resampling/multisampling and processing bass

Groovestick

my mate and i have started to get into crafting bass sounds using multisampling techniques.

we have a template for it and it works like this in ableton;

get a decent sound you like in synth of choice (we use massive) and then route it in your sequencer to be recorded to 3 tracks, hi mid and lo. on the tracks, put a multiband eq or some kind of eq to cut the frequencies. so on your bass track, whatever audio is recorded to there, only frequencies from 0-150hz will be left in and do the same for respective frequencies for mids and lows. the advantage of this is that it allows you to effect and process each band of the reese or bass or whatever you are trying to make individually.

i'm sure lots of you know of this technique in some form, it ain't new.

we are however, new to it and we're kinda looking for some tips. we've had some decent results so far but it's hard to get something real awesome.

so far what we've done mainly is get a fat sound in massive and then just effect the mids mainly with ohmicide and other stuff. our main inspiration are noisias huge, tearing basses but obviously they are almost the holy grail in these types of things.

what are your guys experience with this technique? i've heard of the technique of making a "massline" which is like a 4 or 8 bar sequence of just crazy fucked up bass/reese sounds and from there you cut out the pieces you like to use.

how do you guys approach this?

Last edited:
This is actually quite an interesting subject for me, as I too am just getting into the idea of splitting frequncies and resampling. Before hand I used to make all my basses in one synth, and effect it all on one mixer channel, I have been able to get some pretty good sounds in the past, but none like what I'm experiencing now. That being said, I dont actually know what I'm doing lol, it usually happens by mistake! ;)

I've just started in on this too, I'd like some tips.

Like, what kind of things would people recommend you use on the lows, the mids, the highs? I watched a video where the guy said that the bass should be left fairly vanilla, while the Mids and Highs are where you can get more creative. But all I hear in the highs is just quiet, crackling distortion. What are you meant to do with that?

I also don't really have any idea what's up with resampling. From what I gather, you paint a note in your DAW, export the project to a WAV, and then mess around with that sound further? Does this really sometimes result in some strange effects you can't get without resampling like I've heard, or is that just a load of shit and resampling is just for saving CPU?

Does this really sometimes result in some strange effects you can't get without resampling like I've heard, or is that just a load of shit and resampling is just for saving CPU?

I'm pretty sure that all of Noisias basslines are resampled and you can't make that stuff with a synth! I read in an interview that they sampled the sound of carboard being scraped on one of their asses and resampled it, processed the shit out of it and used it as a bassline.

Yeah, I heard that they once sampled the sound of a downs kid grinding its teeth along a blackboard and used it as a reese bass.

I'm also very interested in this subject, i've tried splitting the frequenties but it did'nt give me any results that i wouldn't get from just 1 synth.. Hope someone on this forum can enlighten us on how you exactly 'process' a bassline. yeah lots of resampling but what VST's etc.

Also this comment:
I read in an interview that they sampled the sound of carboard being scraped on one of their asses and resampled it, processed the shit out of it and used it as a bassline.
cracked me up & made me cry at the same time thinking that i could never do sth cool like that.

people check out the dirty basslines echange and how2 thred. gt some good explanations of frequency splitting. with regards to resampling, if u've got a good enough cpu, u can just creat long effects chains, but this does rinse cpu.

Not that I'm an expert by any means, but I've noticed a few problems if you don't resample the Bass. Especially with filters/FX crossing over every time the riff is played. You don't have the same control over the "residue" of the FX so to speak - if you don't put it in a sampler. Plus it's a lot easier to layer the sounds so you can get a much fatter sound. Plus, certain samplers have very cool filters, and fx that synths simply don't have.

Have you guys checked out the icicle's master class yet? If not definitely have a gander at it - he answers a fair few questions regarding Bass processing. It really helped me out... But I've a looong way to go. :)

I'm pretty sure that all of Noisias basslines are resampled and you can't make that stuff with a synth! I read in an interview that they sampled the sound of carboard being scraped on one of their asses and resampled it, processed the shit out of it and used it as a bassline.

so did they literally have to "process the shit out of it"?

Fuck splitting/routing if you are in Ableton

Groups + Chains will do everything you could need and more, except Reverse audio

simplest way, load up 3 filters, group one of them, then add the other 2 as chains, setup your Chain controls as you need, tweek the filters, and off you go, bass split 3 ways n ready for more nastyness....dont stop with one group either ;)

Fuck splitting/routing if you are in Ableton

Groups + Chains will do everything you could need and more, except Reverse audio

simplest way, load up 3 filters, group one of them, then add the other 2 as chains, setup your Chain controls as you need, tweek the filters, and off you go, bass split 3 ways n ready for more nastyness....dont stop with one group either ;)

could you explain that more in depth? what do you mean "load up 3 filters"?

Back
Top Bottom