removing echo/reverb from an accapella

Discussion in 'Production' started by pitts, Dec 20, 2011.

1. pitts

pitts Member

i have an accapella i want to use but it has an unwanted echo on it as thats what the original had but with what i wanting to use it for would sound a lot better if the vocals were clean, ive tried equing that didnt change anything and ive also tried chopping the sample down to the desired length but i think a delay might have been used because there is still some unwanted noise over the top.

anyone got any suggestions?

help is appreciated

2. xiu

xiu Member

how about izotope nectar ? it has a breath reducer . I think it works on reverb too.

3. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Maybe a noise gate with some subtle settings?

4. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Or some limiter that has threshold settings so you could isolate vocals from reverb that's lower in volume?

5. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

Id say a Gate.

6. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

A Gate is a good start, remeber to leave enough decay for the words to sound natural. that said, i dont think it will work that well unless you are going to resaturate the vocals with other FX, Gated reverb has a distinct sound that is very obvious

Most reverb will be big wide stereo sound, so one way could be to use a M/S EQ (Mid/Side), usually you can select Mid (like Mono) or Side and work on each seperatly, so if you drop the Side part down to -inf db (or as far as it will go), but leave the Mid untouched, that should take lots of the verb out for you.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

btw: echo is not the same as reverb, and then there is delay, gates will work better for echo and delay, M/S EQ will help with reverb.

incase ur not sure of the diffrence, heres a vague description of their sound...

echo...like delay, repeating the sound with a decay in volume (usually)
    delay...similar to echo but usually with more settings including stereo placement
    reverb...more abstract/blurred sound with no obvious 'echos'

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

Ceder DNS 1000 can remove reverb but they are pretty expensive. Maybe try some user forums and see if someone would be kind enough to run your vocals through one? :)