Reese modulation in FL

Artificial2

This is my 1st attempt at a reese which I did a while back using Sytrus, Fruity Filter and Overdrive. It's supposed to sound a bit like Sleepwalk by Matrix by the way. 12 second clip:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/10/10/2137293/Artificial Reese.mp3

I need to know where I'm going wrong with this. I've heard the Love Philter is good for reese modulation, but I haven't really got a clue where to start as it's quite a complex plug-in. Is there a specific control I should be modulating or just modulate everything in sight? I've watched a few youtube tutorials about it but they're all a bit sketchy, as if it's really a secret. I suppose if it was common knowledge everyone would be knocking out Noisia style squelching bass.

All I know so far is that you really only need 2 saw tooth oscillators which are detuned (by about 1 hertz I find), some distortion, some flanging and then to modulate the cutoff frequency using a filter. That clip though is the result of doing those things and it sounds nothing like what I want. :confused:

Any guidance much appreciated.

Try fruity Love Philter. I may post a tut on how to do a good reece in 3x osc.

youre perfectly right with the 2 detuned saws, great place to start.
but heres a great tip, chorus BEFORE dist. and maybe after too, who knows. same with flanger. anyway, theres a lot about this if you use the search button, i can get the thread for you if i feel like it later, maybe i get some coffee

youre perfectly right with the 2 detuned saws, great place to start.
but heres a great tip, chorus BEFORE dist. and maybe after too, who knows. same with flanger. anyway, theres a lot about this if you use the search button, i can get the thread for you if i feel like it later, maybe i get some coffee

Nice one mate, I'll try that and have a look for the thread aswell. You have some coffee. :D

Cheers.

there's no rule as to how many saw waves to use for a reese... You can layer 4 or 5 if you want to create richer more interesting patches. I'd start with 3. Blue has 8 osc's and can produce some mad virus style reeves

there's no rule as to how many saw waves to use for a reese... You can layer 4 or 5 if you want to create richer more interesting patches. I'd start with 3. Blue has 8 osc's and can produce some mad virus style reeves

Ah cool, cheers for the advice. This is a little thing I did earlier using just the 2. The sound reminded me of the tune Turbulence, but it probably sounds nothing like it. :lol:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/10/10/2137293/Artificial Reese 2.mp3

It sounds a bit better than the link I posted up top, I hope. I better swat up on this though cuz neuro is my favourite style of DnB.

Big ups!

Just keep layering and twirling the cut off and resonance til and chase a sound u like ;)

Cheers for checking that 2nd clip. I just used LFOs to modulate frequency cutoff etc rather than using automation (if that makes sense), so the warps are not really where I wanted them but I'll try automating stuff next time. I'll also try adding more oscillators. Nice one lads. :)

resample. do filter movements, resample, do more filter movements, resample, repeat. but slight filter movements they dont all have to be maxed out. gives it movement

I'm not even familiar with resampling yet. :confused: I'm sure it's important though so I'll make sure I do it, when I've had a look to find out how. Sounds like a simple thing that I've overlooked.

Cheers.

Thanks man. I was just wondering the best way to do it. I rendered it to a WAV like I do an entire tune, or is there a better way to resample in FL? Is there a way of exporting it straight into Edison for example? I'm asking because each time I render a WAV the usual way it gets a little bit quieter with every resample.

Thanks man. I was just wondering the best way to do it. I rendered it to a WAV like I do an entire tune, or is there a better way to resample in FL?

click smp or smt cant remember the name on the tab.......then look at the wave showin at the bottom,left click,edit wich will open it up in edison.

I've just followed the 34 step tutorial as well as I could with my very limited knowledge of production and it all went a bit pear shaped. :lol: There was some terminology in there that I didn't quite understand and I think it's aimed at people that know what they're doing really, unlike me. Having said that though it taught me a lot about the elements of a good reese. The main problem I had was with the resampling and EQing. I found that each time I recorded straight into Edison the resulting sample was a bit quieter (just like when rendering a whole tune) and little clicks started appearing here and there aswell. It couldn't have been clipping because I'd used some compression on the master track (though maybe I shouldn't have). It just seemed as if the quality of the sound deteriorated very slightly with each resample. I must've been doing something wrong. :confused: As for the EQing I don't know what "notching" is for example so I just sort of left it out. Also there's reference to adding a tube several times, but I'm not sure what effect that is and I don't think I've got one anyway. As I say though I learnt a lot from it. :)

This little clip is not a result of the tutorial but I took your advice (Logikz) and made the modulation more subtle, plus added a very simple bass and beat (excuse the fruity samples).

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/10/10/2137293/Artificial Reese 2a.mp3

Looks like this is gonna take me a while to learn properly. hehe

Cheers to you guys for helping me out.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom