Recording Vinyl

moriaty

VIP Junglist
Right

I've just finished recordingsome old reggae records on mah pc..
Cant say they sound bad or nuthin, but they sound like they could be a bit better...hmmmm...im aware that there some programs for vinyl restoring like "Clean " (not sure which company makes it..), but i mean before that , before even wiring up the audio to your pc, what else can be done to ensure better quality? Any cleaning tips? at the mo all i do is swipe them on me t-shirt.... :D
The way i do it is from my mixers rec. out, to my cards RCA ins, and record it on SoundForge...Would it be better to connect the turntable straight into the card? The card itself has a mic/instrument pre amp so if i can find something to ground the deck it should be ok....innit? wot bout if i use the mixers ground, but still put the deck to the PC :confused:

**help inside**
come on folks.me needs to burn a mix or too, havent posted one here yet...:-/ you need to feel mah rath!:gun: :crazy:

Last edited:
the biggest tip i can give you is to use a belt drive turntable, the belt will give you a sort of buffer that will filter out low level drive noise & vibration... which you can sometimes get quite alot of on direct drives.... BUT on the other hand... if you're recording a mix and not just sampling.... that's prolly not an option :D

i'd say plug the decks into the mixer.... chances are the phono pre-amp is better then the one on your soundcard (audigy?).

as for cleaning up afterwards... the clean thing you mentioned is a steinberg venture, and ive heard isnt that good. Instead try the waves restoration bundle... X-Click, X-Hum, X-Noise :slayer: :slayer: those things are pretty shit hot.

oh and for cleaning vinyl.... your local record shop will probably sell specific vinyl cleaning fluid & cloths.... but they might stitch you up for it (i payed £10 for my bottle :rolleyes: :shake:)

:thumbsup:

cheers dud..get what you mean about the low end noise...its very noticable when the bass breaks. senn some dead cheap turntables on the open market. i guess one of them with a new needle would do the job....and its Soundblaster Live! platinum..
:thumbsup:

try the waves restoration bundle... X-Click, X-Hum, X-Noise

r these instruments for Soundforge or standalone stuff ???**moron question**

Last edited:
I use magix audio cleaning lab - its specially made to clean up old vinyl, its heavy to record your mixes straight in to. Its got a load of filters, eqs boosts, etc to master even the worst piece of shit!

Back
Top Bottom