one of my fav Spinline tunes. Tesla was cued swiftly as I wanted to get the mix in before the breakdown in 8 Ball + 8 Ball is pretty bass heavy even with the bass turned down half a notch, but didn't think it drowned out the bass in Tesla too much. Fair play for mentioning the Tesla - Splinter mix too, possibly my fav to mix in there.

I do need to do my homework on the EQ-ing, which I am still trying to get to grips with & getting the gain levels to work right with tunes that are playing. I find it really hard to tell until when the tune coming in has dropped sometime, but I will work on that. Thanks for listening mate & all you kind words. Hope you like the numerical one as much

Right, will stick this on and type out anything that comes to mind as it's playing

IMO there are much better tunes than these! Have to admit spitface makes a nice opener and it's a nice mix into run off but the latter just sounds kind of muffled/distant to me? I (own it anyway so i obviously liked it at some point) :p

Calibre obvious choice for C, and nice choice of song. I think a lot of Calibre's tunes would be too chilled to roll off the back of run off but this works alright.

the mix into crumbled is sick, especially after 16 bars when the percussion of one of the tunes drops out a bit and crumbled is a bit more distinguishable but still being complimented by the last tune. but then the vocal of my soul comes back!!

cold revenge into patience is a really nice rolling mix. probably my favourite bit so far. love it when you start to hear those little bongo percussion sounds of patience over revenge and then the little pause before the massive deep bass of patience comes in. perception keeps the energy rolling, sounds nice when patience drops out aswell and you get the steppy rhythm of perception a bit more clearly.

Bass of paperboy coming in made me jump, on my sub anyway its about a million times louder than the sub of the touch! sick mix though, the vocals work really well over paperboy. and then the little bass womp/stab thing of waterboard coming in over the paperboy bassline sounds fucking sick! and the switch woudl've been perfect if waterboard was just a bit louder! maybe it's just that the bass of paperboy comes through ridic loudly in my sub but both the mixes into and out of it stood out because of how loud it was.

bassline of tesla underneath 8 ball sounds sick, bit of a switch up when 8 ball drops out but i think tesla is fat enough that it works well. splinter in your mind another rolling tune,

Last 2 tunes both good choices for the letters but don't really go well, obviosuly veryr limited by the letters at this point though so no biggie!

Well that turned out as a bit of an essay!! Great idea anyway, and great mix as usual. Whole section from I to P was really really nice, if maybe spoiled slightly by difference in volumes. So i guess the only criticism i can offer is to watch your levels a bit!

Christ IFTN! Thats some intense feedback! Couldn't completely multi quote with Stu & your feedback as the post would be over 10,000 characters again :D so cherry picked bits out.

I know Amoss & Break have an extensive back catalogue, but I felt that these two worked well in the mix + I really like Run Off. Has to be a bit personal to the person making the mix. Though the mix was clean-ish though myself. Network could have been a little louder, as Sentinel is a loud pressing, but didn't think it stood out that much. Though you might have liked My Soul... such a deep dj friendly tune. Nice one for picking up on the My Soul - Crumbled blend too, really nice to mix actually. I don't have a sub at home, but Waterboard is a louder pressing than Paperboy & Clean break, so I did have it half a volume notch lower on the volume fader.... didn't stand out too much I hope. Thought Jetpack complimented CCRS myself.... different tastes I suppose. And sound for mentioning 8 Ball - Tesla before Splinter In Your Mind. Really like the contrasting summery vibe of 8 Ball with the filthy bass of Tesla.

Appreciate the essay + sometimes the best way to give some in depth feedback is while you are listening, bit by bit. Thanks for the compliments & the advice. Some points where I tones down cuts with a louder pressing, the difference is probably amplified through a sub, but will bear in mind for future mixes. Lots more ideas up my sleeve ;)

Sorry for taking so long on the feedback mate been a busy week.

