[ richie stix ] - pleasure... minimal/jump up

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist

okay, so on friday i managed to knock this together and im well chuffed with the bassline so far and tbf some of the drum work too. (wicked amenz on the second drop but that aint in this preview)...

but the drum pattern is mega gay, and i tried making a minimal clappy snare, but that sounded shit, so i beefed it up (as heard here) and still dont like it!

basicly, what im asking is help in making the drums... i want them to build up, so first drop not much more than snare kick and few hats... then slowly introduce more elements.

tongue flap pointed out to me the drums are a bit stuccato, so hepl with that would be appreciated

(y)

Last edited:
Thats a nice track bro, see what you mean about the bassline.

It reminds me alot of taxmas 'the rebate' - one of my favourite tracks off all time.

Personally, I would just go for a busier drum pattern, really get that tune rolling. The bassline in my view deserves it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for the drums, bring them in with a 4/4 hi hat. build them up on the drop with a ride or two. then add some percussion on some of the transitions, perhaps bring in an amen here and there to end the a bar. try making a stereo group, and sending some of the audio from the drums too it. add a nice verb, maybe a tiny but of delay and hi pass the whole group.

I think for the drums, bring them in with a 4/4 hi hat. build them up on the drop with a ride or two. then add some percussion on some of the transitions, perhaps bring in an amen here and there to end the a bar. try making a stereo group, and sending some of the audio from the drums too it. add a nice verb, maybe a tiny but of delay and hi pass the whole group.

cheers guy, more comments like this appreciated! really have no idea what to do for minimal beats... and a fair few peeps on here seem to have it cracked! :D

nice style. i like that, but the beat is too empty when the bass kicks it it needs atleast a consistant high hat to march it through Imo,

i actually think just give the beat some moar groove, some syncopated little percussions or something and mayb fuck around with shakers or something? idk.

Another thing i have found that brings minimal drums to life is just simply adding a different snare sound to each hit over 2 - 4 bars. keeping the low end of the snare the same but a different hit/clap for the high end.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

gets the beat moving imo

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

don't spose you could let me in on how you made that b-line a lil bit could you? love that style of sound

Another thing i have found that brings minimal drums to life is just simply adding a different snare sound to each hit over 2 - 4 bars. keeping the low end of the snare the same but a different hit/clap for the high end.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

gets the beat moving imo

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

don't spose you could let me in on how you made that b-line a lil bit could you? love that style of sound

several clues... simple wave form, medium lfo, touch resonanance... so simple i surprised my self!

Last edited:
im not keen in the drops in octave of the b-line tbh, i think you could do something to keep it interesting than that... maybe a mid synth in the small gaps or increasing the LFO, stretching out a note. as for the drums maybe just a bit of shuffle, the steppness isn't too bad imo

im not keen in the drops in octave of the b-line tbh, i think you could do something to keep it interesting than that... maybe a mid synth in the small gaps or increasing the LFO, stretching out a note. as for the drums maybe just a bit of shuffle, the steppness isn't too bad imo

spanks bruv

oh by the by, its not an octave change... thats an audio illusion! just a different wave!

what i cant decide is if to keep the drums minimal or hench em out and go steppy!?

i don't really feel comfortable giving you criticism man... so i'm just gonna go ahead and say: big fucking bass. it makes my stomach turn. n1

bump... tried working on these drums last night, went for a minimal jungle vibe, but im still not feeling it! sooooo, whatcha saying steppy and hench or minimal and sparse?

bass is sounding big man likin that
i quite the drums the way they are now quite simple an bits of perc here an there
likin all the fx an eery bits sounds cool
overall soundin good mate but i recon it need a few more bits to keep me interested or some kind of switchup maybe?? i dunno:teeth:

bass is sounding big man likin that
i quite the drums the way they are now quite simple an bits of perc here an there
likin all the fx an eery bits sounds cool
overall soundin good mate but i recon it need a few more bits to keep me interested or some kind of switchup maybe?? i dunno:teeth:

lol, safe man... any tips on making good minimal drums for jump up?

bosh... re-worked the drums quite a bit since the last time i posted... lemme know what you think!?

on the second drop, i have the stuttery break playing a full on 2 bar loop of breakage... jungalistical like (y)

Back
Top Bottom