Reverb for dub?

philfyphil

I've been getting into alot of dub recently...that really dark stuff like morphy, flatliners, etc, and are trying to work out how they get that real reverb sound on their drums? I've been trying to do it on my tracks but alway end up flicking through all the presets on my plugins and never really get that proper sound? Has anyone got any tips on how to get them sounding really good and not that dry fake reverb sound?

I'm using lexicon and waves stuff for logic but any ideas for any reverb plugs would be well appreciated!

Thanx

Often they use Plate Reverb, its the oldest form of reverb, lots of plate verb VST's about, dont use it myself so cant recomend any, but thats a good place to start searching in Google

also Echo is incorperated a fair amount, you might want to combine it with a Grain Delay to get that oldskool sound

Togu Audio Line (TAL) have some good plate reverb plugs. Also check out Lowcoder & Bitplant's "King Dubby" plug to add some trippy delay to your productions for maximum dubness :cool:

Also, KVR's plug in database is a great way to quickly search for any type of plugin that you are looking for

i second TAL, it even sounds dubby and the delay has to be automated or it will stay on 100% feedback, hows that for dub. other than that maybe spring reverb impulses with SIR could work

Spring or Plate verbs should do the trick, but if you want "real" reverbs how about using a convolution reverb (like space designer)?

ah sweet thanx gonna look look into TAL...got that king dubby which is cool! ...just been messing around with the lexicon plate reverb which aint too bad!

Reverbs are all about realism...there's plenty about it in BobKatz Mastering Audio - how to calculate real sizes for the illusion of distance, etc. Probably unnecessary though.

Just try a host of different presets, and spend some real time tweaking it. Start with high quality drums too - the effect will reverberate at the same quality as the original source. Try using it on a send channel, EQing the reverb itself...and as a general tip, if you want a reverb to sound good in your mix, try turning it up until you can just make it out, and then turning it down slightly.

these are all just ideas :)

Back
Top Bottom