Idea of this was really original, thought this when you told me about it a while back and was excited to see how you pulled it off. Really liked how you stuck to using deeper tunes, made me enjoy it that bit more.
Right, the Spitface - Run Off - Tru Beat section was too sick, insanely flawless mixing here, track selection on point. Im not gunna lie mate its hard to do feedback for this one as everything is mixed so well! Literally can't fault anything. Big up for using the original of Patience as apposed to the VIP
Keep it Low is such a well produced gully tune that doesnt get played as much as it should, sounded wicked coming in.
A mix that really stood out to me throughout the whole thing was the Keep it Low - The Touch, the bass on The Touch sounded so nice being faded in, once again sick track selection and after this it all flowed standardly well.
Next mix that really stood out to me was the Tesla - Splinter in Your Mind - Good Vibes. SIYM & Good Vibes have a bit of an old school vibe about them was a nice little switch up. Plus the drop on SIYM sounded sick into Tesla.
Loved the brutal cut out of Good Vibes - Contortion, serious switch up but worked really well. Need to do this mixing technique more often as it has a great effect imo.
Nice ending on Zero T's Goes Around as well.

All in all great idea that has been pulled off insanely well, showcases a lot of styles in dnb but still keeps the overall vibe deep and techy. Big up Watcha! Look forward to more projects like this in the future.

Will try and have a listen to that other little one asap and get some feedback back to ya mate

Sorry for taking so long on the feedback mate been a busy week.

Idea of this was really original, thought this when you told me about it a while back and was excited to see how you pulled it off. Really liked how you stuck to using deeper tunes, made me enjoy it that bit more.
Right, the Spitface - Run Off - Tru Beat section was too sick, insanely flawless mixing here, track selection on point. Im not gunna lie mate its hard to do feedback for this one as everything is mixed so well! Literally can't fault anything. Big up for using the original of Patience as apposed to the VIP
Keep it Low is such a well produced gully tune that doesnt get played as much as it should, sounded wicked coming in.
A mix that really stood out to me throughout the whole thing was the Keep it Low - The Touch, the bass on The Touch sounded so nice being faded in, once again sick track selection and after this it all flowed standardly well.
Next mix that really stood out to me was the Tesla - Splinter in Your Mind - Good Vibes. SIYM & Good Vibes have a bit of an old school vibe about them was a nice little switch up. Plus the drop on SIYM sounded sick into Tesla.
Loved the brutal cut out of Good Vibes - Contortion, serious switch up but worked really well. Need to do this mixing technique more often as it has a great effect imo.
Nice ending on Zero T's Goes Around as well.

All in all great idea that has been pulled off insanely well, showcases a lot of styles in dnb but still keeps the overall vibe deep and techy. Big up Watcha! Look forward to more projects like this in the future.

Will try and have a listen to that other little one asap and get some feedback back to ya mate

Cheers Sicx for the feedback! Your too kind with your comments. Didn't let the idea slip, but you could have guessed from the question I asked you :D
Thought it was going to be super critical as per a few of the in depth replies I've had so far, but touched on the positives from the mix.

Yeh, tried to keep the vibe deeper & rolling as I don't like to stray too far from a sub-genre usually. Some people like Nuera can do this effortlessly though. Nice one for mentioning the opening 3 tune section..... wanted to set the scene before diving into the ride with Sentinel. Patience seemed like the dj friendly tune to use from Jubei's back catalogue + I didn't pick up the vip. True about Keep It Low. Heard Hype play it in a Kiss program of his when it was surfacing + like Banging Arcs on the flip too. Compliments the a side really well. Also fair play for mentioning the Tesla - Splinter in Your Mind - Good Vibes section :) As mentioned, loved discovering and mixing Tesla - Splinter in Your Mind as the rolling bass of Splinter in Your Mind when it takes off seems to sit really well with the filthy bass of Tesla. And wanted a fairly rolling Wickaman tune, as most of his solo work is more jump up.

Sometime a cut is needed in to chop the mix up & lets the next tune do its thing on its own, or with a tune that has no beat leading up to the drop + I don't have many Xtrah tunes & want to include Arise in another project.

Thanks for the last pleasantries. Thought it went nearly as well as I could have hoped.
You should enjoy the next project as it is something relating to this & I discovered it when getting this mix together ;)

Hope you like the numerical mix as well. I like it slightly more as it is brief & more compact

just finished listening the alphabetical mix. i liked both the original idea as well as the execution. tight mixing all the way through, selection is nice given the fact that it was intentionally limited by the artist names. next logical step would be a mix with alphabetical track names :)
for now i´ll try the numerical one, which is also looking awesome.

cheers!

just finished listening the alphabetical mix. i liked both the original idea as well as the execution. tight mixing all the way through, selection is nice given the fact that it was intentionally limited by the artist names. next logical step would be a mix with alphabetical track names :)
for now i´ll try the numerical one, which is also looking awesome.

cheers!

