Remixing a Tune - Is it allowed?

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
If you wanted to remix a tune and used there vocal would it be illegal if it got signed, im pretty sure it isnt allowed but thought id check

depends mate, if its a dnb tune then its a no-no, defo dont sample other artists work. but if its non dnb.. how old is the tune? how famous was it... yes it is illegal.. but then alot of ppl do it and get away with it. If signed to a large reputable label then they will probably need to arrange clearance of the sample before the release due to the amount of publicity it will recieve.

muddy water mate. if you remix a that's been put out for remix it would be fine. if you take the vocal from a tune and use it as it is then really it should be illegal if the tune is sold if it's a free bootleg, ie your making no money from it then it's not illegal. but if you remix the vocal and it sounds nothing like the original then it all depends on if someone who's involved in the making of the original so you wanna take in to consideration how likely it is that said person would hear it. and it all depends on if the original's record label can be assed to bother doing anything about it. it's a bit of a mine field really mate. i say go for it. or get someone to rerecord the original.

and to be honest, i'd think most record labels will want to know if the vocals original. if it's not they not want to sign it or they may look about getting the sample cleared.

Last edited:
In any case you can use 30 secs of any tune without breaking copyright things, at least that's what it used to be like..

if it's a free bootleg, ie your making no money from it then it's not illegal.

this is still illegal tbh mate, still breach of copyright law however alot less frowned upon and labels/artists less likely to do anything about it. the most you'd normally get is a firm message from the label advising not to do this and to remove from the public, at this point you should really adhere to their request.

In any case you can use 30 secs of any tune without breaking copyright things, at least that's what it used to be like..

im pretty sure this is defo still breach of copyright law. any reproduction of the material in any form without consent of the copyright owner is breach of copyright.

this is still illegal tbh mate, still breach of copyright law however alot less frowned upon and labels/artists less likely to do anything about it. the most you'd normally get is a firm message from the label advising not to do this and to remove from the public, at this point you should really adhere to their request.
i guess mate. but then a prime example, spectrasouls remix of adele, dunno if they got in trouble for it or not though.

whys that bud?

as a dnb producer, its just etiquette and you will defo be contacted by the label. trust me on this one lol ive made the mistake in my early days and got a very firm message from a very important player lol!!

as a dnb producer, its just etiquette and you will defo be contacted by the label. trust me on this one lol ive made the mistake in my early days and got a very firm message from a very important player lol!!
i thought the whole genre was based on sampling other peoples work. like then amen and think break?

think i remember this... hazard by any chance?

i thought the whole genre was based on sampling other peoples work. like then amen and think break?

yea but amen wasnt originally from a dnb tune. Trust me on this one dude, its better to be safe than get a bad rep for pissin off other artists. Plus, if the artist is quite on a level, u could always ask em if u can do a cheeky bootleg. They may even send u the stem files if ur lucky.. but that would be a remix/bootleg, i wouldnt reccomend asking an artist if u can use their vocals in ur new tune cos it probably wont go down well lol

And rich.. yea mayne! all good now tho

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

just had a thought. if the vocal in question actually isnt an original piece, ie it was sampled from some 60s tune, then aslong as u rip it from its original source and not the dnb tune, its technically ok. HOWEVER!!!! it would be a silly idea if its already been cained in the scene.

example
I stumbled across the original motown tune for netsky - i refuse vocals the other day but there aint no way im ever using them in a tune, even if they are wicked vox.

yea but amen wasnt originally from a dnb tune.
I just face palmed my self. Sorry bro, i thought you ment sampling stuff FOR a dnb tune was a bad idea rather than sampling stuff FROM another dnb. my bad :P

yea but amen wasnt originally from a dnb tune. Trust me on this one dude, its better to be safe than get a bad rep for pissin off other artists. Plus, if the artist is quite on a level, u could always ask em if u can do a cheeky bootleg. They may even send u the stem files if ur lucky.. but that would be a remix/bootleg, i wouldnt reccomend asking an artist if u can use their vocals in ur new tune cos it probably wont go down well lol

And rich.. yea mayne! all good now tho

lol, was in my formative forum period i do believe!

i also think how you know the producer... for example, if you have a few tunes on the scene and you started a remix of another artists tune, you could ping that over to them and be like, whatcha think? might happen?

well i only say this cos i'm remixing complexes boogeyman atm, and i think if i sent him a remix he'd play it!

Freek what tune did Hazard have a go at u over??

Just to add my worth, i believe u can get a vocal resung n it'll be completely legal

a bootleg of killers dont die in 2008/2009, it was crap and he wasnt exactly impressed lol!

just pretty much what i been saying in this thread. shouldnt do that without the artist/label permission, it will give me a bad rep etc etc..

Back
Top Bottom