Recording your mixes, Help?!

I don't think the software is key to quality recording.
I've bugged a few people about how their mixes sound so good. focusrite saffire's came up a few times and a few people have just said they simply have good quality rca to 3.5mm cable plugged into a macbook.

Personally I'm using a budget behringer uca202. But i think my recordings could sound better.

Goldwave is a good free download to record mixes with. I use that.

Had problems with Audacity in the past. Might go back to that at some point

Before my computer moved I used to just use phono to aux and record with Audacity. Now I record mine through an ION U. Goes from my mixer to the ION U which is then plugged into my phone with a microUSB adapter. Then I transfer the recording to my PC, open it up in Studio One, EQ it as the ION U seems to bulk up the lower end and crush the highs. Give it a tiny amount of saturation, slight limiter and it's sorted. It's a bit more hassle but it sounds better and it's quick when I want to record as I just plug my phone in.

I don't think the software is key to quality recording.
I've bugged a few people about how their mixes sound so good. focusrite saffire's came up a few times and a few people have just said they simply have good quality rca to 3.5mm cable plugged into a macbook.

Personally I'm using a budget behringer uca202. But i think my recordings could sound better.
If you're doing out of the box recording (recording your mixer's actual output, as opposed to just copying the digital mix directly through your DVS software, like for instance Traktor's internal mode) your signal path is the most critical point on your path towards a mix that sounds good.

I used to record in Cubase or Sound Forge through my Yamaha MR816, but I had annoying dropouts at times. So I got a Zoom H4N recorder, and just connected that to the recording (tape) output of my mixer. No more dropouts, and it sounds great.
Regardless of what you record on, it's imperative that you make sure your recording does not clip. To set your recording level right, throw two (or three, if that's your thing) tunes in the mix, and take out a nice margin. I like to have the input level peaking at -6db, this usually leaves enough headroom to cater for "unexpected events" (aka "fuck ups").

Make sure you read your dj mixer's manual, and take note on what is the recommended levels for channels and master output. Typically this will be around 0 on the meters. Going over the recommended level will result in distortion, and in worst case digital clipping, which sounds shit on most mixers (especially the newer digital ones). Remember that unless you're really attentive to level adjustments when you're mixing, you're likely to have higher levels on the master during transitions than when just one track is playing.

When your mix is recorded, there's still post processing. If you're not familiar with music production, you should just leave it down to these simple steps, using any of the audio editors mentioned in the thread:
1. Trim away silent sections at the start and end of your recording
2. Normalize your recording (note that if you're uploading it to Soundcloud, Mixcloud or any other streaming service, or converting to lower bitrate MP3 you should NOT normalize to 0db, but rather -2-3 to avoid clipping as a result of the MP3 compression)
3. Do quick fades in and out at the start and end of the recording respectively. This is to avoid small pops because the waveform doesn't start and/or end at silence. Your audio editor probably has presets/buttons for doing that, as it's a very common operation.

..if you are familiar with music production, you should be able to figure out necessary post processing yourself, but here's a few tips:
- Be less aggressive with compressors/limiters than you are used to with your own tracks. Compression and limiters in this context are just for smoothing out the volume a bit. Remember that the tracks in your mix already are mastered, so there's absolutely no need for making them "louder". For a terrible example of how bad it can sound, have a listen to the Nightlife 6 mixes (which are so hopelessly loud that I sadly don't listen to them much).
- DO NOT use master processing to "fix" variations in levels between tracks. Ideally, you should have handled this while mixing, but if you fucked up a track (hey, it happens), use volume automation or curves in your editor/DAW to get the level right for the tracks that need it.
- Some tasteful EQ adjustments can be good, depending on your material. If you're mixing oldskool stuff it might be that a gentle high shelf boost can add a bit of air and clarity to the recording.

I have the pleasure of internal record on my s4.

Prior to that and going back to my old old set up (1210's, djm500, mirantz audio cd burner) it was just a case of trial and error with my levels. From memory my best quality sound was mixer master at 12 oclock, channels gains at about 10 oclock and on the channels, bass at 10 oclock, mid at 1oclock and tops at 2 oclock.

Took me a long time to get those levels right. That's why i love traktors internal record so much.

i just wack the record button on traktor and it will record into your input 7+8 on the audio interface, if its been wired right but its just a phono from your rec out on the mixer into the Audio 8 or what ever interface you use.

Out of your booth....i presume you will have this as i am using the Xone 42)

6hqf13.jpg

into ya line 7/8....

2djph1l.jpg

set a tune rolling in traktor and press the record button (top right) twist your booth level pot on your mixer until you see a signal...(it baffled me for ages i wasnt seeing a signal it has to be quite high its very sensitive)

RTEmagicC_51428f29ef.png.png

if you are not getting anything, check the setting in traktor and make sure the channel 7/8 are set to input. and your mix recorder is set yo EXTERNAL.

also, make sure your split file size it set to the nighest, or you it will record in bits, like in 10 min bits so it will still record but it will set it to a new recording every 10 mins so you end up with a load of files you will have to stitch together..

hope this helps bro.

Out of your booth....i presume you will have this as i am using the Xone 42)

6hqf13.jpg

into ya line 7/8....

2djph1l.jpg

set a tune rolling in traktor and press the record button (top right) twist your booth level pot on your mixer until you see a signal...(it baffled me for ages i wasnt seeing a signal it has to be quite high its very sensitive)

RTEmagicC_51428f29ef.png.png

if you are not getting anything, check the setting in traktor and make sure the channel 7/8 are set to input. and your mix recorder is set yo EXTERNAL.

also, make sure your split file size it set to the nighest, or you it will record in bits, like in 10 min bits so it will still record but it will set it to a new recording every 10 mins so you end up with a load of files you will have to stitch together..

hope this helps bro.

Really appreciate the effort dude, I have an Xone 92, this does not have a booth output, only record, an that is connected to my Amp

3_zpsd0oioodb.jpeg

2_zpsuv8fgqft.jpeg

iv literally gone straight from record out to the record input on the traktor A10 front panel. then it just works fine man, not sure about your filters sorry pal.

Back
Top Bottom