[ richie stix ] - reefer madness

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist
Something i'm working on, still only done the 1st half and have fx and stuff to add yet but was wondering how its sounding to everyone else?

(y)

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

by the way, the track is available if you follow the link... SC being gay for some reason

**EDIT** new version added (y)

Last edited:
At first I was like wut with the beat, but it worked and definitely gives the track some personal touch. The snare seems al ittle dry and through the track needs some more shiftups about it maybe, but mainly it sounds dry.
The drop sort of came out of nowhere. The rest is alright :)

Think you need to alter the snare, its a bit tinny. You need to add some beef to it. The drums took some getting use to at 1st, but once the break was added then it glued it together a bit more :)
Im not so keen on the lengthy sample about weed at the start, just feel that kinda thing has been done 100000000's of times before.
When the drop kicks in I think you should vary the kick, snare, kick, snare just to keep people interested on all parts of the tune. I like the wobbly bits and that kinda airy pad you got over some parts.

snare is over-powering everything i think, needs more punch and a little less tail (agree with tounge flap, get the tinnynes under control too), a little honkyness in the bassline making it a little less fat than it could be, i'm not a fan of that style of bassline personally, i think it needs to vary more, sort those things and i recon this will be pretty damn fat... should say, i'm being picky and harsh coz you know pretty much know what your doing and anything less aint much use to you now i think, keep it up!

Don't think the drums are too bad tbh, I quite like them. You could have one hat hitting on the offbeat for the first 16 maybe?..? (weren't you having trouble with kicks for a while? seems like it's sorted now if it was you)
Over-all sounds pretty good so far, and I know there's no bells and whistles yet, it just seems it's going to be a solid but fairly bog standard track. See what you can inject into it to make it stand out a bit.

Nice one.

a little honkyness in the bassline making it a little less fat than it could be,

racist?

only kiddin, thanks for the input! but what do you mean 'honkeyness', possibly the high res i have on the filter?

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

Don't think the drums are too bad tbh, I quite like them. You could have one hat hitting on the offbeat for the first 16 maybe?..? (weren't you having trouble with kicks for a while? seems like it's sorted now if it was you)
Over-all sounds pretty good so far, and I know there's no bells and whistles yet, it just seems it's going to be a solid but fairly bog standard track. See what you can inject into it to make it stand out a bit.

Nice one.

not sure if it is me you are refering to specifically... but yeah i was having trouble with the kicks a few months back, so thanks for the kind words :D And your right, it definately doesnt have all the bells and wistles yet, or a decent intro... just sorta threw it together!

as far as the snare goes, it is supposed to be a bit on the metallic side, trying to use a different sound than the standard jump up snare.

Last edited:
sry rubbish explanation lol check around 2-300hz, spikes there resonant further up aswell, can hold compression back allot and gives the 'honkyness'

likin this mate agree with people on the beat tho takes a bit of gettin used to and sort that snare!
look forward to hearin the finished version.

likin this mate agree with people on the beat tho takes a bit of gettin used to and sort that snare!
look forward to hearin the finished version.

am i the only one who likes the snare?

i remember having a disagreement about the odd beat in the begining of gusset gravy (see tune in my sig)... personally, i was going for it being odd and dissasocaited and then glueing together with the rest of the beats ;)

the snare is great, just needs to be controlled a little more so it doesnt interfer with the other stuff going on, at the moment the tail and tinnyness are just a little too over powering, easily solved tho, gentle compression and a little eq

If you've got a reason for leaving things the way they are, do it, then make a V.I.P version.
Gotta try some different things sometimes for sure. I had no problem with the snare.

this is a really nice track man, but the snare is just a bit too flat. i would say it needs to be a bit shorter and have a stronger attack

ez rich, right i do like the snare.. however. its definately not got enuff punch under neath it. you need to add an underlying snare track with a more low end snare sitting underneath the main metal snare.
Anyways.... fucking love this tune man, have u sent it out to any labels. the bassline is quality, i love the womp sound that ur using. Nice work man.

ez rich, right i do like the snare.. however. its definately not got enuff punch under neath it. you need to add an underlying snare track with a more low end snare sitting underneath the main metal snare.
Anyways.... fucking love this tune man, have u sent it out to any labels. the bassline is quality, i love the womp sound that ur using. Nice work man.

nah, aint sent it anyone yet.... since you listened to it i think i've sorted the snare out! thanks for the kind words though man! (y)

Back
Top Bottom