REMIX how do they work?

Dustek tearing me to shreads in this thread but I'm gunna have to keep my East Coast Hip Hop licence because whether it was Run DMC or Jungle Brothers it was still a shit tune, and thankfully I have forgotten it so much I cant remember what song was ruined

You telling me its like that and thats the way it is? :teeth:

You could get sued for the littlest thing you steal from them without their permission. You can only use something without permission if it's under fair use.

The makers of the film "I got the hook up" got sued for a 2 second sample (3 note riff) from George Clinton's "get off your ass and jam" because it appeared in their film. The federal court said "any sampling from a recording amounts to copyright infringement."

i didnt think they could sue over a cover version. If they did, there wouldnt b so many crap covers.lol. i thought the copyright law only applied 2 sampling, not recreating a riff. cos most of the old jungle traks used well known reggae/ragga basslines.

Kids talking copyright law.

You know why he isn't at your door?

a) He's dead

b) The copyright has expired.

Sample somebody big and have a success, like Zinc did with the Fugees, and you'll have lawyers round the door.

Most cases though, the original author can't be bollocked because you ain't going to get money from a dnb artist. I seriously doubt even Machete had clearance from Rodriguez.

Right, it's in the public domain since he died over 50 years ago.

i didnt think they could sue over a cover version. If they did, there wouldnt b so many crap covers.lol. i thought the copyright law only applied 2 sampling, not recreating a riff. cos most of the old jungle traks used well known reggae/ragga basslines.

When they made old skool jungle copyright was different.

Kids talking copyright law.

You know why he isn't at your door?

a) He's dead

b) The copyright has expired.

Sample somebody big and have a success, like Zinc did with the Fugees, and you'll have lawyers round the door.

Most cases though, the original author can't be bollocked because you ain't going to get money from a dnb artist. I seriously doubt even Machete had clearance from Rodriguez.

was a joke man fuckin hell

A cover version is you playing almost exactly the same song. You have to pay a fee to do so but you don't have to ask permission. Sampling or remixing requires prior permission or a good lawyer and lots of cash.

Most old jungle tracks are highly illegal in copyright terms.

Back
Top Bottom