Regarding the netsky acusation

DJ scan

Even if there is 'skulldugery' afoot here, i think the whole cdj/searto thing is still whack! especially used by anyone that has had no vinyl mixin experience, like everyone jumping on the production bandwagon these days, getting a digital release, and thinking, ''oh, i need to be able to mix if i get bookings, i know, ill whack a cd in or hunch over a laptop, with no idea about tune selection, planning drop points ect, and still have my arms in the air thinkin im a bad man''.... just even more embarrasin when they cock up using that sort of equipment, or worse still, threads like this are started, to acuse such things!

I dont care what sort of amazing tricks you can do on these new toys, it'll never beat the thirll of watchin someone workin there arse off over vinyl. i even like hearing a few mistakes here an there on vinyl (if they adjust it quickly) lets you know its LIVE and hes actually doin somethin up there.

And this whole business of ''oh its so much easier not carring vinyl about'' - WHAT, shut ya noise, man up!!!. If you cant even lug a good hours worth of tunes about without gripping about it, you picked the wrong hobby!!!

Even if there is 'skulldugery' afoot here, i think the whole cdj/searto thing is still whack! especially used by anyone that has had no vinyl mixin experience, like everyone jumping on the production bandwagon these days, getting a digital release, and thinking, ''oh, i need to be able to mix if i get bookings, i know, ill whack a cd in or hunch over a laptop, with no idea about tune selection, planning drop points ect, and still have my arms in the air thinkin im a bad man''.... just even more embarrasin when they cock up using that sort of equipment, or worse still, threads like this are started, to acuse such things!

I dont care what sort of amazing tricks you can do on these new toys, it'll never beat the thirll of watchin someone workin there arse off over vinyl. i even like hearing a few mistakes here an there on vinyl (if they adjust it quickly) lets you know its LIVE and hes actually doin somethin up there.

And this whole business of ''oh its so much easier not carring vinyl about'' - WHAT, shut ya noise, man up!!!. If you cant even lug a good hours worth of tunes about without gripping about it, you picked the wrong hobby!!!

hang on so your saying people who mix serato have no skills? hmmm..... dj marky springs to mind to say the least, and as for tune selection, whats the difference between looking on a laptop than looking in a vinyl bag... The tunes are still drawn either way.. and besides i have over 1000 tunes nearly to choose from on my laptop rather than the 50 or so that the average vinyl bag can handel.. so its safe to say in the the laptop dj would/could have a better selection than the vinyl dj...

as road runner said op is a fag

I always poke my nose in where it is not wanted ...

In this case all I have to say I would prefer to carry a heavy load of vinyl, you can get a case on wheels!!

If you dont wake up the next morning with a bruise on your shoulder and the feeling that you've slept in a wardrobe you're doing it wrong.

hang on so your saying people who mix serato have no skills? hmmm..... dj marky springs to mind to say the least, and as for tune selection, whats the difference between looking on a laptop than looking in a vinyl bag... The tunes are still drawn either way.. and besides i have over 1000 tunes nearly to choose from on my laptop rather than the 50 or so that the average vinyl bag can handel.. so its safe to say in the the laptop dj would/could have a better selection than the vinyl dj...

as road runner said op is a fag

Course im not saying that, people can and do do good things on all aspects. DJ Kentaro for instance (1x dmc world champ), combines serato and vinyl in his live sets! and absolutley smacks it

However, the majority of people i see out using such software, no matter how well syncronized or even key matched in certain cases, just doesnt seem geld enough, for instance if they have not used vinyl and are not used to 'reading' the record, to see how many counts/measures to an interlude or drop. and yes the mix is synced, but just seems to lack a certain nuance of someone that uses or has used vinyl well!

