"riding the pitch"

djstrategy

just been working on a few new things.............. and have started to "ride the pitch" ie not touching the platter or record to speed or slow down the track, moving the pitch insted

just wondering how many of you also do this

I used to think it was really weird watching deejays do this!

When I first tried mixing this way, it was less than pretty!

But the more ya practise it, the easier it becomes.... so now a day I use a combination of both styles..

Which ever works best for you i guess :)

Pitch chasing can be difficult at first, if not having the trained ear to separate the two tracks in Headphones, you'll be all over the place.
With time being multi-talented w/touching vinyl,platter,or chasing by pitch control, it's all about Blendin'

L8

yer takes a bit of time...............i much prefer to touch the platter.............. but as u say in some cases it depends wot is needed......... a little touch of the platter or ride the pitch

It takes me longer to match beats when i do this. I can match em' lot quicker if i touch the plate. :zest:

this is a really good idea when you're mixing tunes with lots of melody or synth washes, as touching the platter makes that bending sound that is no good.
everyone needs to know how to manipulate the platter though. I learnt to mix by riding the pitch

I know that some pros like Andy C using that but personaly don't like it. Its really strange in action. Still prefer touching the plate.

seen.................. im the same i like to touch the platter and the ride pitch to keep the track from clanging
at the end of the day....its wot u feel comfortable and can mix best with innit

It takes a bit of time and practice to learn, but if you learn to adjust the speed of the record using just the pitch it will definately take your mixing to the next level. My mixing has become a lot smoother after I learned to pitch chase....it's still very tempting touch the platter and I still do it all the time, but for making very small speed adjustments when the beats are just a little out of synch bending the pitch works great.

it's quite usuful for speeding up those records that are slightly bowed, since touching the record/platter on those records can cause a big mess

bowzer said:
it's quite usuful for speeding up those records that are slightly bowed, since touching the record/platter on those records can cause a big mess
Yeah innit just.... or real light records that spin like no-bodies business! (n)

Back
Top Bottom