Remixing?

BLoodstaiN`

Say you want to make a remix of a track made by a big producer, say Original sin.
There's no way you'll get the stems for it. so you buy the original and start remixing!

My question is, How the fuck do you do that?
i know chopping up is one part but i don't even know how to chop up.
I'd like to make a remix of when i look at you by emalkay.
but i don't know how to start.

well, the only way is to hope you can find elements with which he made it really... its different with remixing dnb to a 'normal' tune i think (cos with a normal tune, i'd just sampel the shit out of it!)

To chop up, you need to know the exact bpm (not hard) then you must make sure that you cut the tiny bit of audio off the beginning of the track down the exact point of the transient and then move to the 0 marker. Then you should just be able to cut and rearrange to the bar and it should blend together seamlessly providing your first cut is absolutely spot on. If its not then you get accumulative errors towards the end of the track and things will start to sound shit and bits of waveforms will be missing.

Hope that makes sense (y)

Theres a new program called 'Hit n Mix' which is supposed to let you pull tracks apart

i dont know how well it works tho as i havent really used it yet

nope. you replay every element yourself. you remake it from scratch basically. remake it as a 60's soul tune with brass and doo-wop girls. then remix that into drum and bass. much more awesom way to do it.

if its a non dnb tune you want to remix, you see what you can sample, which usually isnt much, but get what you can and then do the above. this is for maximum original sound.

Basicly you need the original stems to make a goooooood remix. Like the pro's. They don't cut tracks themselfs, they get all the stems from the original artist.

About the best you can usually obtain is the acapella, the instrumental and the MIDI file. Depending on the original will depend on whats available. Try to breakdown the original into the smallest elements you can. Sometimes you can overcome issues, for example say you have this awesome beat that you want to loop out but the vocal tails off over the beginning. Try searching the original for another area where this is clean and cut them together to make/repair the beat loop. Probably not the best example but hopefully you get the idea.

Peace

yea tbh you'll need the stems from the original artist. and fyi remixing a big artists tunes is quite frowned upon by the artists themselves and so out of courtesy i would probably run it by them first unless you're doing it for fun and dont give it away free or plaster all over the internet.

Truth be told mate - I wouldn't look to remix huge artists, just makes you seem like a fanboy. Work with smaller artists who write original tracks, remix for them, and the track might actually go somewhere and you'll actually build a name for yourself. Just ask around, not that many people will really be against having what could be a potentially great remix done for free, especially the smaller labels.

Back
Top Bottom