Rice & Peas ...

EWOKS

POTATOES GONNA POTATE
VIP Junglist
now ive heard this term for a recipe a few times now, either with Jamaican pork jerk or a Carrabean dish..

i knew a lad from Zimbabwe, said his mum made the best rice and peas and these amazing meatball things.. i tried the meatballs, fuckin amazing, no idea what they were as i was young, but they were special, his house just smelled of spices all day long.. and a spice cupbaord to wank over..

but im thinking, surely .. its not just plain rice, with peas in it...

and i cant find a normal recipe..

so ...

anyone ?? im guessing moskit and his family no the answer , and yes, im being extremely racist and judgemental.. Moskit... rice & peas .... discuss .

Moskit

:rodigan:
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Based on 3 people eating big portions - 2 cups Rice, one tin of Peas

You need Gungo Peas, Coconut Milk & Spring Onion ends...

Cook the rice in water, butter & salt until al dente.

At the same time boil the gungo peas in salted water sameway.

Drain both, then add a 1/4 tin of coconut milk to a pan with the spring onion ends & boil with another knob of butter.

Add the rice, then the peas, stir on the heat for 2 min, take off the heat & leave the lid on for 5 min or so until rice has absorbed remaining liquid.

Authentic Jamaican Rice & Peas.

Done.

BoudiCat

SERIAY.
VIP Junglist
Don't substitute for Kidney Beans before you ask, they break up & make the rice stodgy & pink.
Basically this. People seem to think that the peas are what they call garden peas in Barbados (ie green peas) but they're not, they're kidney beans. And the lovely red pulpy ness in peas & rice comes from them

Lunos

VIP Junglist
Based on 3 people eating big portions - 2 cups Rice, one tin of Peas

You need Gungo Peas, Coconut Milk & Spring Onion ends...

Cook the rice in water, butter & salt until al dente.

At the same time boil the gungo peas in salted water sameway.

Drain both, then add a 1/4 tin of coconut milk to a pan with the spring onion ends & boil with another knob of butter.

Add the rice, then the peas, stir on the heat for 2 min, take off the heat & leave the lid on for 5 min or so until rice has absorbed remaining liquid.

Authentic Jamaican Rice & Peas.

Done.
:not_worth

big selek

Moskit

:rodigan:
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
I've yet to experience goat. What's it taste like? Is it like lamb?
Its like a cross between Beef & Chicken I reckon, some people do liken it to Lamb, I don't like Lamb personally, but fucking love Goat, eat it at least once a week...

You gotta cook it long & slow though & be prepared for bones & grisly bits. :)

Gloxxy

I SNORT COAL
VIP Junglist
Its like a cross between Beef & Chicken I reckon, some people do liken it to Lamb, I don't like Lamb personally, but fucking love Goat, eat it at least once a week...

You gotta cook it long & slow though & be prepared for bones & grisly bits. :)
Yeah I'd say its more like beef in texture. Not like a steak but like a slow cooked joint. That flaky meat texture.