Nice one for having a listen Mr Black! I'm all about the original ideas :) although after the next project I will do a 'normal' mix. Thanks for your kind words about the execution, mixing & the limitation to the artist names. Respect for the suggestion on a project for the future. Have a long way to go to complete the tracklist though I think. Ez

fuck mate how clean is the alphabetical mix? just finished listening, admittedly prefer the more minimal deeper bits as opposed to the more tech aligned stuff here but it's exactly the sort of music i'd wanna hear on a big system. as has been said before the idea is a really good one, would be good for other members to do something similar, it's a good way of hearing what people's tastes are like. was great hearing keep it low, worked great off the back of perception in particular. and the opening blend is so tight, sets the rest up perfectly. on to the numerical one!

RANDOM idea for a mix that is man haha! tracklist's looking large though, gunna download it and put it on my mp3 playa. will feedback later!

The Watcha,

First thing I noticed was the tempo. Not too fast out of the gates, but not exactly too slow to hinder the up-beat flavour, it’s sitting just right. The intro of 'Spitface' was to the point; get the beats rolling before the big bass on ‘Run Off’ to establish the first tone of the set. Might have liked a more involved opener, but it’s a tiny critique. ‘Tru Beats’ makes its way nicely, squeezing in between the punchy snare to ‘Sentinel,’ which was nicely EQ’ed as to not overpower the previous track to set up a short filler and transition track in ‘Network,’ which at this point, (and mind you, only 10:00 minutes in), the set has already felt entirely different than the opening salvo. At around 11:30, the volume fades down a bit, to begin the nicely mixed ‘Foreign Concept’ (if I am not entirely too lost at this point). The vocals come on a little loud, but I completely understand the rising action concept here. Great mix.

Following the vocal one-liners ‘My Soul’ in to ‘Crumbled’ starts a reoccurring theme of tracks with punchy drums and bass followed by vocal tracks in between. Gives it a nice elevator effect, but at this point (18:19), the loudness of the incoming track is noticeable, but not too bad. Digging the transition from ‘Cold Revenge’ >> ‘Patience’ >> ‘Perception’ to form mini-themed string of darker edged sounds through ‘Keep it Low’ and to finally release the build up in to ‘The Touch,’ which was nicely mixed with the soft vocals. Sharper snares fillers and bass sets up the next rise. ‘Paperboy’ >> ‘Waterboard’ is a very good mix, filling in that snap snare quite nicely. Digging the energy here and keeping the consistency the same until Q-Project’s ‘Safety Clause,’ which is a nice throwback classic. Getting out of this tune can be rather difficult, because even if on-beat, there’s lots of sounds going on being quite noticeable (45:45). With a little tighter gain control here, the energy is picked up quite well heading in to ‘8-ball,’ a fantastic roller. Awesome mix right there, and just right to start one last build up before closing it off with ‘Goes Around,’ which is was excellent choice.

Most of these tracks I’ve never heard, though I do recognize some of the artists. It’s a style of drum and bass I don’t particularly explore, thus, the mix was very informative and a good overview of the rollers with punchier basslines. I definitely enjoyed the builds and release (with vocal tunes), which is a standard approach for crowd control at a party. I counted about 3-4 plateaus which is a good number due to the amount of tracks played and time. The hour passed on quite fast, and I didn’t feel as if the mix was dragging along trying too hard to establish plateaus. I can tell this mix was crafted carefully outside of the alphabetical order.

The Numerical mix must’ve been a bustling effort, ‘Close to Zero’ was indeed new to the ears, and the percussion was on-key with the 5-note bassline. ‘One Chance’ adds even more of an expressive element, bringing the mix immediately in to rough-house territory up until the breakdown, doing short work ‘3 in 1.’ EQ’n probably needs a little work here, the volume (at least after the opener, and being just 6 minutes in) sounds a little low. Smashing mix in to ‘4th floor,’ and an absolutely wicked transition in to ‘5th floor.’ Liking the energy there, and at that point, the mix feels renewed and fresh; this is probably my favorite point of the mix. Overall, both mixes were properly done, man. I got a good feel of what you were attempting to do, and it definitely shows in the mixes. As noted, my only small criticism would be the EQ / gain effort, but seeing that the average track in the alphabetical mix lasted about 2.5 mins per track, I know how difficult it can be to micro-manage everything. Overall good work man, enjoyed the new sounds and looking forward to your next project.

