regarding tablets

Discussion in 'Production' started by logikz, Apr 26, 2012.

1. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

can you install flp on a tablet? or how does that work

2. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

I know there is a mobile FL app that can be cross integrated with the full version (iOS).

Cheers.

3. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

research this because i have read the app has some severe limitations. i think i heard something about NOT being able to import your own audio/samples

4. logikz

ok. iOS? is that mac? but there are PC tablets too no? i was just thinking it could be fun to pull out sometime, theyre so small and handy

5. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Laptop will do the trick, I don't know about tablets, seems inconvenient.

6. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

the limitations of a tablet make it seem more like a gimmick to me, yea it would be good to mess around with synths on, but for actually making music i reckon it would be rubbish..

7. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

'iOS' is just the operating system for 'iDevices', devices such as the iPhone, iPod or iPad. There are PC tablets but of course they are not as good (i work for apple lol). Yeh man thats pretty much what iPads are for... 'fun'. If your planning on actually producing dnb or whatever solely on the iPad then don't bother, not gonna happen, plus you can not plug any peripherals into into except shitty things like a camera connection kit or a cable to hook it up to your tv. But theres a couple of cool little 'synth' apps that you will have fun playing with for like 2 hours :).

8. logikz

ok but it would be a pc tablet, since flp is not avaiable for mac. are pc tablets also iOS?

9. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

Nope, some are 'Android', some operating systems are made by nokia, depends on which one you go for. Android is made by Google, so that in my opinion is second best.

Yeh its true FL is not for mac but you can still get the FL mobile on an iPad, and there wouldn't be any problems transferring between a iPad and a PC (if FL mobile allows it). Plus if you got an iPad it is so good for lots of other things aswell (except more expensive).

10. logikz

ok i see! thank you greenflydnb!

11. Freek

oh my god there's an apple on it that means it must be amaze.. only joking, i just see the ipad as a novelty. Its just a bulky ipone... i mean didnt we used to take the piss out of people with brick phones lol

12. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

No problem logikz :).

Hahaha yeh i totally agree, iPads are only novelty and yes pretty much a big iPhone except you can't phone people :), which is why i don't have one.

13. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

we're currently @ 1.5ghz dual core with upto 4gb ram in tablets, give it 18months and we'll be at 3Ghz quad core, then it will be worth using a tablet for production

there are a few nice little synth/tracker/drumrack apps about, but dont expect much from them, fun tho

14. Freek

yea i guess, my point wasnt really about the power of tablets tho, its more about the lack of compatability with all software. each software developer has to create and adapted form of the software for tablets and i dont see them doing it any time soon.

fuckin excited bout tonight mayne!!

15. JReilly

JReilly Member

I've got an Ipad, and Fl studio Mobile and it is SHIT!

16. DJWhizzkidd

DJWhizzkidd Member

Thank you for your in depth analysis.

17. logikz

but you already knew it was gonna be, surely you did. i dont think anyones come up with a doable sequencer for the android or whatever its called, the big touchscreen phones what everyone is so excited about these days. i remember when phones were so small they didnt reach from mouth to ear. and that was 15 years ago, i dont know what happened to technology after nokia 3210 i lost the plot

18. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

hahaha!!

19. JReilly

JReilly Member

I didn't buy it hoping it would be a portable studio, I bought it just for something to do when i'm travelling and shit. But to be honest the only stuff thats available on the ipad that I would consider using in one of my projects is a few synths. The moog one is suprisingly okay for £6.

It's only a matter of time before it's doable though, I mean who would have though that you would be shooting HD videos on a device small enough to fit into your pocket when a 3210 was top of the range.

I don't believe it's unthinkable that given enough time, you'll be able to fully record, mix and master and album on your phone. You can do it on a laptop, they just need to work out how to compress the techonology. But given the fact that computers 40 years ago where a hundred times larger and hundred time more expensive and a hundred times less sophisticated than the average smartphone. It's not impossible.

20. Pixelscum

Pixelscum Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but there are some cool apps which will transform your tablet into a midi controller which is fun to play around with.