Releasing music questions

DYSRUPT

I never have been approached to release anything, and I never asked anyone to release anything but I have been asked to release 2 tracks on a particular label . . . . . .Its a lower level label with not much dnb on their roster. Its a foot in the door and they release on all the major music sites. They asked me to send the tracks over and they'll send the contract.

Is their anything I should know about this process? Is their anything I should be weary of, or look out for? Should I wait and send the tracks to other labels as well?

Although there will be many more tracks in the future, I love the tracks and spent countless hours getting them just right, so I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with them.

It might come to a surprise, but a "Beatport release" was never my intention when I started producing. I always knew that doing what you love will eventually pay off, now that it may start doing that, I'm a little concerned. I also know that just because you release something, it dosnt mean its a banger. We all know what sits in the back vaults of Beatport lol.

erm, your tunes are quite good, but you probably won't get paid if you go with a small independent, so you have nothing to lose IMO.

look at signing music on this level as a way to network and gain some new followers. It is unlikely that if you sit around and wait you'll get a 'bigger deal'

Last edited:
Never look at releasing music as earning your money, I wouldn't care about my music ever earning money through sales, it's all about getting your craft out there, and if you get bookings or paid work from that, then well done!

Never look at releasing music as earning your money, I wouldn't care about my music ever earning money through sales, it's all about getting your craft out there, and if you get bookings or paid work from that, then well done!
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. when it comes to deciding to sign or not, for me it would depend on if the tracks and artists on their roster are at your level, or better. There are a lot of small independants that are probably going nowhere in terms of quality and exposure, so its your decision to decide if it will be worth it. If you think its the right crowd to be part of, then go for it.

To be honest, if it was me I would take care of all this "send us your tracks and then we send you the contract" thing. If the label know about your songs, it's because they've listened to them somewhere, so they know what they should get. If they are professional enough, this would fulfill their requirements, and after they ask you if you are indeed interested (and not asking for the tracks), they would send you the contract right away. That's the way I see a professional label dealing with things.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. when it comes to deciding to sign or not, for me it would depend on if the tracks and artists on their roster are at your level, or better. There are a lot of small independants that are probably going nowhere in terms of quality and exposure, so its your decision to decide if it will be worth it. If you think its the right crowd to be part of, then go for it.

Thats kind of the thing Mania. I had a listen to their releases and Im not at all impressed. I know Im not noisia, or even in the same game, but I like to think I know where I add up. Also, saying "my stuff is too good for that label" seems like a super douche bag thing to do.

As I think about it more and more, i think I'll wait. and fuck it, this is the label
http://www.beatport.com/label/fruit-of-noise-records/37079/tracks

Thanks for the help guys. :2thumbs:

Thats kind of the thing Mania. I had a listen to their releases and Im not at all impressed. I know Im not noisia, or even in the same game, but I like to think I know where I add up. Also, saying "my stuff is too good for that label" seems like a super douche bag thing to do.

As I think about it more and more, i think I'll wait. and fuck it, this is the label
http://www.beatport.com/label/fruit-of-noise-records/37079/tracks

Thanks for the help guys. :2thumbs:
Gave them a good listen, completely get where you're coming from. If i were you, i wouldnt. There's very little in the way of quality, and the amount of variety is concerning. Most of the tracks sound like forgotten projects made a year or two after starting.
But how do you say no? To a label? Ive never contemplated it lol.

Ask one of the established guys hanging around on this forum, i'm sure they would have a good idea of what to do. Until then, not replying would probably be the best option.

But how do you say no? To a label? Ive never contemplated it lol.

Like every other possible way to say no. "No, I'm not interested". lols
@dysrupt. It's your music dude and if you think your music is too good for the label then you know, it might just as well be true. There are a bunch of crappy labels out anyway. If you feel you're at a point where your music is suitable for proper release then go for it. It's a win win anyway. If you get a signing on a decent label, or get declined, it's saying something about your music either way and just act accordingly. Don't really understand why you're pressured tho from what I just said :/

There are probably 50 record labels founded in any one month and about the same that fold. Anybody can put together a shitty website and call them self a record label CEO these days.

The chances are smaller labels won't be of any benefit to you what so ever. If you really want to release your music, look for labels that put out music similar to yours and send them a demo. Or, try to produce music that fits with the label you would like to sign with.

If your considering sending out demo's here is some good advice from some record label owners (not DnB but the principles are the same)

http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/how-to-get-your-demo-heard-and-your-track-released/

If you think its better than the label, dont let them have it, simple as. Otherwise you wont be happy with the release. It's your music, you said you spent hours perfecting it, so why throw it away at something that you wont be fully happy with?

Keep hold of it, make some more tunes and then send a batch of 3,4 or 5 of your best off to labels you WOULD be happy with. Dont set your sights only at the big fish, by all means send it to them too, but also send it to "realistic" labels, up and coming ones that are respected (all personal emails obviously). Eventually someone will pick up on it, this can take weeks even months, in that time, make more music.

As for saying no, just say no. Thank them for their interest but say your gonna hold on to the tunes for now. Make up some bullshit if you want, say your gonna make an album and want them part of it, anything if you dont want to be so blunt. If they approached you, they want the music, not the other way round. This is all my own opinions though

You have to think about whether this release is going to get you any closer to where you want to be. There's no reason to set your sights low. If it's not a label you want to represent then there's no reason to do it. It probably won't get you much exposure or money anyway if it's a very small label with no links.

It's very easy to send tunes to the big labels these days, you just have to message the right people on FB / Twitter and if your tunes are good enough you'll be able to get in there. All the biggest labels are looking out for new unknown artists to build up.

You have to think about whether this release is going to get you any closer to where you want to be. There's no reason to set your sights low. If it's not a label you want to represent then there's no reason to do it. It probably won't get you much exposure or money anyway if it's a very small label with no links.

It's very easy to send tunes to the big labels these days, you just have to message the right people on FB / Twitter and if your tunes are good enough you'll be able to get in there. All the biggest labels are looking out for new unknown artists to build up.

Very true. The way I looked at it was, if I wouldn't want to collaborate with any of the artists they sign, then I wouldnt be proud to be a part of or promote that label. I was only having a hard time because getting a couple tracks out there would be sweet, but jumping the gun to the first fly by night label is probably a bad idea. Thanks again.

This, I like to approach labels where I am really feeling their output, great to send beats over and get some feedback from producers whos sound you are into

Back
Top Bottom