:rslayer:

fuck mate how clean is the alphabetical mix? just finished listening, admittedly prefer the more minimal deeper bits as opposed to the more tech aligned stuff here but it's exactly the sort of music i'd wanna hear on a big system. as has been said before the idea is a really good one, would be good for other members to do something similar, it's a good way of hearing what people's tastes are like. was great hearing keep it low, worked great off the back of perception in particular. and the opening blend is so tight, sets the rest up perfectly. on to the numerical one!

Thanks for having a listen & you compliments Jack! I like the minimal dnb more too, but that stuff doesn't get released nearly as regularly as the techy / rolling / main field dnb tunes. Its nice to include tunes that have been sat in the stack in mixes, otherwise they sit there & don't get played for months on end + variety is the spice of life & wanted to create something that wasn't focusing on minimal tunes, after the first 3 B&B episodes. The challenge is there, if anyone else wanted to have a go at something similar. I did pose the idea about the Deep Colabs mix out there if anyone wanted to accept, but there were no takers. Cheers for the last bit too.... wanted the first mix to be nice to pave the way for the rest.

RANDOM idea for a mix that is man haha! tracklist's looking large though, gunna download it and put it on my mp3 playa. will feedback later!

Nice one Zkinz! Wanted to do something interesting that would appeal to a wider audience. Hit me up with some thoughts when you've have a listen through

on to the numerical one!
Still need to check that one, will get on it today Mark.

Sound J & Stu. Whenever you can. The numerical one is lagging behind with half the amount of listens, but it was the sister project.

The Watcha,

First thing I noticed was the tempo. Not too fast out of the gates, but not exactly too slow to hinder the up-beat flavour, it’s sitting just right. The intro of 'Spitface' was to the point; get the beats rolling before the big bass on ‘Run Off’ to establish the first tone of the set. Might have liked a more involved opener, but it’s a tiny critique. ‘Tru Beats’ makes its way nicely, squeezing in between the punchy snare to ‘Sentinel,’ which was nicely EQ’ed as to not overpower the previous track to set up a short filler and transition track in ‘Network,’ which at this point, (and mind you, only 10:00 minutes in), the set has already felt entirely different than the opening salvo. At around 11:30, the volume fades down a bit, to begin the nicely mixed ‘Foreign Concept’ (if I am not entirely too lost at this point). The vocals come on a little loud, but I completely understand the rising action concept here. Great mix.

Following the vocal one-liners ‘My Soul’ in to ‘Crumbled’ starts a reoccurring theme of tracks with punchy drums and bass followed by vocal tracks in between. Gives it a nice elevator effect, but at this point (18:19), the loudness of the incoming track is noticeable, but not too bad. Digging the transition from ‘Cold Revenge’ >> ‘Patience’ >> ‘Perception’ to form mini-themed string of darker edged sounds through ‘Keep it Low’ and to finally release the build up in to ‘The Touch,’ which was nicely mixed with the soft vocals. Sharper snares fillers and bass sets up the next rise. ‘Paperboy’ >> ‘Waterboard’ is a very good mix, filling in that snap snare quite nicely. Digging the energy here and keeping the consistency the same until Q-Project’s ‘Safety Clause,’ which is a nice throwback classic. Getting out of this tune can be rather difficult, because even if on-beat, there’s lots of sounds going on being quite noticeable (45:45). With a little tighter gain control here, the energy is picked up quite well heading in to ‘8-ball,’ a fantastic roller. Awesome mix right there, and just right to start one last build up before closing it off with ‘Goes Around,’ which is was excellent choice.

Most of these tracks I’ve never heard, though I do recognize some of the artists. It’s a style of drum and bass I don’t particularly explore, thus, the mix was very informative and a good overview of the rollers with punchier basslines. I definitely enjoyed the builds and release (with vocal tunes), which is a standard approach for crowd control at a party. I counted about 3-4 plateaus which is a good number due to the amount of tracks played and time. The hour passed on quite fast, and I didn’t feel as if the mix was dragging along trying too hard to establish plateaus. I can tell this mix was crafted carefully outside of the alphabetical order.

