Renting studio space

Discussion in 'Production' started by Cat Gas, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

Just some questions of how this works, where do i look etc.

I just thought if i had a bit of cash, how i would rent time in a studio to make some music? Just as a change of space from being at home, with no distractions and stuff. Anyone have any experiences of this or comments?

2. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

It probably depends on what you're trying to do. If it's something like say, bring in your laptop/audio interface/midi etc. and plug right into their setup, they will most likely charge you for rental time and not any extra costs such as hiring an engineer and what not.

I would Google some local studios in your area and see if they've got a website up and running that detail their pricing. If it's not listed (or if the price looks outrageous) give them a call. The first thing you'll want to ask is if it's a good time to talk–if he or she is in the middle of a session, it's probably not a good time for a lengthy conversation. Once you've gotten them on the phone for the full conversation, tell him what you're trying to do and if they offer studio time for what you want to do. If he can't help or doesn't offer such services, ask if he can send you in the direction of someone who does.

It's really a matter of searching/calling around to different studios until you find one willing to work with you. Admittedly, it's been years since I've stepped into a recording studio (I used to play in a band) so my knowledge is dated. What I mostly remember is the outstanding acoustics and sitting in the engineering room listening to the pristine audio emitting from the monitors in such a quality acoustical environment. But I digress...

Cheers.

3. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

all solid advice, but I have one thing to add. i would suggest to try and take advantage of the "pro" environment (acoustically) by having several tunes in an almost-finished state. then you can use you hard earned cash to mix down several of your tunes in an acoustically treated space, instead of using the time/money to work on a 16 bar loop or something...

4. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

yeah a big charge of course is for the engineer. studios won't let you touch their equipment without their own engineer present/from my personal experience.

best thing to do is find friends that work at studios and ask them for help.

5. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

I would save my money and work on your own home studio... Distractions can be overcome....

6. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

I actually recently saw quite a few little studios up in Leeds. Nice spaces to set up in anyway. As far as i remember they were fairly affordable but London would probably be significantly more.

As already said its probably best to just get a nice set up at home unless you're serious.

7. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

Any serious studio is going to have an engineer on deck and with that said, i'm not sure how well the creative part would work for me. I am speaking clearly for myself here. If i paid for studio time it would strictly be for mixdowns and masters...

But the chap does say he can't get good studio time at home so maybe it is better, for his situation of course...