Remix I did for a producer requested by a new label as a free release

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Outway, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Outway

Outway Member

Hi all,

I did a remix for an unsigned artist earlier this year through their producer. Now a new, online bass music label wants to use it and release it as a free giveaway on their label in a new series of releases after the label owner heard it. With the remix I did, there was no contract or anything. I just did it as a free remix for the producer. I don't actually know whether I can just say yes and permit this this new label to use it. I was thinking I would ask the producer for whom I made the remix in the first place. He may not have an issue with it but I don't know.

Any advice much appreciated!

M

2. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

i dunno seems obvious, and just polite to ask to use the mateys stems and shit for your own personal gain... i would

3. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

If its a free giveaway i cant see it being a problem....And to be fair, if its digital and wasnt a free-bie your not gooing to make fuck all money anyway.....Only thing the guy could argue is that your using he's stem's, but if he's un-signed and never even bothered with a contract i wouldnt really worry about it.

4. Outway

Outway Member

Thanks for the responses. I've emailed the producer anyway :)

M

5. blumarten

blumarten Well-Known Member

the simple answer is 'no', you have no rights at all to give the track to another label.. free release or not.
    there's a much longer answer but i don't have time to type it out, so just stick with the line above this one.

6. Outway

Outway Member

As I initially thought, it's not for me to permit it to be used.

Thanks..

7. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

whats the worst that can happen? How many digital labels have been sue'd taken to court ect.....Over a track that proberly wont even make £40

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah....sorry i read the original post wrong.....so the stems are not even yours. That makes things different....Why would you want to use them anyway?

8. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

No contract stipulating this though. And the track will not be used to make money.

Cant see a problem really.

9. jungle_fever

jungle_fever Well-Known Member

TC1 & Stress Level ft. Jenna G - 'lost in music' was released on liquid v and then tc1 added the vocals to the octane & dlr tume called 'the walrus'. the result was called 'lost in walrus' and it was better than both of the tunes that the parts came from. ant then tried to include it on the transit one album on dispatch but there were difficulties with the legality of it cos the vocal sample was technically signed to planet v. Soooo he ended up releasing it as a freebee when someone bought the album and that was apparently ok...

10. Outway

Outway Member

Correct mate. The producer sent me the stems for the original track. I remixed. Sent track to him. The original track was released, but the remix was sent to DJs and local radio stations, and was not part of the original release. It was there to supplement the original.

What's happened recently however is that this new digital label heard this remix, and would like to use it and release it on their label. It would obviously be cool if it was released on a label, but I don't own it, so it's not for me to decide. I'm hoping that it would be permitted as it's only online and it's promotion for the original artist (for whom the producer works with) and wouldn't do me any harm either. Win / Win I think.

11. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

have you hit up the original artist and labe to see what they think? maybe an idea matey

12. Outway

Outway Member

Yeh cheers, I have emailed original producer. Will update when I know the deal :)

13. garffi3

garffi3 Member

Its all good promo for the original.

14. blumarten

blumarten Well-Known Member

nah that's not the way things work at all i'm afraid