The Numerical mix must’ve been a bustling effort, ‘Close to Zero’ was indeed new to the ears, and the percussion was on-key with the 5-note bassline. ‘One Chance’ adds even more of an expressive element, bringing the mix immediately in to rough-house territory up until the breakdown, doing short work ‘3 in 1.’ EQ’n probably needs a little work here, the volume (at least after the opener, and being just 6 minutes in) sounds a little low. Smashing mix in to ‘4th floor,’ and an absolutely wicked transition in to ‘5th floor.’ Liking the energy there, and at that point, the mix feels renewed and fresh; this is probably my favorite point of the mix. Overall, both mixes were properly done, man. I got a good feel of what you were attempting to do, and it definitely shows in the mixes. As noted, my only small criticism would be the EQ / gain effort, but seeing that the average track in the alphabetical mix lasted about 2.5 mins per track, I know how difficult it can be to micro-manage everything. Overall good work man, enjoyed the new sounds and looking forward to your next project.
:rslayer:

Wah Deploy! ^^^ Some hench feedback man! Good to see more and more heads getting involved in the in depth thoughts :)

Nice one on noticing the tempo. It is something that I have paid attention to in the last year, as I used to mix fast compared to when I mixed with friends. Finding the right speed to start a mix off obviously sets the pace of the mix, but if the pitch does creep up through the ride, it shouldn't be majorly noticeable by the end. Glad you were feeling Spitface - Run Off - Tru Beat - Sentinel & how I was trying to set the flavour of the mix, before delving into things from Network onwards.

'Vocal one liners' - I like that + I hadn't noticed the reoccurring theme with the punchy drums & vocal tunes. Must have been something subliminal, but hopefully it worked. Also, fair play for mentioning the Cold Revenge - Patience - Perception - Keep It Low - The Touch section that you liked + Paperboy - Waterboard. Your right that The Touch does mellow out the menacing darker edged sounds that the previous 4 tunes had brought to the mix. Again, something that I wasn't intentionally going for, but pleased that is something that is additionally in there :) + Paperboy - Waterboard was really pleasing to mix. Wanted something dj friendly of Nymfo's to go well with the rugged beat of Waterboard.

Sounds strange, but I was going to go for a lesser known artist for T, until Total Science sprung to mind & even then, I was struggling to find something to sit well between Spinline & Ulterior Motive, as alot of TS's stuff is verging on jump up. 8 Ball rolls nicely, so it was in. Plus, it was either Goes Around or Harms Way & Goes Around seemed to be a pleasant way to round off the mix.

I see what you mean about the plateaus'. Never heard anyone use that word before, but I take it you mean taking a mix in a different direction. Again, some of this happened subconsciously, apart from after Sentinel, but pleased that you mentioned it, as it is something else that can be built into mixes. Plus, both mixes were carefully crafted to get them to flow as well as possible, within the constraints of the selection, as well as picking a tune you like from each particular artist/s.

Pleased you had a listen to the numerical one as well :) + that you liked a couple of the blends at the start and in the middle (4th to 5th Floor). Also nice that I can open your eyes to tunes in both mixes that you might not normally have listened to.

As mentioned is some follow up words to previous replies, I find the EQing probably the hardest thing when mixing, and realise that a particular tune is bassy or needs more high end when the tune is nearly in or when it is in, or when listening back to the mix, which I know I need to work on. Definitely need to do some homework on that. Thanks for your comments & compliments man!

Next project is near on complete & actually discovered it when getting the Alphabetical mix together. All will be reviled in the next month or so ;)

Last edited:
Silent Witness & Break - Close To Zero (DNAudio) haven't heard this before, nice to start with! I like the way you mixed into...
Enei - One Chance (Critical) huge tune! Sounding nice so far! I like the way they both cut at the same time after 16 bars.
Skeptical - Catch 22 (Ingredients) another Percy. This is my most rinsed tune on that EP. Nice mix!
Spirit - 3 in 1 (Need For Mirrors rmx) (Inneractive Music) haven't heard this before, liking the vibe on this one. Vibey mix!
JoJoe - 4th Floor (Alignment) haven heard this either! I'm slacking! Nice tune. Can't fault the mixing either!
dBridge - 5th Floor (Exit Recordings) when this came in! Oh lawd! Love love love this tune! Definitely going in my next mix!
Total Science - Defcom 69 (Metalheadz Platinum) oh lord! Wicked tune! SWIIIITCH! Selection is fucking gully man. Mad props!
Octane & DRL - Seven (Dispatch) forgot about this tune! What a nice reminder! Sick mix man! Full of energy!
Alix Perez - State 808 (Shogun Audio) one of my favourite Perez tunes! Wicked mix! Gully gully gully
Ulterior Motive - 2098 (Subtitles) love how this dropped. Yet another Percy!
Zero G - 10 Times (Finn People) haven't heard this before. Big tune!