As for the record bag - hardrive capacity issue. yeah, its good to have a hefty song library at hand, but for me, only if i was playing somewhere where i took requests (and no, thats not a diss to people who do play such places) or played for an unusually lengthy period of time. where as if i was playing a 1 hour to 2 hour set at a rave/club etc, the mix i had planned would more than fit into my record bag, which id be more than happy to lug about

Course im not saying that, people can and do do good things on all aspects. DJ Kentaro for instance (1x dmc world champ), combines serato and vinyl in his live sets! and absolutley smacks it

However, the majority of people i see out using such software, no matter how well syncronized or even key matched in certain cases, just doesnt seem geld enough, for instance if they have not used vinyl and are not used to 'reading' the record, to see how many counts/measures to an interlude or drop. and yes the mix is synced, but just seems to lack a certain nuance of someone that uses or has used vinyl well!

As for the record bag - hardrive capacity issue. yeah, its good to have a hefty song library at hand, but for me, only if i was playing somewhere where i took requests (and no, thats not a diss to people who do play such places) or played for an unusually lengthy period of time. where as if i was playing a 1 hour to 2 hour set at a rave/club etc, the mix i had planned would more than fit into my record bag, which id be more than happy to lug about

true if you dont know how to cue up a track then it doesn't matter if you a vinyl, cd or serato user... i came from a vinyl background so no probs there as are most of the people that i know who have serato.. the reason most of us got it was because its to fucking pricey keeping up with the cost of vinyl and the amount of good tunes that come out every week its just not viable on the salaries which most of us have..

Back to the issue of the record bag... I've found since i've gotten serato that my mixes have come alot more diverse since all my tunes are situated infront of me on the screen just be having a spur of the moment mix rather than spending 20 minutes searching through my vinyl collection for the tune i want every time i have a bright spark idea of what would go well together.. also it allows you to pre-empt tune selection because you can look at he laptop screen for the next tune whilst cueing up another track than having to take off the headphones and have a big ol search through the bag..

Thought i'd make it clear that i'm not hating on vinyl, I still buy the rare piece from time to time, just now as a serato user i've gotta back the digital corner a bit :)

true if you dont know how to cue up a track then it doesn't matter if you a vinyl, cd or serato user... i came from a vinyl background so no probs there as are most of the people that i know who have serato.. the reason most of us got it was because its to fucking pricey keeping up with the cost of vinyl and the amount of good tunes that come out every week its just not viable on the salaries which most of us have..

Back to the issue of the record bag... I've found since i've gotten serato that my mixes have come alot more diverse since all my tunes are situated infront of me on the screen just be having a spur of the moment mix rather than spending 20 minutes searching through my vinyl collection for the tune i want every time i have a bright spark idea of what would go well together.. also it allows you to pre-empt tune selection because you can look at he laptop screen for the next tune whilst cueing up another track than having to take off the headphones and have a big ol search through the bag..

Thought i'd make it clear that i'm not hating on vinyl, I still buy the rare piece from time to time, just now as a serato user i've gotta back the digital corner a bit :)

Thats cool, fair and accurate comments..... My intention wasnt to just slag f*** out of digital users... But regards to people being shocked by Dj's that have clearly done production 1st, then mixing (not saying this is the case with netsky), especially with laptops, you cant be shocked that the 'odd one' cheats here and there... Mixing probably hasnt ment as much to them as it would have an avid vinyl enthusiast/seasoned disk jockey who perhaps dj'd before producing - in some cases better technically and passionatley about that aspect.

Im not trying to say serato is junk, because inevitably, any vinyl dj that wishes to continue djing will have to embrace this technology at some point

hrj21f.jpg

I pretty much agree with every point made in this thread.
I started out with a piece of shit numark midi controller, never touched a 12" (giggity, lol) before in my life. I then bought a VMS4 midi controller as i was getting more serious, i bought it over others because it can be used with analogue tt's.

Now, i wouldnt have it any other way. Its 4 channel so i have 4 decks onscreen. I use 3 digital and 1 analogue. It opens new windows for all kinds of diversity, plus, as im only using one TT in conjuction with midi, so i still retain a portion of respect among the vinyl community, but only lug 1/2 (often less) of the vinyl =).

My 2c. =P

Back
Top Bottom