[ Richie Stix ] - the creature...

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist
okay, so i made this when i got in last nite... and as usual it sounded super phat last nite but now i listen back to it i can hear lots of flaws! thought i'd up it anyway, get some feedback!

not really sure where to go with the drums (once they have been beefed up, still wimpy wimpy at the mo!), was hoping for some advice?

http://soundcloud.com/richie_stix

(y)

drums are sounding reasonably fat already bro!!

feeling the background pads as well and the samples are sick.... bass was a letdown for me, was a bit too loud and didnt really sound right, my suggestion is that the beat needs filling out with some rollins hi hats and such!!

drums are sounding reasonably fat already bro!!

feeling the background pads as well and the samples are sick.... bass was a letdown for me, was a bit too loud and didnt really sound right, my suggestion is that the beat needs filling out with some rollins hi hats and such!!

cheers mate... good news about the drums!

um, the bassline was made late on cans... so sounded great on them but not so this morning! going to re-address the bassline issues this evening... i used the patch from http://soundcloud.com/richie_stix/richie-stix-gusset-gravy for that d-minds style sound, but obviously ruined it last nite! :D

You already know what I think, I dont even have to type it....

sweet... and judging by the time you wrote that, it must have been the first draft!

new version up now ;)

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

right, comments all taken on board... drums even more beefy now (well chuffed with them, hope they sound good your guys end!) and with more hi-end elements!

sorted the bass out i think, but possibly would like it louder, think i took it down too much!?

http://soundcloud.com/richie_stix/richie-stix-the-creature

(y)

ez man.
i like the synth. it sounds crisp.. think u could bring it up a tad... u need some effects / something filling out the background of the track after the drop.. it sounds too empty and gets a bit uninteresting due to it.
the drums sound pretty good.. maybe beef em up a touch.. but theyre fine how they are.. have u tried layering them up with some breaks etc to make the track flow better?!
hope this helps

ez man.
i like the synth. it sounds crisp.. think u could bring it up a tad... u need some effects / something filling out the background of the track after the drop.. it sounds too empty and gets a bit uninteresting due to it.
the drums sound pretty good.. maybe beef em up a touch.. but theyre fine how they are.. have u tried layering them up with some breaks etc to make the track flow better?!
hope this helps

all of the above is what i have in mind for the 3rd draft ;)

always add fx last, mainly cos i struggle with it but also because i find it easier once the track has a story and context!

and as for breaks, been struggling to get that djembe loop to fit over the main drop... think i have it figured now!

imho the snare is good as it is, found it a bit odd at the beginning, but once the bass kicks in its nice. the kick could need some beefing up imho, id go for a shorter, snappier one.

bass needs some more highend imho, some "sparkle", and some breaks on top would be nice for a changeup. with that bass, id try some halfstep parts for a drumvariation aswell.but apart from that and the things mentioned above, i thought it was fat :D

nice one

i thought the kick was quite snappy... hmm, maybe me? going for a new skool drum sound, trying to get a sound like hazards new bits (as vague too) crossed with recluse and cue?

your right groelle about the 'high end sparkle', cos at the moment it's low passed arounf 250-300hz to give it the grove, will probably add a band passed layer over the top for sparkle then?

safe guys, appreciate all the comments!

Bass came in quite hefty man

drums are pretty good i think they would benefit from maybe a couple more layers though

It definately needs some more fx, atmosphere and such around it to accompany it

Maybe another bass stab working in once in a while to ditract from the main one

Good hook there though man :)

Bass came in quite hefty man

drums are pretty good i think they would benefit from maybe a couple more layers though

It definately needs some more fx, atmosphere and such around it to accompany it

Maybe another bass stab working in once in a while to ditract from the main one

Good hook there though man :)

cheers mate... definately need a different stab every so often, possibly a variation of the main bass to, sitch it up!

The bassline/sound is definitely not ground breaking, but it's also pretty solid for me. Good work for sure.

that may be true... but i've been trying to get this sound for tiiiiiime!

anyway, i love all tunes with this style bass (any old d-minds for example!)!

just realised subprime quoted me in his sig... i now feel like a fully fledged dnbforum member!

anyways, back on topic... i need help deciding on what style fx to go down? two options spring to mind:

1) bleepey, swoopey laser type fx (bit standard) - will these sound like they are 'stapled' on, as they will contrast with the synth?

2) use sounds from the same source as the vox samples, with delay and reverb and ting! - not sure this will be audable over the distorted synth?

opinions?

i just had a second listen and i thought you should combine those 2. deffo do some sweeps and risers for the start, laser fx could be good as hi end is missing. maybe just bring some more hats in for a change? or even chop up a break and put it at the end of every 16th bar or something?

just do what you think could be nice.

i just had a second listen and i thought you should combine those 2. deffo do some sweeps and risers for the start, laser fx could be good as hi end is missing. maybe just bring some more hats in for a change? or even chop up a break and put it at the end of every 16th bar or something?

just do what you think could be nice.

ah groelle... you're some kind of mind reader! was going to use some wicked heavy heavy amen break for 2 bars at the end of certain sections... have the bassline lfo set to 1 rather than 1/4 sort of ting!

and hats, going to add lots more splash to the beat... make it quite steppy?

all sound advice!

just gave that a listen, not my cuppa really but first impression is not much depth to the drum (snare?) sound so it sounded a bit thin/flat to me, the drum pattern(s) don't flow enough for me, sometimes loses the groove but quickly back in , maybe the fills are too intense ?! Mixdown could do with some refining as i`m sure i can here some percission/hats very low which could be turned up !? Anyway, sounding decent enough but not something that i`m feelin'

I still like this but I'm not 100% sure. It sounds a bit ....subdued? Like a bit too squashed/flat. Shit, I don't know...it might sound great on a system.

Anyway, gave me another chance to listen to C.N reptile. Nice. Actually, that might illustrate my point. Tis a lot more dynamic no?

Back
Top Bottom