Review needed please

Busdriver

Hi all,

i'm new to this forum and to D&B producing, i'm posting a link to my first track (not finished at all) and i would like some tips and tricks about it, specially on my drums (should i EQ more on this register etc...).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=985359

I took samples here and there, there is 3 kicks 4 snares and 5 hats/cymbals.
I produced the bass with Massive and added some preset sound from some other virtual synth.

Thanks!

tip for eqing drums... put a high pass filter on everything except the kick and you shouldn't really need to mess with eq too much. just a tweak in the ranges where you think it needs more presence when you come to the final mixdown. that is by no means a golden rule and anyone more established at eqing will give you better advicethan i can but in the early days that should see you right

Thanks a lot Safety. I'll take a look @ that soon.
Did you base your comment on my track or is it a general comment?
if you have any more idea on what can i do to improve my sound i'll take it.

Another question: on another track i did (electro style) some sounds are interfering between themselves on the low register, the problem is that if i put some filter on my kick for example, it sounds like sh*t and if i have a bouncing little lead sound and i filter it in the low field it becomes crappy too, it looses too much punch.
So is there a way to fix things without making compromises like "good kick OR good punchy lead"?

Thanks again!

in all honesty i didn't listen to it, that was just some general advice someone gave me once. with regards to the problems in your other tune, i would say just make sure you only have bass and kicks prominent in the low end, nothing else needs to be there really, another cheeky trick is to pan things slightly to either side, but unfortunately as much as you might like an element of your track you may have to scrap it if it just won't sit in the mix with everything else.

Thanks a lot Safety. I'll take a look @ that soon.
Did you base your comment on my track or is it a general comment?
if you have any more idea on what can i do to improve my sound i'll take it.

Another question: on another track i did (electro style) some sounds are interfering between themselves on the low register, the problem is that if i put some filter on my kick for example, it sounds like sh*t and if i have a bouncing little lead sound and i filter it in the low field it becomes crappy too, it looses too much punch.
So is there a way to fix things without making compromises like "good kick OR good punchy lead"?

Thanks again!

I saw a good video showing exactly how to make this work, I'll get a link.

Thx again Safety, i take note for the pan thing, i'll try it.
Thx for the sidechain compression tip too Delinquent. I saw some vidz on the subject before but my sidechain compression software(Sidechain compressor-Db audioware) don't seem to be so great, or more likely, i don't understand the concept of sidechain compression enough to use it wisely.
The video i saw on the subject was giving an impression of "hide and shown" on the track compressed. For example on every kick the lead fall an hide, if the kick come on every beat the result is an effect i ever heard in techno but not exactly what i'm looking for. But maybe the tutorial i saw aimed at this particular effect and maybe can i do what i'm looking for by sidechain compressing.
Btw i'm gonna take a look at this again.

I'm using Cubase Sx2.

for dnb it being at such a fast tempo you need to leave more room for sub bass cut the kicks so that they round of around 100 hz to 150 hz then simple as layer , eq and compress hope this helps

for dnb it being at such a fast tempo you need to leave more room for sub bass cut the kicks so that they round of around 100 hz to 150 hz then simple as layer , eq and compress hope this helps

Hi,

Sorry for the newb question, but this might actually help the thread starter.

When you said layer, eq and compress: i understand layer and eq and compression, but which instruments are you referring to when you mean 'compress'?

You mean compress each individual percussion instrument or the entire track?

Could you clarify that for me?

Thanks bro!

Hi,

Sorry for the newb question, but this might actually help the thread starter.

When you said layer, eq and compress: i understand layer and eq and compression, but which instruments are you referring to when you mean 'compress'?

You mean compress each individual percussion instrument or the entire track?

Could you clarify that for me?

Thanks bro!

you can compress anything mate.
eg.
Send all the drums to a bus, put a compressor on that bus and then adjust the ratios. There is no right or wrong way to do this, but dont over do the compression or it will sound horrible.

Hello all,

Thx to funkmod Dan and Tflap, i think i need to study a lil' bit more EQ/Compression.
I gonna do that and come back soon.

Thx again

Back
Top Bottom