recording tutorials?

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So I'm thinking of trying my hand at doing some tutorial / technique video's to throw up on my youtube channel and on here. I've never done anything like it, so need your help.

What software do I need, to be able to record direct PC screen movements to show what I'm doing, the likes you get on most tutorials.....I dont want to have to have someone standing behind me with a camera etc etc.

Are they expensive or is there a free alternative, and are they simple to use?

Camstudio will work and it's open source, the only downside is that you are limited to files of 2 GB max. Now I'm starting up a tutorial section very soon on my new website, but since I will have Full-HD tutorials I couldn't work with Camstudio, I kept going over the 2GB limit with video's of only 10 minutes. My upcoming tutorials will be 20-30 minutes so I had to look at different programs. Then I found Adobe Captivate, which is commercial, but it's defenitely good at screen capturing!

I found camtasia to be one of the best screen recording tools out there and as ARTFX said, camstudio is a free alternative that does the job very well. Never heard about Captivate, but adobe programs are always of great quality. If you want to edit your footage afterwards I'd say you use Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere, but they're both commercial programs. I guess the real question is whether you own a pet parrot, an eyepatch and a boat or not.

Yeah, my tutorials will be recorded with Adobe Captivate and edited with Adobe After Effects and Premiere. Still going to be a lot of work to do!

Back
Top Bottom