Richie Stix // Broken Dolls - WIP

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist
Richie Stix // Broken Dolls - reworked

broken dolls

easy all... latest bit I'm currently working on and as usual i thought i shuold get some advice from you fine people before i go to much further!

My main areas for concern are:
- kick is weak and limp - working on this, seems to be a problem with all my tracks
- snare needed to be compressed a lot, is it too much?
- how does the synth and sub sit in the mix?

:not_worth:

Last edited:
Pretty sick man. Needs another bass sound, maybe even two in there but you probably already figure that. Anyways you could try playin with a high shelf on the bass you have now. I find it's great to have highs in the bass but it sounds so much meaner when they're a lot quieter than the low mids.

Also for the kick just cut the lows <60-80 and get some compression on that bad boy. Carve the 100 out of the bass. Needs to hit like a fist to the kidney. Snares fine m8.

Take all my comments with a pinch of salt though cos wtf do I know.

Pretty sick man. Needs another bass sound, maybe even two in there but you probably already figure that.
where do you mean this bass to go? another variation of the 2nd bar bit or just switching bits up?

Also for the kick just cut the lows <60-80 and get some compression on that bad boy. Carve the 100 out of the bass. Needs to hit like a fist to the kidney. Snares fine m8.

thats what i have done to this kick... still no joy! it appears to be my achillies heal?

where do you mean this bass to go? another variation of the 2nd bar bit or just switching bits up?

Up to you. You could have a different bass sound with different harmonics doing the same bassline or you could jsut switch up the actual bassline itself. It shouldn't stay exactly the same for mroe than 16 bars really.

thats what i have done to this kick... still no joy! it appears to be my achillies heal?

IDK man maybe you're bein too cautious, compress it some more. Squeezer that bastard to death. Making it a tiny bit shorter might help if its got a long tail.

kick definately needs weight adding to it, sounds weak.,. snare sounds alright although maybe layer a heavier hit with it to give it a bit more impact, sounds alright though.
bassline is not bad, im not too fond of the "wohhh wohhhhhh wom wawawa".
I just think it would sound better it you make it come through like more of a low growl. not bad at all tho man!

kick definately needs weight adding to it, sounds weak.,. snare sounds alright although maybe layer a heavier hit with it to give it a bit more impact, sounds alright though.
bassline is not bad, im not too fond of the "wohhh wohhhhhh wom wawawa".
I just think it would sound better it you make it come through like more of a low growl. not bad at all tho man!

cheers dude...comments taken on board ;)

first, the photo is certainly creepy.

the track sounds nice, but yeah, the kick is weak. and kinda the snare too. how much of this is already bounced (drum loops and such)? can the kick just be replaced? if you had a good kick, you could then put a copy into another track, filter a few frequencies from the top and bottom, drop the volume a bit and add it as another layer to the snare. then i think this could be a real bruiser.

Ohhh Richie Richie Richie..............I absolutely love your basslines, every track you make I just know before I even hear it what sort of bass is gonna drop, and it never, and I mean never dissappoints me! I've tried soooo hard to replicate this type of sound, I can get near to it, but never quite as dirty and gritty as you make it sound!

I'd suggest with the drums simply layering up two or three snares, and seperately EQing them, taking the hi from one, low from another and mid from the third! also, shorten the tails on them, and put a very small reverb on the mid snare (and I do mean small). Kicks, layer up a couple of kicks, and again EQ seperately to help give some weight.

fat tune mate-bassline is fukkin wicked absolutely luvvin it.mayb with the kik if ur alreddy hipassin n compressin n it aint beefin up like it shud mayb try a diffrent kik sample or u mite be overcompresisin the 1 u got or mayb frequencies from ur drumz r conflictin with the bass. get them drumz a bit fatter mate n this is a fukkin banger fair play!

cheers for all the comments guys... making this on a compurter with 1.25G of ram only and on a sony hifi (same with all my tunes)! so the mixdown is the hardpart, so appreciate hearing how this sounds on peoples systems.

think i got the kick sorted (well better, at least)... switched up the sample. going to work on the snares next, it's 3 layered up but i think i need to EQ them seperately like fletch said

for those that are interested... http://www.everywheremag.com/places/5452 a link to info about the picture for the track ;)

and finally, a reworked version up on the sound cloud... bassline taken to next level! broken dolls // reworked

Cool man.

The drop is a bit sudden.

To me the mixdown is alright, nothing stands out in a bad way.

But if you're still worried about the kick, try the simplest method, push it louder! It's only possible if you have your mixdowns quiet enough to begin with. That way you don't have to turn something else down to avoid clipping. I don't know if this is the case, but I had an epiphany a few years back - dont be afraid to set things considerably louder. THE FADER IS YOUR FRIEND.

Nice track all in all, I like that bass (but i agree that it could use some fresh edits as well).

The drop is a bit sudden..

not the first time this has been said of one of my tracks? hmm...

try the simplest method, push it louder! It's only possible if you have your mixdowns quiet enough to begin with. .

i too had this epiphany a while ago, but still no epiphany on how to add more 'weight'...

Nice track all in all, I like that bass (but i agree that it could use some fresh edits as well).

what do you mean 'fresh edit', as in a bit more variation... car to elaborate?

safe richie-chekd the re-edit a bit earlier n soundin fat mate-defo improvement on the kik but 4 me bruv 2 get more weight i still think u need a diffrent source sample 4 the kik-try find 1 that is already quite beefy/punchy just as it is n then wen u eq n compress u shud be able to get it nice n chunky n crisp.jus a possibility :)
basses r just amazin 4 me!

good tune the sounds are great drums could use a bit of touch tune has good flow and great energy over all great work just the drums could use some punch as stated above

cheers peeps... getting fatter kicks seems to be the bane of my life! it's a problem i'm having with ableton, when i put in a phat drum sample to the drum rack it comes out weaker? working on that issue for all my tracks...

so take it ur doin ur drumz in midi at the mo-wen i 1st started on cubase i dun drumz in battery n always had the same problem(samps wud lose bit of power) then i started doin all drumz in audio n noticed the difrence immediately-it mite take longer but in my opinion is well worth it.giv audio channels a try mate :)

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

n btw each n every re-edit uv dun on this tune sounds better-so big-upz on ur persistence wiv this :)

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

n btw each n every re-edit uv dun on this tune sounds better-so big-upz on ur persistence wiv this :)

Yeah its definately sounding better. If your interested ive got a nice sample pack thats got some pretty heavy hitting kicks in it. Posted it up ages ago but if you want a copy I can always zip it up and send it your way. Its got some nice bongos/ shakers/ stabs etc in it too.

Back
Top Bottom