Rewinds & Double Drops

Fluff

VIP Junglist
Obviously in the D&B scene rewinding a tune is because its caused a big crowd reaction. I've always been puzzled by DJs who then mix the next track in almost immediately so the crowd probably hears less of the track than if it hadn't been rewound. There is also the rewinding of tunes double dropped when it is clearly the classic track that has hyped the crowd yet its the other track that gets played again.

It's been something I've pondered for sometime and felt like seeing what others thought?

To be honest I hate rewinds. Completely ruins a set, and it's like the DJ has to start over.

Best example I have is Chris Blu Mar Ten who played in Auckland recently. He played a perfect flowing set, one of the best I have heard, and then some fucking cunt who I have no idea why he was on the stage comes up behind him and spins the CDJ back. Chris was visibly pissed off about it and so were we. This retard looking idiot pretty much ruined a great set.

I hope he visits forums and sees this actually.

^ depends on the type of set imo

obviously if its rolling then a rewind doesnt fit in, if its tech or jumpup and some massive dubplate gets double dropped and the whole place goes mental then the rewind adds to the vibe.

^ depends on the type of set imo

obviously if its rolling then a rewind doesnt fit in, if its tech or jumpup and some massive dubplate gets double dropped and the whole place goes mental then the rewind adds to the vibe.

i agree also if the mc is any good it does work quite well and you can barely notice it as a rewind rather an "incorporated mixing technique (lol) " and that moment of silence when you just stand still for a second before it starts playing again like you're preparing for battle... love it

Yeah true. I can remember some sets where rewinds worked well. Andy C for New Years a few years ago for example, rewinding Marka about 4 times haha. But yeah, doesn't work for a rolling set, especially with no MC like the BMT one I mentioned.

It depends on your style really. Sometimes if a track gets a big enough response then I'll do it and throw in a quick tease aswell. It's a buzz doing it with your own tunes too

It's all about right place right time right vibe and a double drop rewind = massive mess in the best possible way. Hate to do a stereotypical andy c comment but he is the perfect example of how to do it properly teasing the second track in then double dropping. Then on the rewind doing the opposite of what you say letting you hear more of the classic track than he did the first time before a massive drop and rolling the set on. But yea I've seen plenty of DJ's just annoying rewinding a rolling set every 10 mins when the crowd just wants to keep going.

Too many variables for me to offer an opinion.

Depends on:

Mixing style
Sub-genre style
Whether the second tune brought in after add's to the energy of the original track that was pulled up.

Why do you think you get pretty much no rewinds at a critical night but tonnes at a playaz night? Its all to do with crowds vibes and the style of music.

What pisses me off is that some mc's keep asking "rewind that shit"... And sometimes it looks like the dj reeally doesn't want to do it, but he does it so the MC doesn't look like a retard. Saw Andy C ignoring the MC once, I personally would do the same.

I only rewinded once in my life, and it was like 2 weeks ago with Total Recall - Snowflake. Place went absolutely offff, everyone was screaming and a bunch of mates came to me and said "you gotta rewind that shit".

But yeah, it depends on the kind of music you're playing and the type of crowd

Back
Top Bottom