Recording tonight. Any last minute tips?

Discussion in 'Production' started by kama, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kama

kama benkama.net

Going to record a violin and electric piano (the heavy, almost real-piano sized variety so it's pretty much immobile) to a tune I've been working on for a couple nights now.

I've never recorded stuff like this (only been helping in the studio for a rock/blues band), but I'm really looking forward to it. I have 2 small overhead condemics (meant for cymbals i think) and 1 with a larger diaphragm, but the latter is a bit shit to be honest. Might even be broken, can't get a good recording out of it. EDIT: OH mics are condenser ones, I also have 2 dynamic microphones.

Any tips/advice before I dive into this thing? What to watch out for, what to keep a keen ear on? How to place mics? Are the dynamic mics any good here?

2. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

Electric piano? Direct input. You can do all sorts with technology these days to make it sound real, but I'd much rather be working with a clean recording if possible! Or is it amped?

Violin i've not recorded, but I have done a ukulele which is somewhat similar in body and size. One on the body and one on the neck made things pretty easy. When you record with multiple mics, they can act like EQ's by adjusting volume levels. You'd want to use the condenser for that if the room is decent, but dynamics will often isolate the source sound somewhat, drying the recording out. Experiment with both, it's just something that comes with practice.

oh and, multiple recordings of each! You can never have too much audio to work with.

kama likes this.
  3. SafeandSound

SafeandSound Mastering Engineer

Point and listen on headphones, if it sounds bad change position and/or mic. Dynamic mics will not be optimal for these sources.
    Record at 24 bit and peak at -12dBFS or thereabouts. As suggested makes sense to Di the Piano unless amped. Best to mic and DI so you have options.Make sure the monitoring arrangements are sorted out nicely for the musicians. Headphones will make a lot of sense with such instruments.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
    Cheap Mastering, expensive sound

kama likes this.
  4. kama

kama benkama.net

The piano is amped, sort of a standalone thing, yamaha clavinova somethingsomething. Good sound from what I can hear, I couldn't tell the difference to the real thing.

But yes, perhaps I will DI it as well as record with mics.

5. BetaFlex

BetaFlex Member

don't they make special mics for solo violin? I would record it like an acoustic guitar tbh if I didn't have that pickup lookin mic. the electric piano should have a headphone out. if not I don't know what I would do.... yeah guess overheads might do the trick. gl sounds like fun