Reverse engineering this bass sound

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist

From Skrillex's latest EP track called "Bangarang", I've been wondering for days how he does those bass sounds like the one on 1:19 (it's actually throughout the entire tune but at 1:19 it's very clear without that much other instruments). I mean I know how to make phat basses, how to resample them and how to drive them to the max, but the main thing I'm wondering about is how he gets the tonality of that bass like that. Not to sound like a second Skrillex, but since he is one of my biggest inspirations in terms of sound-wise I thought let's reverse engineer this sound and let's see if there are any special tricks to it. Maybe I'm just overseeing things and it might just be some sort of particular waveform that I need.

So this is not about the all known vocal bass from him, it's the one you hear throughout this song and also on the first bass hit on the drop played together with a vocal sample, help please!

Last edited by a moderator:
massive - formant put down a few octaves, layered with an actual formant and a scrapyard or modern talking synth (something that changes quite drastically when you alter the waveform button)

put some phase on it and send it into the filters put on serial, first some bandpass filtering with the same automations as on the waveform and then some lowpassing to make it cleaner.

thats what id do.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/99422090/file.html

first osc is modern talking - lfo on that

second is a formant saw -24, third is a formant with the lfo on the intensity.

then through a bandpass, middle bandwidth, lfo on the cut off

after that through the lowpass, lfo on the cutoff.

adjust lfo to taste and with a little distortion, chorus etc you should be there already. its nothing more than a good "yoy" bass tbh..

oh and btw, inbefore "that doesnt sound like skrillex" - i just spend 2 minutes on massive to demonstrate that these basses are far from hard to make.. with a little tweaking and resampling thats more guide than youd need.. and my actual guess was pretty damn close it seems, haha :D

*edit: forgot to mention the phase which is linked to the modern talking osc, with lfo linked to intensity.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

tbh, i find his actual sounds to be REALLY boring - 2 mins on a synth and youre there. its WAY more his composing that makes or breaks the song..

heres the .ksd for anyone interested. russla asked for that via pm, hadnt saved the project or .ksd so had to recreate and thought i could just share with you all.

http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/14432147/file.html

hf. and arts, hope thats the kinda hint you needed.

edit: just lfo the bandwidth or change the first waveform to give it another edge, try "scrapyard" for instance ;)

Back
Top Bottom