I love the idea of this mix and on paper it looks sick. But when you hear it it's even better. Selection was really on point and you get extra brownie points cos of the limitations you set. Mixing was tight as per usual. Big up man.

Silent Witness & Break - Close To Zero (DNAudio) haven't heard this before, nice to start with! I like the way you mixed into...
Enei - One Chance (Critical) huge tune! Sounding nice so far! I like the way they both cut at the same time after 16 bars.
Skeptical - Catch 22 (Ingredients) another Percy. This is my most rinsed tune on that EP. Nice mix!
Spirit - 3 in 1 (Need For Mirrors rmx) (Inneractive Music) haven't heard this before, liking the vibe on this one. Vibey mix!
JoJoe - 4th Floor (Alignment) haven heard this either! I'm slacking! Nice tune. Can't fault the mixing either!
dBridge - 5th Floor (Exit Recordings) when this came in! Oh lawd! Love love love this tune! Definitely going in my next mix!
Total Science - Defcom 69 (Metalheadz Platinum) oh lord! Wicked tune! SWIIIITCH! Selection is fucking gully man. Mad props!
Octane & DRL - Seven (Dispatch) forgot about this tune! What a nice reminder! Sick mix man! Full of energy!
Alix Perez - State 808 (Shogun Audio) one of my favourite Perez tunes! Wicked mix! Gully gully gully
Ulterior Motive - 2098 (Subtitles) love how this dropped. Yet another Percy!
Zero G - 10 Times (Finn People) haven't heard this before. Big tune!

I love the idea of this mix and on paper it looks sick. But when you hear it it's even better. Selection was really on point and you get extra brownie points cos of the limitations you set. Mixing was tight as per usual. Big up man.

Thanks for listening Dan! The numerical one is lagging a bit. Pleased I could open your ears to a few new tunes & remind you of an old one. Nice one for your compliments throughout & at the end. Much appreciated :) your too kind

just finished the numerical one, the better of the two in my opinion! has a real energy in this one, mixing immaculate as always. loved the blends either side of catch 22, and the way you brought it back in once 3 in 1 had taken over, such a ridiculous roller. defcom 69 > seven was wicked too, had never heard the former before, nasty little tune...

who knows what crazy scheme you've got cooking up for next time, Rifine's 'Track titles with no consonants' mix or something :D

just finished the numerical one, the better of the two in my opinion! has a real energy in this one, mixing immaculate as always. loved the blends either side of catch 22, and the way you brought it back in once 3 in 1 had taken over, such a ridiculous roller. defcom 69 > seven was wicked too, had never heard the former before, nasty little tune...

who knows what crazy scheme you've got cooking up for next time, Rifine's 'Track titles with no consonants' mix or something :D

Hahahahaha! :D that last bit made me laugh man. All I will say is that it is something that relates to letters & the tracklist is complete ;) Just need to let these mixes air for a while longer

Thanks for listening & your compliments Jack! Was falling behind compared to the alphabetical mix.
Yeh, I liked this one a little more as it is more energetic, as you mentioned. Surprised you had not heard Defcom 69 before. Stu said he hadn't heard Safety Clause before in the alphabetical mix. Possibly different tastes at the time or different era of dnb.

Ez

Dude. I will get round to both of these, they look awesome and I'm partial to someone doing something a bit different to your standard mix.
Big ups. Will drop you some thought/feedback soon buddy.

Dude. I will get round to both of these, they look awesome and I'm partial to someone doing something a bit different to your standard mix. Big ups. Will drop you some thought/feedback soon buddy.

Nice one man! I owe you loads of listens for your mixes as I think you have listened to all / most of mine that I have put on here

since everyone here smashed the feedback so hardly i'm just going to say 2 typical top notch mixes from yourself watcha. crazy idea using numbers and alphabetical letters and still manage to work it out so well. you know your tunes sir

since everyone here smashed the feedback so hardly i'm just going to say 2 typical top notch mixes from yourself watcha. crazy idea using numbers and alphabetical letters and still manage to work it out so well. you know your tunes sir

Nice one Wingz for listening & jotting a brief round up. Thanks for the compliment! All about the crazy ideas :D but will drop a standard mix in the not too distant future..... after what I have planned for the next mix ;)

Back
Top Bottom