Renin - Chrysalis // New EP Project

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Renin, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Renin

Renin New Member

I'm kind of a beginner, but I scoured the internet looking for a community to learn from and improve with, so I'm hoping this is the place. Anyways, my current project is a small EP currently named "Chrysalis", which may or may not be completely drum & bass. I just finished the first track yesterday, for which the album is named. I also spent a little bit of time making an album cover.

Like I said, I'm really new to this, and I'm looking for a place to learn. So if you have any criticism whatsoever, constructive or not, please help me out and post it.

Current EP Cover:

[​IMG]

Track 1 - Chrysalis
    FREE Download (320kbps)

Since this is also kind of serving as my introductory post, I hope I'm not breaking any rules or traditions.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Nautilus

Nautilus Member

if you are going to highpass it at the beginning, dont cut it off after 2 bars. drop needs a bit of work. meat in the middle sounds good, high hats need a bit of work. I personally hate random blabber within tracks, so maybe just eliminate them and add in some of your own instrumental variation. power chords are sounding nice and full. good work!

3. Renin

Renin New Member

Thanks! Can I just ask you to elaborate on your first statement? Are you saying I should just highpass the entire intro?

4. djdevz

djdevz Member

i think the drums need to punch harder, make sure everything is eq'd nice and tight, and i agree with nautilus about the random chat going on, but thats up to u..
    have u put any reverb on ur break? n i think some variation on ur riff of your synth would be cool imho.

5. Renin

Renin New Member

I'm having trouble making punchier kicks and snares without clipping. If one of you could point me in the direction of some instruction on making punchier drums without affecting the actual volume too much, it would be greatly appreciated.

6. neddez

neddez Member

the drums arent going to sound punchier just by making them louder,

get a spectrum analyser (SPAN is good) and a parametric eq and have a look at where your kick and snare are peaking

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/how-to-use-a-parametric-equalizer/

IMO:
    snares sound pretty tough peaking between 200-250hz
    same for a kick between 80-125hz (just make sure its not messing up your bass, can always sidechain it)

...and then for volume in regards to the overall mix theres compression/limitation

hope that helps, these are just what i do

~~

edit: and with regards to the art, it looks good

just have a look at the collar outline on the left hand side - its a bit square, and the whole of the right hand side could use blending

7. Renin

Renin New Member

I wasn't just making them louder. I'm not that amateur. But tinkering with equalizers and compressors usually made one end either too loud or not loud enough, and it's hard for me to find a good balance. Then again, I'm still kind of a deer in the headlights with the default Ableton compressor, which until recently I've only used for sidechaining.

I do use Ableton's EQ Eight, which is a parametric EQ, but I haven't experimented with the Spectrum tool yet. I'll keep messing with it on the new piece I'm working on right now.

8. oversight

oversight Member

not too bad, but yeah i think you drums need the most work, spend some time getting those sorted, also i think the track would benefit from more mid bass

9. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Hey mate,

nice one, big ups to you! :) I love making EPs or Albums as a musician. It really gives me a target and something to work towards which I like :D

Love that artwork, a lot. How did you make that? It looks really proffesional.

As for the track its sounding pretty nice to me :) Drums are a little bit meh, think some work could be done there. Snare in particular. Of course, with a track like this you don't want to heavy/nasty a snare! Great atmosphere in the whole tune. I liked the vocal speech sample. Can I ask how long you have been producing? The mixdown sounds fantastic on my headphones!

And as for a community to learn, you have found the right place. :)

Look foward to hearing more,

Jordan

10. Renin

Renin New Member

Awesome! I was worried nobody would like the vocal sample, even though I've heard a lot of great drum & bass featuring similar vocals.

The cover was made in Photoshop using this picture:
    [​IMG]

In addition to that I used a nebula stock and a single brush sample. The rest was done with basic Photoshop tools.

I'm glad you mentioned the snare, because the new piece I'm working on is seriously lacking in the drum sample department. I wound up just temporarily pulling the impulse set from this song to use. Can you recommend a good sample library for me to use? Right now I use Vengeance Essential House and Vengeance Essential Club Sounds, but there's only a handful of kick and snare samples from either one that I actually like, let alone that work well with a particular production.

To answer your last question, that's kind of difficult to gauge. I officially started learning to use Ableton for the purpose of producing in January or February of 2011, but progress was slow and I only spent an hour or two each week actually working with it. After a couple months I sort of stopped. I resumed around April or May, and messed around a little bit with some techo-orchestral sets that I made to play Minecraft to, which actually became a pretty popular EP on another forum I visit. Then I took another break for a few months due to being creatively destitute. I came back recently and started experimenting with some dubstep and general electro, and then made a quick little drum & bass piece inspired by the Brookes Brothers, which turned out to be really fun to make. After a couple more months of intermittent experimentation, I finally buckled down and made a really nice electro piece that I wound up abandoning, followed by this song.

TL;DR I've fudged around with little to no commitment for about a year now and then suddenly pulled this out of my ass.

11. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Nice photoshopping there then! :)

Vengeance are supposed to be some of the best around from what I hear! I have never spent any cash on samples and just search around the web for free samples :) I have been suggested some good collections here and one that is free to download is the "Lutharon Sample Pack". Maybe try that? Good couple hundred snares sounds in there!

As for your production time thats interesting :) I have been active musicaly for a few years now, was in a metal band and we got ourselves in a studio etc. Got to the point where we were ready to and had been offered gigs and now the band has fell apart :( I then got into production in May, so you only have a slight headstart on me really, and you seem to be miles ahead! In the past month or so though my songwriting is really starting to take off and I got some new projects I hope go down well!

I am looking foward to the rest of the EP to see what you can do mate, keep us posted! :D

12. Renin

Renin New Member

It seems like the learning curve for most things is not so much a curve, but a chaotic seismograph. You may have a complete failure of a project one day and then have some epiphanous breakthrough and create something you're truly proud of the very next. From what I've listened to on your Soundcloud, I'm not miles ahead of you at all.

And yeah i was in a metal band too for a little bit as the lead guitarist. I dropped out just in time for them to grab a sweet deal with a recording studio and become super popular, which kinda sucked. I guess it was a good thing though, because they also wound up breaking up, and my life became pretty hectic shortly thereafter. I much prefer the world of independent music production. ;)

13. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to check out ny tracks dude :) Means a lot to get a bit of feedback every now and then! :D

I know what you mean about prefering Music production. There is a lot more freedom and I find as an artist in electronic music a bit of variation is always welcome from artists. (Some do like Breakbeat, DnB and House for example) where as in a band the genre choice seems a bit limited :lol:

14. Renin

Renin New Member

No problem. :)

Yeah, independent creation is the most artistically raw method of creating music. One mind, free to express without limits. Whereas a band is only as good as its weakest link.