Resampling: How to put sub layer in mono?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
Probably a retarded question, but when you split the frequencies of a bassline into 3 layers for resampling, how do you put the sub layer into mono?

So ive got my 3 layers of midi in my daw ready to bounce down to an audio file, but I cant find an option in my daw to put the low layer into mono.

How do you guys go about this? Should i bounce each layer to audio first, convert the sub layer to mono with some program, then re-bounce again?

What daw? Usually when you insert an instrument onto a midi channel it gives you options to use a mono version.

Otherwise, you could either make the instrument mono via the vst interface if it allows, or simply place a utility insert at the end of your chain and flick it to mono.

What DAW do you use?

In ableton there is a FX called utility, you just throw that on there and set the width to 0. In FL if I remember correctly on the channel mixer there is a small dial you turn all the way to the left to set it as mono.

thanks for the replies

I'm using a daw called Mixcraft 5 which nobody else seems to use, lol

Anyway i can select the left channel but only on audio tracks, the option is not there on midi tracks. And only a few of my vst's have mono versions, Massive doesnt have one.

Can anyone recommend a utility insert to quickly change to mono?

cheers

In Logic the "Gain" utility has an option to make the channel mono, your DAW might have a similar plug built in.

Or I think you could load it into an audio editor like audacity (or a similar program) and turn it mono there.

Back
Top Bottom