REMIX how do they work?

Dan M

hard gay northern bear
VIP Junglist
if you make a remix of lets say for arguments sake nirvana. how does that work with rights to the song. ie do you need permission to retail it from the original artist or what and how would sum1 go about doing this.

its better to recreate the sample you would have to pay less

ok so say i recreated the exact same notes for a simple riff like prodigy no good for me. ur sayin i wudnt have to pay them as much as i would if i jus straight ripped it off their cd, i mean how is that policed do they have like a patent or summat on the sample or wot. if anyone has any info on the legal part of this it wud be interesting to know.

Dr. Dre is an example of this he recreates all the samples he uses note for note, you still would have to pay the artist but not as much as if you straight sampled them. I'll have a dig around see if I can find stuff for you if nobody comes back with better information

What if right, u wanted to remix a dnb tune, for example, if i wanted to remix smash TV by C&S,

do i tell them i wanna do it and they send me samples they used to make the original and i make a new tune using the same samples or do u start from scratch and hope the remix sounds like the original?

Do the original producers have any input (like sending the samples) on a remix?

am guessin that it works in various ways according to the circumstance. i suppose in drum n bass the scene is a bit tighter so people would know people an am guessin it would be pretty straight forward. but when this gets to commercial market where theres serious cah to be made i bet theres laws n shit like that

if ur sampling a slice of a record, a vocal, or a loop, then unless u either

a.) have the liscences to use the sample

or b.) process the sample and incorperate it into ur work so the original song doesn't come to mind when u hear the sample or track.

if not then u can be liable for copyright infringment. so basically its not the length or use of the sample that affects copyright, it's how recognisable your piece is to the original. but of cours if ur doing a remix then you will most likely wanna keep at least some of the original's flavour and soul. so if u make a wikid remix (that will most likely include samples of the original) then you will have to get the rights to release it, and this could be quite a costly process involving alot of royalties and shit. esspecially if the tune becomes popular! (more money ur remix is making is more money they think is rightfully theirs)

this is all of cours unless u decide to release it as a bootleg white label. Then it's all good and the release will more rare and desirable. But you can't put your name on it and take any commercial credit, otherwise the legal types will come knocking at your door. A good example of this is "days go by" by high contrast.

And yer if u wanna official release and your remix only uses a sample or two from the original and sounds rather different to the original, then recreate the samples yourself. An example of this is "deeper underground" by xample.

What if right, u wanted to remix a dnb tune, for example, if i wanted to remix smash TV by C&S,

do i tell them i wanna do it and they send me samples they used to make the original and i make a new tune using the same samples or do u start from scratch and hope the remix sounds like the original?

Do the original producers have any input (like sending the samples) on a remix?

Chase & Status would pay somebody to remix their tune for them then they own the rights to the remix after it is finished. Any remixes that are on releases are funded by the original artist first. Jason Nevins that remixed the Jungle Brothers tune was paid a couple of thousand for the remix and they made hundreds of thousands of that tune.

Chase & Status would pay somebody to remix their tune for them then they own the rights to the remix after it is finished. Any remixes that are on releases are funded by the original artist first. Jason Nevins that remixed the Jungle Brothers tune was paid a couple of thousand for the remix and they made hundreds of thousands of that tune.

makes good buisness sense

oh and the reason u still have to pay if u recreate samples is because sometimes, but not always, some songs themselves are copyrighted. i.e. if i wanted to sing take that on the x factor then x factor wud have to by the copyrights to the song itself, obv not the recording cos its live. but basically if ur remixing or covering a choon for commercial release then u need to go thru copyright laws, some people and bands allow these copyrights for free or at a small reasonable fee. some don't.

An example is the london elektricity remix of hard-fi, "hard to beat" where the band allowed the copyrights to be given to hospital after hearing and liking the song, but im sure a fee was paid tho.

thats fuckin bollox if you wanna copy a riff...people copy riffs all the time...ive copied riffs from mozart, but he aint gunna bang on my door demanding money

I've noticed alot in dnb people just risk it cos the genres just not large enough compared to the main stream for tunes to get really big - a good example is a tune on grooveriders show this saturday just gone sampling darth vadar very obviously..............I'm pretty damn sure old georgey lucas wouldn't have granted that!!!

fuck george lucas.
fuck him right in the ear.

copying loops, okay u should have to get some sort of authorization but riffs?

thats just stupid, its like me doin a tune with a bassline that goes C,D,E,D and making people pay me if they think about using the same pattern

Run DMC. I'm revoking your East Coast Hiphop ripping rights.

Dr. Dre is an example of this he recreates all the samples he uses note for note, you still would have to pay the artist but not as much as if you straight sampled them. I'll have a dig around see if I can find stuff for you if nobody comes back with better information

Not really, under law there is no difference between 'recreating' and straight ripping. Dr Dre doesn't pay for the music he steals, he's clever enough to change the samples enough that his clever lawyers can get him out of trouble (and paying).

thats fuckin bollox if you wanna copy a riff...people copy riffs all the time...ive copied riffs from mozart, but he aint gunna bang on my door demanding money

Kids talking copyright law.

You know why he isn't at your door?

a) He's dead

b) The copyright has expired.

Sample somebody big and have a success, like Zinc did with the Fugees, and you'll have lawyers round the door.

Most cases though, the original author can't be bollocked because you ain't going to get money from a dnb artist. I seriously doubt even Machete had clearance from Rodriguez.

Dustek tearing me to shreads in this thread but I'm gunna have to keep my East Coast Hip Hop licence because whether it was Run DMC or Jungle Brothers it was still a shit tune, and thankfully I have forgotten it so much I cant remember what song was ruined

fuck george lucas.
fuck him right in the ear.

copying loops, okay u should have to get some sort of authorization but riffs?

thats just stupid, its like me doin a tune with a bassline that goes C,D,E,D and making people pay me if they think about using the same pattern

Its like that and thats the way it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom